Book : This is your brain on Music : Daniel j. Levitin

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

Zoltar
gettin' sounds

Book : This is your brain on Music : Daniel j. Levitin

Post by Zoltar » Tue Sep 09, 2008 7:08 am

I am putting this in the "listening to music" forum because I think that is closest to what the book deals with.

I actually just started reading this, it is really good so far. There is also an audiobook that I am told has some musical demos, but I don't think it is as complete as the hard book.

The book is a nice balance of rock and ochestral, listening experience and the science of music, playing and recording. I'm just getting started with it, but so far, I'm happy to have found this.

GarryJ
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by GarryJ » Tue Sep 09, 2008 7:14 am

Just finished reading this - absolutely loved it, especially the sections on how the brain processes music, and how we remember music.

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Tue Sep 09, 2008 8:41 am

Just got it for my birthday and started reading it last night. Great so far.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

bipedal
alignin' 24-trk

Post by bipedal » Tue Sep 09, 2008 8:58 am

+1 on this book. An interesting read, delves into some psychological research while remaining highly reader-friendly. Pretty quick read, as I recall...

Not really a studio-specific book, but certainly would appeal to music lovers and musicians.
I like recording stuff.
Bassist, guitarist, pedal builder, recovering music snob.

David Piper
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by David Piper » Tue Sep 09, 2008 12:18 pm

I also loved this book! He has the smarts of a scientist, but his background as a producer and engineer means he never condescends toward pop music. He's talks about the effect different harmonies have on our minds, but also talks intelligently about the effect things like reverb and delay effects have on our brains.

He has a new book out called "The World in Six Songs", that I flipped through in the bookstore yesterday. I hope it's as good as his first.