Steve Albini Recorded All Wave Movement

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Fri Aug 15, 2008 7:57 am

mobtownstudios wrote: Do you perhaps think that he started this coalition to get people talking? Regardless of what's better or what not.
I somehow doubt it. Given how many threads we see per month here on digital vs. analog and the evils of quantizing, beat detective and autotune, I think a dialog is already well under way. No one needs to get people talking; they already are.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

DrummerMan
george martin

Post by DrummerMan » Fri Aug 15, 2008 9:26 am

Mark Alan Miller wrote: And overall, in many cases, I do agree with her objection to 'gridding' the music up. But mixing up quantizing and pitch correction and all that stuff into a 'philosophy' that also confusingly includes digital vs analog recording at the basic level is diffusing the argument, is diluting the whole point of what I think she's really after: performances vs. constructions.
+1

And about the next ska revival... it'll be mixed in as part of the 90's retro, which should be starting around 2011. If you want to get ahead of the curve, I suggest building up your ravergrungeska library now. :lol:
Geoff Mann
composer | drummer | Los Angeles, CA

AstroDan
george martin

Post by AstroDan » Fri Aug 15, 2008 9:30 am

dwlb wrote:
mobtownstudios wrote: Do you perhaps think that he started this coalition to get people talking? Regardless of what's better or what not.
I somehow doubt it. Given how many threads we see per month here on digital vs. analog and the evils of quantizing, beat detective and autotune, I think a dialog is already well under way. No one needs to get people talking; they already are.
You know, I can't think of any threads on the analog vs. digital debate. There are about a million thousand "don't you fucking start that shit" bites when someone has that look in their eye before they even speak, but I don't think any actual A vs. D arguments exist. Funny...
"I have always tried to present myself as the type of person who enjoys watching dudes fight other dudes with iron claws."

;ivlunsdystf
ghost haunting audio students
Location: The Great Frontier of the Southern Anoka Sand Plain

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Fri Aug 15, 2008 10:22 am

AstroDan wrote:
dwlb wrote:
You know, I can't think of any threads on the analog vs. digital debate. There are about a million thousand "don't you fucking start that shit" bites when someone has that look in their eye before they even speak, but I don't think any actual A vs. D arguments exist. Funny...
They're all around us, like God or the air we breathe.

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Fri Aug 15, 2008 10:24 am

*breathes digital air*

johnnydove
pushin' record

Post by johnnydove » Fri Aug 15, 2008 10:59 am

RodC wrote: Its all Brian May's fault... but shes not sure what guitar processors he was talking about.
yeah i found that really kinda funny too, but IIRC queen always claimed no synthesizers were used on their albums, i don't remember anything about guitar processors.
-johnny

Gebo
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Gebo » Fri Aug 15, 2008 5:28 pm

As it was in the begining, so shall it be in the end...

Patrick McAnulty
gettin' sounds

Post by Patrick McAnulty » Fri Aug 15, 2008 7:38 pm

wow, that interview was difficult to listen to. Not only did she sound like she had no idea what she was talking about, but you could almost here the Xerox machine adding 1's and 0's to it.
?_?

SpencerBenjamin
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by SpencerBenjamin » Sat Aug 16, 2008 12:59 am

I particularly like how her sister left her there hanging out to dry. You can cut the awkwardness with an axe.

Mark Alan Miller
dead but not forgotten

Post by Mark Alan Miller » Sat Aug 16, 2008 11:39 am

SpencerBenjamin wrote:I particularly like how her sister left her there hanging out to dry. You can cut the awkwardness on a splicing block.
Fixed your post for ya. All Wave awkwardness. ;)
And yeah, palpable, wasn't it?
he took a duck in the face at two and hundred fifty knots.

http://www.radio-valkyrie.com/ao/aoindex.htm - download the new record (free is an option!) or get it on CD.

DrummerMan
george martin

Post by DrummerMan » Sat Aug 16, 2008 12:57 pm

Mark Alan Miller wrote:
SpencerBenjamin wrote:I particularly like how her sister left her there hanging out to dry. You can cut the awkwardness on a splicing block.
Fixed your post for ya. All Wave awkwardness. ;)
And yeah, palpable, wasn't it?
Man, I could totally edit that awkward silence in Logic and you'd never even know it happened!!!
Geoff Mann
composer | drummer | Los Angeles, CA

quantumpsych
audio school graduate

Post by quantumpsych » Sun Aug 17, 2008 4:17 pm

vvv wrote:Kinda looks like a flag, no?:

I wanna start an All-Drunk movement where music is written (or almost), performed (sorta) and mixed (with the drinks) when drunk.

Wait.

I (and 25M other home recorders) already did.
lmao PRICELESS!!! :D
myspace.com/quantumpsych

;ivlunsdystf
ghost haunting audio students
Location: The Great Frontier of the Southern Anoka Sand Plain

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Sun Aug 17, 2008 5:00 pm

That interview does not portray Kim Deal as intelligent. I consider myself an adoring Kim Deal fan for life, but ... Sheesh. She completely failed to explain even the basic concepts about their little 'movement', while stammering plenty ... Which makes me wonder who wrote such an articulate summary of the movement's basic tenets, since albini has denied any direct involvement (or has he?).

The recent posting of the enhanced lollipop logo is superb. Well done.

So what exactly did Brian May shun on a Queen record?

thompsongs
ass engineer

Post by thompsongs » Sun Aug 17, 2008 9:24 pm

Tatertot wrote:. . . So what exactly did Brian May shun on a Queen record?
from my copy of queen's "a night at the opera" -
"No Synthesisers!" presumably in reference to freddie's operatic voices and brian's harmony guitar lines.

Spark
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Spark » Mon Aug 18, 2008 9:04 am

MoreSpaceEcho wrote:*breathes digital air*

Dude... Pass the Aux Send when your done.