Moderators: drumsound, tomb

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

The "Post your desk!" (and racks) thread

Post by RefD » Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:56 pm

on 30th August, 2004:
PICTURES!!
How about it?
Let's see those desks, consoles, racks brimming with knobs and switches and lights!!!

descriptive text and anecdotes would be marvy, too!
so, let's trot it out once more!

EDIT: seems i can't do simple addition without adequate sleep!
Last edited by RefD on Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:36 pm, edited 5 times in total.
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

mjau
speech impediment

Post by mjau » Fri Aug 29, 2008 2:05 pm

Have I done my math right? Are you one year short of a 5th anniversary?

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Fri Aug 29, 2008 2:12 pm

mjau wrote:Have I done my math right? Are you one year short of a 5th anniversary?
HAHA, you know...you're right. :oops:

*changes title of thread*

okay, to kick it off...here are a few shots from '06 to late '07 from my own humble setup:

top of the 24U main rack (3630 is gone and the 286A is not long to stay):

me dotter discovering that an unplugged pedal is pretty quiet:

ye olde 80s/90s synths:

anyone else?

or has everyone already gone over to laptops and plugins? :shock:
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

firby
takin' a dinner break

Post by firby » Fri Aug 29, 2008 2:53 pm

What are the black tape units. Why the black tape ? Did the manufacturer spite you ?
I'm a bad man!

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Fri Aug 29, 2008 3:12 pm

firby wrote:What are the black tape units. Why the black tape ? Did the manufacturer spite you ?
it's a pair of Alesis MIDIVERB IIs i still love and use.

the electrical tape was originally under a 3"x5" card that had my favourite programs listed, now it just covers the hideous late 80s logo graphics that tend to draw and distract the eye.

ulriggribbons
steve albini likes it

Post by ulriggribbons » Fri Aug 29, 2008 3:43 pm

Allright, I'll bite ;) I moved houses, so my console is gone, but here's my compressor rack at present:

roygbiv
re-cappin' neve

Post by roygbiv » Fri Aug 29, 2008 3:48 pm

Hey RefD

What is that ligh tan/yellow box in the middle of your rack. It almost looks like is says Realistic on it. For some reason it seems to be firing long dormant neurons in my head - I'm trying to recall if I had something like that years ago....or maybe it was all a dream...
"Decisions by the Secretary pursuant to the authority of this Act are non-reviewable and committed to agency discretion, and may not be reviewed by any court of law or any administrative agency."

Recycled_Brains
resurrected

Post by Recycled_Brains » Fri Aug 29, 2008 4:11 pm

Here's my little rack of doom:

Next addition will be a couple channels of solid state preamps.
fum wrote:Allright, I'll bite ;) I moved houses, so my console is gone, but here's my compressor rack at present:

Tell us about the stuff with the Shinybox logos. I'd like to hear what you've got going on there.
Ryan Slowey
Albany, NY

http://maggotbrainny.bandcamp.com

ulriggribbons
steve albini likes it

Post by ulriggribbons » Fri Aug 29, 2008 4:34 pm

ah,

The top two are some old DIY I did when I had way too much spare time =). They are the Gyraf SSL project.

The two Bloo LA2A's on the bottom were the first pair of kits ever put out. I already had the parts all gathered to build a pair , so when Steve came out with the chassis for them, I was ready to go so it made my life easy. They are complete down to vintage transformers scooped off ebay back before people were charging thru the nose for them.

The two boxes on top of the distressor are just convenient storage location (not compressors). the first is a custom reamp device. The second is a custom dual DI.

The DI is a messed with Hamptone JFP amp, running into vintage triad output transformers. This was the project I learned not to put the jack on top of the gain pot with ;) I dig the sound of it a lot!

Regards

Jon

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Fri Aug 29, 2008 5:13 pm

If the original one was august 2004, then this is indeed the 5th.

August '04, August '05, August '06, August '07, August '08

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Fri Aug 29, 2008 5:17 pm

subatomic pieces wrote:If the original one was august 2004, then this is indeed the 5th.

August '04, August '05, August '06, August '07, August '08
Fifth thread but only the fourth anniversary...

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Fri Aug 29, 2008 5:18 pm

roygbiv wrote:Hey RefD

What is that ligh tan/yellow box in the middle of your rack. It almost looks like is says Realistic on it. For some reason it seems to be firing long dormant neurons in my head - I'm trying to recall if I had something like that years ago....or maybe it was all a dream...
it is an old Realistic "Transistorized Stereo Mike Mixer".
apparently it's good for mixing groups of guys named Mike cos it sure doesn't have enough gain to be a microphone mixer.

OTOH, it's great for an unbalanced instrument or line level mixer and has a simple amp for each side based on a single metal can transistor and a handful of caps and resistors.

it seems to have add almost noise, even cranked and runs on a single 9v battery for months on end without being switched off.

$1 at an estate sale! :lol:

most of the time i use it for mixing pedals and oscillators and an Atari Punk Console to feed an FM-4.

sad iron
tinnitus

Post by sad iron » Fri Aug 29, 2008 5:28 pm

RefD wrote:
roygbiv wrote:Hey RefD

it is an old Realistic "Transistorized Stereo Mike Mixer".
apparently it's good for mixing groups of guys named Mike cos it sure doesn't have enough gain to be a microphone mixer.

OTOH, it's great for an unbalanced instrument or line level mixer and has a simple amp for each side based on a single metal can transistor and a handful of caps and resistors.

it seems to have add almost noise, even cranked and runs on a single 9v battery for months on end without being switched off.

$1 at an estate sale! :lol:

most of the time i use it for mixing pedals and oscillators and an Atari Punk Console to feed an FM-4.
Dude, I guess it didn't come with a manual. You're only supposed to use that when mixing more than one Mike...like band comes in and there are two Mikes. That shit will really fuck up a session worse than phase cancellation.

Even worse is when you have to break out the Allen wrenches. I almost lost a limb the last time...
New music: www.sadironmusic.com

Studio site: www.sadironstudio.com

Novel website: www.sadironpress.com

sad iron
tinnitus

Post by sad iron » Fri Aug 29, 2008 7:01 pm

crap. i need to read posts more carefully before making lame jokes. lame jokes are only good when they're fresh.
New music: www.sadironmusic.com

Studio site: www.sadironstudio.com

Novel website: www.sadironpress.com

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Fri Aug 29, 2008 7:02 pm

wait..."have add almost noise"?

:shock: