My New Record, Chris Garges, enjoy, etc....

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

heylow
george martin

My New Record, Chris Garges, enjoy, etc....

Post by heylow » Thu Aug 07, 2008 6:17 pm

Hey guys...

I just got done wrapping up a new record that I'd been putting together for for the last year and a half or so. The record was kind of a joint effort between Chris Garges and I and was a lot of fun to do.

Chris and I basicly had a long distance recording thing happening where I sent him .wavs and demos of tunes and we would kind of vaguely discuss what the tune seemed to be going for. Chris, then, would go into the studio and record drums, percussion, and anything odd he thought would sound cool. He usually did a couple of different takes and sent them back to me for finishing up.

This worked out really well. In fact, many of the demo guitar tracks ended up staying on the songs. At a certain point, the stuff was sent back to Chris for pedal steel overdubs played by the very talented Bob Barone.

I drove down to Chris's place in June and the record was mixed. It was a really good time and I had a lot of fun working on this project with him and Bob.

If anyone is interested in the fruits of this efforts, I have just put some tunes up on MY WEBSITE. There, you will also find links to the many photos Chris took while recording and some of the pics we took while mixing....they're pretty interesting in context, I think.

If there is enough interest, I can also post some of the gear specifics...I know what I used and I have lots of text on exactly what Chris used...heh!

So, feel free to discuss or to just enjoy. I think it turned out pretty well and thought a few TapeOppers might be interested in either the music or process involved in making it.

Word.

[dt]

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Mon Aug 11, 2008 11:54 am

Redirected from another thread:
channelcat wrote:Chris - Great work all around! BGV and steel sound real nice in the mix. Dig the bells on the first tune, too.
cgarges wrote:Thanks. I think those bells were the little ones on the wooden frames in the photo album. (I think they're from Pakistan. I bought them at 10,000 Villages.) There are also some sleigh bells if I remember correctly. Those bells were kind of all over the breakdown part and in a bit more of the song and we took some of them out in the mix. There's an awful lot of that kind of percussion on the record. And yes, TWO cowbells on one song.

Hey Dave, what happened to the recording log? I thought that was pretty cool!
Actually, after checking out the recording photos on Dave's website, I was reminded that although there were sleigh bells, those Pakistani bells weren't used. It was a giant set of maybe 200 keys (car keys, house keys, etc.) just tied together in a big wad with some mega string. They were sort of shaken and if I remember correctly (which is apparently a big "if"), they were probably panned to one side or the other. You can kind of hear them well at the break after the bridge where everything stops for three beats before the drums kick back in.

That song ("Till Tomorrow") also features a kind of classic Glyn Johns setup on the drumkit with a snare mic and a pair of spaced ambient mics, too.

You guys should really check out those photos. There are lots of pictures of the setup and the gear settings used during tracking. We weren't too cavalier about changing the sounds in the mix, so a lot of what you're hearing on the record is the sound of those pieces of equipment as they were set.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

mjau
speech impediment

Post by mjau » Mon Aug 11, 2008 12:00 pm

Tracks sound great, and the pictures are really cool.
Mmmm...boiled peanuts.

Brian Brock
buyin' a studio

Post by Brian Brock » Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:33 pm

good lyrics and voice

I really like dt.html on your website

HuskerDude
pushin' record

Post by HuskerDude » Thu Aug 28, 2008 4:57 pm

This is great stuff, I'm buying the album. Recording sounds fantastic, too.