Windows Vista or stick with XP for Adobe Audition

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

bluesman
re-cappin' neve

Windows Vista or stick with XP for Adobe Audition

Post by bluesman » Tue Sep 23, 2008 1:15 pm

Is anyone seccessfully using Adobe Audition (any version) with a Windows Vista machine???

I am adding video editing to the list of too many things that I do & I'm about to upgrade to a quad core machine to put some speed into the video editing.
I do like the fact that I can stuff lots more ram into a Vista machine & XP is limited to 4 gigs.
Then there is the question of 32 or 64 bit?

I haven't made up my mind on a brand yet, but so....what are your thoughts??? PC answers only please....

thanks!
"The digital future sucks the boils off my white ass." McHugh

bluesman
re-cappin' neve

Post by bluesman » Tue Sep 23, 2008 1:17 pm

I should add that I am using Audition to mix live audio that I intend to sync with a live video of the same performance.

RedCrownStudios
pushin' record

Post by RedCrownStudios » Tue Sep 23, 2008 3:23 pm

Vista ia a piece of sheeeoot. Those extra 4 gigs of ram will be wasted on the bloated vista os.

A quad core xp machine with 4 gigs of ram will kill a quad core vista with even more ram.

Vista can suck my balls.

Did i mention i dont like vista?
Marshall Baker
Media Designer
Tulsa, Ok
www.MarshallBaker.com
www.MarshallandRoxy.com

ctmsound
george martin

Post by ctmsound » Tue Sep 23, 2008 4:01 pm

Seriously, just max out your XP rig and throw some 10,000 RPM drives in there.

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Tue Sep 23, 2008 6:55 pm

ctmsound wrote:Seriously, just max out your XP rig and throw some 10,000 RPM drives in there.
i agree wholeheartedly.

also, Vista is a crock.
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

kayagum
ghost haunting audio students

Post by kayagum » Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:42 pm

If you have a choice, stick with XP. I'm still in the process of trying to get Vista to play nice with my Audition software.

GooberNumber9
tinnitus

Post by GooberNumber9 » Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:45 am

I'd stick with XP regardless of the applications you want to run.

PS: 32-bit Windows Vista is still limited to 4 GB RAM:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa366778.aspx

Another edit: More complicating factors: PAE allows even 32 bit Vista and 32 bit XP to address more than 4 GB:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library ... S.85).aspx

Running more than 4 GB usefully will involve getting a lot of pieces together in the right way, including processor, M/B and BIOS, RAM, and operating system all to work together to make sure you are able to address and use the RAM.

For now, I'd go with 32-bit XP and don't break your bank going over 3 GB RAM. If you can get 4 GB cheap, then do it, but remember that as long as you stay 32 bit (which I'd recommend based on lack of 64-bit support from developers), you're still limited to 2 GB of virtual memory for each process.

bluesman
re-cappin' neve

Post by bluesman » Wed Sep 24, 2008 1:08 pm

kayagum wrote:If you have a choice, stick with XP. I'm still in the process of trying to get Vista to play nice with my Audition software.
Which version of Audition are you using?

Adobe says that Audition version 3 is Vista ready.

0-it-hz
buyin' gear

Post by 0-it-hz » Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:56 pm

Just wait for Windows 7.

Vista = Windows ME

It's just an intermediate release to keep profits up to fund the glacial development curve of their mediocre OS. Don't bother, you'll get left in the dust like all the windows ME users.

Windows 7 is slated for a 2009 release, that means 2010 realistically but you'll spend at least 8 months getting vista to play right and waiting for all the patches to do the same.

Yeah, vista sucks.
Everything louder than everything else.

bluesman
re-cappin' neve

Post by bluesman » Thu Sep 25, 2008 6:31 am

Thanks for alll the responses, I have decided to go with the quad core 64 bit Vista machine, also loaded with XP. That way I can do a dual boot & still use all my old software for audio mixing, & use Vista with 8 gigs of ram for video editing. My computer guy tells me that it is possible to turn off the resource hungry fluff in Vista & that it will run pretty fast after that...I'll probbly buy Windows 7 after it has proven itself & been de-bugged, but for the meantime, rendering video on a single core machine is not at all practical & 2010 is too long to wait.

GooberNumber9
tinnitus

Post by GooberNumber9 » Thu Sep 25, 2008 9:00 am

bluesman wrote:My computer guy tells me that it is possible to turn off the resource hungry fluff in Vista & that it will run pretty fast after that.
I would agree with this partly, but only in the case of new machines. If you have a computer that is more than a year old, I would say don't upgrade to Vista thinking that you can turn off stuff and make it fast. Some things you can't turn off.

Just wanted to drop that in for anyone else reading.

(must... resist... urge... to mention... mac...)

mattwhritenour
pushin' record

Post by mattwhritenour » Thu Sep 25, 2008 9:11 am

bluesman wrote:Thanks for alll the responses, I have decided to go with the quad core 64 bit Vista machine, also loaded with XP. That way I can do a dual boot & still use all my old software for audio mixing, & use Vista with 8 gigs of ram for video editing. My computer guy tells me that it is possible to turn off the resource hungry fluff in Vista & that it will run pretty fast after that...I'll probbly buy Windows 7 after it has proven itself & been de-bugged, but for the meantime, rendering video on a single core machine is not at all practical & 2010 is too long to wait.
I like Vista a lot, I bet most of the people saying how much it sucks never really spent time with it. I run ProTools on it perfectly.

Make sure that Adobe Audition works with the 64bit version first though.
And you might have a hard time finding all the drivers you need for the 64bit version as well, there just isn't as much support behind it.

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Thu Sep 25, 2008 9:38 am

mattwhritenour wrote:I bet most of the people saying how much it sucks never really spent time with it.
you lose, pay up.
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

ctmsound
george martin

Post by ctmsound » Thu Sep 25, 2008 12:31 pm

I spent two weeks on Vista and it crashed/froze/fucked up multiple times, every day. Brand new computer. I love OSX. 3 months and running. Not even a hiccup.

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Thu Sep 25, 2008 12:55 pm

ctmsound wrote:I spent two weeks on Vista and it crashed/froze/fucked up multiple times, every day. Brand new computer. I love OSX. 3 months and running. Not even a hiccup.
i used to hate on XP for being such a hog, even stripped down, but it seems positively sprightly next to Vista...and it crashes alot less frequently.

Windows 2000 SP4 is stable as a rock now, too bad MS dropped it several years ago.

"Oops, our most recent OS no longer vomits and dies every 15 minutes, time to release a new and more brain-damaged one!"

it's like they're TRYING to get ppl to switch to Macs!