Good music movies

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

mertmo
buyin' gear

Post by mertmo » Tue Jun 24, 2008 3:12 pm

Not necessarily a music movie by definition, but I always loved "Roadside Prophets" starring Ad-Rock and John Doe. That movie is so much fun!

ashcat_lt
tinnitus

Post by ashcat_lt » Tue Jun 24, 2008 7:44 pm

kung_fu_elvis wrote:Ooooh... the Doors.

I still recall when it was in theaters, and I found out my Grandparents had gone to it. I was amazed by their hipness... until my 'Nana' replied "We didn't care for it much... we thought it was going to be a musical..."

:shock:

And I'll reach for a limb while I'm here; That Thing You Do.
I went with my high school friends. They all hated it because we were straight-edge...except for the Nyquil...

Trick Fall
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Trick Fall » Tue Jun 24, 2008 9:31 pm

Some good stuff mentioned, but a couple I haven't seen.

The German movie Bandits, how could you not love a movie about an all girl band that forms in prison and escapes and goes on the run? Also I really dig the lead singer's voice and the songs are great. The movie also ends with a fantastic version of Saint Etienne's Hobart Paving which is one of my favorite songs.

The documentary American Hardcore was a really interesting watch. I was about two or three years too late for that scene, but was aware of most of the bands and thought it did a good job of explaining the times. My only complaint was there was either none or very little of my favorite hardcore punk band Murphy's Law. Lots of Minor Threat though.

How no one mentioned Rock and Roll High School I just can't understand. A movie centered on the greatest punk rock band of all time????? And totally fun to boot. I probably watched that movie over a hundred times when I was in high school.

I'll probably think of some others, but I'll also mention that the early John Water's movies all had great music.

jmiller
steve albini likes it

Post by jmiller » Wed Jun 25, 2008 1:17 pm

Run Lola Run was a cool flick with a mid '90s German techno soundtrack. Awesome opening credits scene.

Breakin' 2: Electric Boogaloo.
(Yes, that is the voice of Ice T rapping)

the finger genius
re-cappin' neve

Post by the finger genius » Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:36 pm

the fearless freaks?
vvv wrote:
That said, what I'm gettin' at is, perfectionism is for the truly defective.

You may quote me.

;ivlunsdystf
ghost haunting audio students
Location: The Great Frontier of the Southern Anoka Sand Plain

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Fri Jul 18, 2008 4:58 am

Has anybody mentioned the Pixies Loudquietloud 2004 documentary? I just watched that last week. Wow. Very interesting portrait of group dynamics, plus some great onstage segments. I highly recommend it.

David Piper
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by David Piper » Fri Jul 18, 2008 5:34 am

"Rock School" is a documentary about an after-school music program in Philadelphia, and it's what the "School of Rock" movie with Jack Black was loosely based on.

It is really great!

cooters
gettin' sounds

Post by cooters » Fri Jul 18, 2008 3:02 pm

The best movies i've seen are

I'm not there- the new bob dylan one

Once- pretty girly but really good music.

Searching for the wrong-eyed Jesus- really weird ass documentary about the south. With good bluegrass and blues

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Mon Aug 11, 2008 12:08 pm

I saw a few more good ones at the Revolve Film and Music Festival this weekend. Of particular note was "The Great World Of Sound" about a guy who gets a job as a "record producer" for a label/talent agency with some creepy stuff going on. Really, really well-done film. There was also an interesting documentary on The Monks with some great footage.

I also spent some time with director Matthew Buzzell and former Luna guitarist Sean Eden. Very cool people. Matthew recently released a film entitled "Tell Me Do You Miss Me" about the last tour that Luna did before their breakup. He also directed a really great documentary about Jimmy Scott a few years back.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

mjau
speech impediment

Post by mjau » Mon Aug 11, 2008 12:12 pm

cooters wrote:Searching for the wrong-eyed Jesus- really weird ass documentary about the south. With good bluegrass and blues
Yeah, I liked that one, although at times even I cringed at the overly sentimental southern romanticism (something my wife accuses me of from time to time).

lyman
re-cappin' neve

Post by lyman » Mon Aug 11, 2008 1:16 pm

mjau wrote:
cooters wrote:Searching for the wrong-eyed Jesus- really weird ass documentary about the south. With good bluegrass and blues
Yeah, I liked that one, although at times even I cringed at the overly sentimental southern romanticism (something my wife accuses me of from time to time).
speaking of southern music docs, and i apologize if it's been covered, but there's a good one called "last of the mississippi jukes." it's about the history and future of an "authentic" blues club/lounge in some basement in MS. pretty cool, with some good performances.

dave watkins
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by dave watkins » Mon Aug 11, 2008 1:29 pm

The American Astronaut - i highly recommend this film, it looks like Eraserhead, but is a sorta western/rocknroll/comedy (i find it funny anyway) that takes place in outer space in the future. music is by the billy nayer show, whom the director happens to be in. a rockin good time.

also:
i think sigur ros's heima has been mentioned, but deserves to be mentioned again because it is mind blowing, also i am looking forward to checking out the documentary on the band MONO from japan that came out earlier this year, since MONO is a band that makes me imagine movies when i listen to them... which is the only reason i am posting about something i haven't seen, i'll edit this once i have seen that it is triumphant.
the tape is rolling, the ones and zeros are... um... ones and zeroing.
http://www.davewatkinsmusic.com

Zoltar
gettin' sounds

Post by Zoltar » Thu Aug 21, 2008 7:59 am

Hardcore Logo was already mentioned, and I was thinking about it when I read the original post. In the 90's, Bruce Macdonald was making all sorts of great indie films with Canadian talent including Don Mckellar and Sandra Oh. Many of them had musical undertones including:

Roadkill - 'gotta make the gig' with really strange goings on. B&W, sorta hard to get through
Highway 61 - small town jazz fan follows the jazz highway backwards. great movie, more about the character than the music. the Bingo scene in great

Hardcore Logo - documentary about a fictional band, like spinal tap, not as funny

The Red Violin - Don Mckellar, not Bruce Macdonald, but a brilliant arty movie followings a special violin through its life from construction (1681) through present. Samual Jackson is also in it.

And since we are talking movies and music, I'm throwing in that I loved the music in the new 'Batman', and 'There will be blood'

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Thu Aug 21, 2008 8:13 am

Zoltar wrote:Hardcore Logo - documentary about a fictional band, like spinal tap, not as funny
well, 'This Is Spinal Tap' didn't have nearly the same degree of brutality and tragedy in it, for one.

we're apples and oranges here.
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

Zoltar
gettin' sounds

Post by Zoltar » Thu Aug 21, 2008 11:47 am

RefD wrote:
Zoltar wrote:Hardcore Logo - documentary about a fictional band, like spinal tap, not as funny
well, 'This Is Spinal Tap' didn't have nearly the same degree of brutality and tragedy in it, for one.

we're apples and oranges here.
I don't remember much about Hardcore Logo, but is it was worse than the flaming drummers?

Anybody actually dig the Flight of the Conchords music? I dig it. It is a radio/tv show, not a movie, but the music is worth listening to.