Rendering mix directly from session

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Thu Aug 07, 2008 7:55 am

0-it-hz wrote:God I love it when everyone posts what I'm thinking so I don't have too....

carry on!
yes indeed.

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:15 am

MoreSpaceEcho wrote:
0-it-hz wrote:God I love it when everyone posts what I'm thinking so I don't have too....

carry on!
yes indeed.
Vulcan mind meld in progress, please secure your katra.
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

mcsquishytooshy
gettin' sounds

Post by mcsquishytooshy » Thu Aug 07, 2008 10:53 am

@?,*???&? wrote:
Mark Alan Miller wrote:my tests were done with Pro Tools 5.2.1 software. I have no clue if this has been remedied
I can't get the time to adjust properly on my sundial; it wont sync up to the atomic clock.

Mark Alan Miller
dead but not forgotten

Post by Mark Alan Miller » Thu Aug 07, 2008 12:05 pm

mcsquishytooshy wrote:
@?,*???&? wrote:
Mark Alan Miller wrote:my tests were done with Pro Tools 5.2.1 software. I have no clue if this has been remedied
I can't get the time to adjust properly on my sundial; it wont sync up to the atomic clock.
Here's to the quote function screwing up again. :roll:
he took a duck in the face at two and hundred fifty knots.

http://www.radio-valkyrie.com/ao/aoindex.htm - download the new record (free is an option!) or get it on CD.

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Thu Aug 07, 2008 1:02 pm

Mark Alan Miller wrote:
mcsquishytooshy wrote:
@?,*???&? wrote:
Mark Alan Miller wrote:my tests were done with Pro Tools 5.2.1 software. I have no clue
if this has been remedied

I can't get the time to adjust properly on my sundial; it wont sync up to the at
omic clock.
Here's to the quote function
screwing up again. :roll:

Yup.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

T-rex
dead but not forgotten

Post by T-rex » Thu Aug 07, 2008 2:12 pm

@?,*???&? wrote:Related to this, I have a project that's just been mixed in Los Angeles. The mix engineer is going to be supplying 24-bit, 44.1Khz files of the mixes in a bounced format.

My dilemma now at this end is one of the following:

1. Do I create a new Pro Tools session and import the tracks and then play them out with stock Pro Tools converters to 15 ips, 1/4" 2-track?

2. Do I convert the tracks to 16-bit and use 'Liquidplayer' as a playback device because even at 16-bits it sounds AMAZING? Unfortunately, Liquidplayer does not support 24-bit files.

3. Do I have the guy in Los Angeles rent in a tape machine to bounce the mixes directly at his end and play them in 'real time' from the multi-track session?

4. Do I rent in an Apogee or UAD stereo converter for D-to-A out of Pro Tools to go to tape?
I am confused. The album was mixed by a mixing engineer in LA right? If they mixed it to 24 bit files, then what are you asking? They were the mix engineer and delivered final mixes, send those to mastering.

I don't understand what you could possibly do to finished, bounced 24 bit files to possibly make them sound better before mastering? Anything you do will simply be another generation between the finished mixes and mastering. They are what they are at this point. In retrospect, you should have had the mix enginieer bring in a bunch of assistants, a couple usb hubs, twenty mice and had them all mouse down on every plug in used while recording it to tape (and simultaneously having interns blow on the analog gear and turn the soar knobs back and forth ever so gently).

Seriously though, if you are concerned about bounces, have the mixing engineer dump to tape and send those to mastering.

And clicking on a mouse during bounce to disk changing it's sound means one of two things:
1.) You have totally lost your mind. Seriously.
2.) You should run, not walk, away from whatever version of Pro-Tools you are using. Run, run away now. Don't look back, just go. . .
[Asked whether his shades are prescription or just to look cool]
Guy: Well, I am the drummer.

darjama
tinnitus

Post by darjama » Thu Aug 07, 2008 2:12 pm

I've been testing out some of the ideas behind Jeff's theory, and I thought I'd share my findings:

1. Playing computer solitare while bouncing down results in your mixes sounding like they were done on a 16-track 1/4" machine. But if you lose, the it sounds like the pinchroller is worn out.

2. Mousing over effects makes them sound totally different only if your mouseball has been ringer using a green marker.

3. The mixes with the best stereo imaging are the result of simultaneously searching google images for "goatse" -- but this is definitely not recommended. Don't say I didn't warn you.

Jay Reynolds
carpal tunnel

Post by Jay Reynolds » Thu Aug 07, 2008 3:02 pm

darjama wrote:I've been testing out some of the ideas behind Jeff's theory, and I thought I'd share my findings:

1. Playing computer solitare while bouncing down results in your mixes sounding like they were done on a 16-track 1/4" machine. But if you lose, the it sounds like the pinchroller is worn out.

2. Mousing over effects makes them sound totally different only if your mouseball has been ringer using a green marker.

3. The mixes with the best stereo imaging are the result of simultaneously searching google images for "goatse" -- but this is definitely not recommended. Don't say I didn't warn you.
Also, I kneel down next to my g5 and whisper "billybillybilly...this is a big one billy" before the bounce. Once the bounce is finished, I jump up and yell, "Hey! We're all gonna get laid!"
Prog out with your cog out.

T-rex
dead but not forgotten

Post by T-rex » Thu Aug 07, 2008 3:05 pm

superaction80 wrote: Also, I kneel down next to my g5 and whisper "billybillybilly...this is a big one billy" before the bounce. Once the bounce is finished, I jump up and yell, "Hey! We're all gonna get laid!"
"The old billy baroo. . ."
[Asked whether his shades are prescription or just to look cool]
Guy: Well, I am the drummer.

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Thu Aug 07, 2008 3:42 pm

T-rex wrote:
superaction80 wrote: Also, I kneel down next to my g5 and whisper "billybillybilly...this is a big one billy" before the bounce. Once the bounce is finished, I jump up and yell, "Hey! We're all gonna get laid!"
"The old billy baroo. . ."
RED FARTS!
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

leigh
carpal tunnel

Post by leigh » Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:49 pm

Great suggestions, guys! That's why I read this message board, to get creative recording ideas that you just don't find elsewhere.

The BillyBillyBilly thing TOTALLY WORKS. My stereo field is WAY MORE SONIC now.

Also, I keep jiggling my trackballs while bouncing for more clear and transparent plug-in attacks.

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Thu Aug 07, 2008 9:08 pm

leigh wrote:My stereo field is WAY MORE SONIC now.
LMAO!

CG

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Thu Aug 07, 2008 9:17 pm

leigh wrote:Also, I keep jiggling my trackballs while bouncing for more clear and transparent plug-in attacks.
*goes blinder*

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Fri Aug 08, 2008 6:47 am

oh man. can we take this one to 10 pages?

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Fri Aug 08, 2008 6:52 am