Need advice from video sound and VO engineers.

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

newfuturevintage
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by newfuturevintage » Wed Aug 06, 2008 4:28 pm

dwlb wrote: we got our Zephyr about 12 years ago and it's still doing a fine job.
Best box in the business, IMO, unless you're doing lock-to-picture (even for that it's OK). Reliable, sounds good, easy user interface, and an analog phone coupler in one...well thought out piece of kit.

E-Rock
pushin' record

Post by E-Rock » Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:03 am

newfuturevintage wrote:
dwlb wrote: Hey, we've probably spoken once or twice. Though I haven't used EDNet for a long time.
Probably so, I've been with them for quite a while. You must be at Clatter & Din then? When you've got both apt and a telos, the need to bridge goes down in a hurry.

To the OP, some of the best VO sends I've heard have been from 416's. Some of the worst too. Depends on how well the mic treats the talent's voice. As for a preamp, I like something simple and clean like a grace 101, but have heard great signals coming from AT4033s and Mackie 1202's too.

As for compression, at least in my little corner of VO-land, generally, we don't want signal compressed on the way in because we don't know how it'll fit into the production quite yet. That said, I'm often working with VO talent connecting to studios, and it's better to not put that kind of power in their hands.

For fun, check out Corey Burton's (was the voice of Old Navy, a lot of Disney, among others) opinion of the 416: http://www.coreyburton.com/

Yup, I'm @ Clatter.
As someone else said, I don't really like a 416 for most talent. It's kinda 'ouchy' on a lot of people. On the right voice it's sounds killer. But it's amazing how many people use it. I think a lot of it has to do with taking the room out as much as possible.
We have a Soundeluxe (Bock) U195 that gets a lot of use, especially when I don't need to worry about matching anything.
We are moving to a new space in a few months, and when we do we are investing in some new mics. Lot's of LA folks seem to lean on U87's for VO work, like animation etc.

Totally OT, but 416s can sound killer on toms. :)
[/i]

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:12 am

I've been wondering about the Soundelux mics. Maybe next year...
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

newfuturevintage
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by newfuturevintage » Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:23 am

dwlb wrote:I've been wondering about the Soundelux mics. Maybe next year...
In that realm, for VO work, one of the few times I've had to pick my jaw up off the floor when hearing an ISDN feed was from a guy (name escapes me) on a Lawson L47fet. He had a very rich, 'last generation's VO talent' kind of voice anyhow, but damn, the combo of that mic on that voice was very impressive. FWIW.

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Sat Aug 09, 2008 7:10 am

sm7b and a mackie amp is fine..more classy chain fine..

99% of what happens on a recording is in front of the mic..

the big problem I face recording for TV in the studio is the room sound..build a good booth that is what will help more than anything else..