more rough mixes for you guys...

bert
gettin' sounds

more rough mixes for you guys...

Post by bert » Thu May 22, 2003 11:29 am

you're input is invaluable, please critique! :)
http://www.chuckbeat.com/linesofsight/songdemo.html

some of you might have already heard "Darkened Heart Vessels" but substantial changes have been made, especially at the end. "Shopping Spree" is new.
thanks,
-bert

helstab
george martin

Re: more rough mixes for you guys...

Post by helstab » Thu May 22, 2003 12:05 pm

I really like the songs.

Darkened Heart Vessels:bass is really boooming...Maybe to much of a good thing?

shopping spree:I really like the guitars.

Oh and the mp3 quality sounds noticably bad. I think it might be my speakers here at work though. Sorry if everything sounds crystal on your end. Everything sounds like it was recorded very well, but I think the mixing could use alittle work. Help the parts fit together a little better?

But what do I know? seriously? Listen to one of my 3 recordings before you think twice about what I have to say

Wish I had some real speakers so I could really listen to them.
-Matthew Macchio$tab

bert
gettin' sounds

Post by bert » Thu May 22, 2003 12:24 pm

Thanks Helstab, the guy who posted these converted them to mp3's so I don't know how these links actually sound. And they are in the rough mix stage, but I consider these 2 to be closer to done than the other 2 songs we tracked.
Just out of curiosity, what did you listen to these on?
And yeah, whenever I mix I always have the bass too low or high, I gotta adjust that.
I can't wait for the guys to get them mastered. It'll sound schweet then.

helstab
george martin

Post by helstab » Thu May 22, 2003 12:37 pm

Oh I'm listening on some junky Altec Lansing compuer speakers.

did you mix and record the songs?
-Matthew Macchio$tab

bert
gettin' sounds

Post by bert » Thu May 22, 2003 12:39 pm

helstab wrote:Oh I'm listening on some junky Altec Lansing compuer speakers.

did you mix and record the songs?
yeah I tracked and mixed these.

dubphaser
pushin' record

Post by dubphaser » Thu May 22, 2003 9:36 pm

Bert - These are really great. The mixes were very well done. "Darkened Heart Vessels" didn't sound too "bottomy" to me. I'm listening on Alesis Point Sevens. I'd enjoy hearing some details about how these were done.

eeldip
dead but not forgotten

Post by eeldip » Fri May 23, 2003 10:01 am

yea, love the guitars... they sound like non-chunky peanut butter.

where did you record this? the drums have a little bit of "small room syndrome". or what i call: san francisco home recording syndrome.

music like this pretty often has the "big room" drum sound... so it has a slight offness. not a bad offness, something you could exploit... but i think there is a slight, sort of lack of relationship between the guitars and the drums... like the guitars are so smooth and big... and the drums sound a little uncomfortable with them...

are you following me? could just be my shitting monitoring environment. i love making comments about people's mixes with my $9 headphones plugged into the "line" out of the shitty PII i have at work.

bert
gettin' sounds

Post by bert » Fri May 23, 2003 10:21 am

I recorded this stuff at the warehouse where I work. I'm a big fan of the room for alot of drum sounds I get when I play in here, but the drummer for this stuff had a different sounding kit and just a different sound altogether. I guess I guinea-pigged the drums on this recording to see if I could get a big cavernous drumsound, but in the end it ends up sounding sorta small.
It might have worked had I had the guy play MY drumkit, which yields instant Bonham sound.
Anyway, yeah I placed the o-heads a little too high and I can't get the room out even if I wanted to. I could bring up the close mics but I'd have to squash them because of his sporadic inconsistant hard hitting.
The warehouse is about 3,600 square feet, usually always works out really well for a drumsound I like.
But yeah the guitar sound is kick ass. It's my buddies ghetto set-up:
an old beat up regular Ibanez guitar straight through a Peavy "chorus" somethign somethign amp.
=instant shredder sound.

bert
gettin' sounds

Post by bert » Fri May 23, 2003 10:34 am

dubphaser wrote:Bert - These are really great. The mixes were very well done. "Darkened Heart Vessels" didn't sound too "bottomy" to me. I'm listening on Alesis Point Sevens. I'd enjoy hearing some details about how these were done.
thanks man!
I did this with my usual set up of recording bands here in the warehouse where I have my dayjob. It's the only reason I really stay here, I can camp out here for an entire weekend with a band and work night and day, but in the end we have to tear down completely by monday morning.
Anyway I tracked most of the rhythm tracks on my Tascam 388, and then dump them into my mac with the Digi001 and overdub and mix in there.
All the usual mic'ing techniques, usual mics: 57's, 421's, d112, oktava mc012's,beyer m88 on kick, etc.
Me and my buddies all colaborate musically so I usually don't charge them to record. We have the luxury of time so we've been working pretty much at our leisure. Only been mixing for the last few weekends and for a couple hours at a time.
I cannot stress how beneficial the luxury of time can be.
Now, if I can only find time to record my stuff...

eeldip
dead but not forgotten

Post by eeldip » Fri May 23, 2003 10:58 am

wow, ibanez and peavey! sweet. how the hell... oh well.

bert
gettin' sounds

Post by bert » Fri May 23, 2003 11:04 am

eeldip wrote:wow, ibanez and peavey! sweet. how the hell... oh well.
I know, that's exactly what I said. But then i heard it come through the monitors and I was like "wow, could you go ahead and double that please!" :D

dubphaser
pushin' record

Post by dubphaser » Fri May 23, 2003 12:43 pm

So this was pretty much mixed in PTLE? Any out board gear while mixing? What kind of mic pre's did you use? I just am really digging on the sounds!

bert
gettin' sounds

Post by bert » Fri May 23, 2003 12:57 pm

dubphaser wrote:So this was pretty much mixed in PTLE? Any out board gear while mixing? What kind of mic pre's did you use? I just am really digging on the sounds!
yes it was totally mixed in PTLE, no outboard gear. Only had the RTAS plugins at my disposal. Just using a bit of reverb and compression here and there.
The mic pre's that I used for various things were either the pre's in the Tascam 388 (drums,bass), a mackie (some of the vocals), a presonus bluetube(vocals, some guitar), and the digi001 pre's (some guitar)
All the vocals were tracked with the RNC after the mic pre.
I think alot of it was the band's instruments.
thanks for the props! :)

Red Rockets Glare
tinnitus

Post by Red Rockets Glare » Tue May 27, 2003 3:46 pm

good songs, snare needs more crack bro.

bert
gettin' sounds

Post by bert » Tue May 27, 2003 4:04 pm

redrocketsglare wrote:good songs, snare needs more crack bro.
i know, eeldip already consulted me on the drums. I plan on remixing them very soon, the drums need to be as rockin' as the guitars. I was trying to give the songs a sense of "depth" by drowning the drums away with the room mic.
The thing about the snare tone is the guy's snare sounded round and woody, literally like a woodblock.
I really wish I had made him play my snare.
o