Any Hardy users out there?

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
SeventhCircle
gettin' sounds

Any Hardy users out there?

Post by SeventhCircle » Thu May 22, 2003 11:37 pm

Is there anyone out there who owns or is familiar with the John Hardy Twin Servo preamp? I'm hoping to find someone who's used this beast to review my new thing, the J99 mic pre that I've been promising for months. Let me know if you're interested.

-Tim

hurricaneE
alignin' 24-trk

Re: Any Hardy users out there?

Post by hurricaneE » Fri May 23, 2003 8:25 am

I'm a huge lover of John's M-1. Lemme know if you need a hand (hurricaneE@hotmail.com) -E

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Fri May 23, 2003 10:37 am

I am using John Hardy discrete op-amps in my custom console based on an auditronics son of 36 grand. Does that count? Hardy rocks.

ericblam
pluggin' in mics

Post by ericblam » Fri May 23, 2003 5:29 pm

tim-

i've got an M-1 (2 channels with the output transformers, 2 channels without). I've never used the twin servo preamp however. I live about 3 minutes away from john hardy. i was thinking about having a button put on my home security system just in case i ever have an M-1 emergency.

eric@blam

by the way, i love the 2 channels of N-72 that i put together (though i wish i had done a better job drilling the chassis....what can i say....it was my first attempt at racking something.....had i known you were going to make a chassis available i would have waited for one of those.....who knows i still may end up getting one). We had the drummer from Destiny's Child in on a session and he commented on how great the kick and snare sounded through the N-72. nothing but praise and thanks.

SeventhCircle
gettin' sounds

Post by SeventhCircle » Fri May 23, 2003 5:43 pm

E (and Eric, posting simultaneously!): Thanks, I'll be in touch. As you know, the M-1 uses a single op-amp in the signal path while the Twin Servo uses two, but it may still be a valid comparison in many respects. The J99 isn't intended to be a slavish copy of Hardy's Twin Servo, but people who are interested in the Hardy may want to consider the J99 as well. I'd really like to get someone who really knows the Hardy pre to compare and contrast it with the J99. And if you're interested in building the thing as well, even better. The catch is that you'll have to tell us all about your findings in excruciating detail. Sound like fun?

Joel: That's going to be one expensive console! Surely you're not replacing every op-amp in the thing with a 990c? Are you redesigning the power supply as well? Tell me more...

-Tim

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Sat May 24, 2003 6:59 am

Tim:

The 2 mix is all 990c. The auditronics I have is number 007 and has no VCA's, but had some really old IC's. The mix bus and entire master section has been re done with all 990c's. they live on their own pc board under the blank panels to the right of the rest of the master section.
The last 8 channels of this thing are getting 990c's in the mic pre section, but the entire rest of the board is burr brown, and all BC caps (from denmark, expensive, but worth it...)

They name of the guy who is doing this with me is Dave miller, from toronto. He is really good and makes some amazing compressors, and mastering desks.
He sold me on the idea of the 990c's in key places in this console. eventually I would like to have them at each mic pre. It is a labor of love with this old auditronics. I am even having a new elbow pad upholstered.... full crazy custom. really fun and I love the left of center great sound these old auditronics make.

edit: The power supplies are actually brand new, built into the old auditronics racks. I want reliable, and punchy, and the auditronics power supplies are notoriously scary.

hurricaneE
alignin' 24-trk

Post by hurricaneE » Tue May 27, 2003 8:55 am

SeventhCircle wrote:E (and Eric, posting simultaneously!): Thanks, I'll be in touch. As you know, the M-1 uses a single op-amp in the signal path while the Twin Servo uses two, but it may still be a valid comparison in many respects. The J99 isn't intended to be a slavish copy of Hardy's Twin Servo, but people who are interested in the Hardy may want to consider the J99 as well. I'd really like to get someone who really knows the Hardy pre to compare and contrast it with the J99. And if you're interested in building the thing as well, even better. The catch is that you'll have to tell us all about your findings in excruciating detail. Sound like fun?
Hey, Tim,

Yeah, I know the M-1 isn't exactly the same, but I figured I'd throw my name and qualifications out there if they'd help. I'm all for sharing my thoughts, but incapable of assembling the thing. Still here if you need me -E(ric, too)