I think I've found "the space"

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

dynomike
carpal tunnel

I think I've found "the space"

Post by dynomike » Thu Sep 25, 2008 10:54 am

The whole space is a detached building in an alley, in a residential area. It has brick walls, 8" thick concrete slab floor, but the ceiling is sketchy - exposed joists and at least four skylights (that I recall). Its around 30x40' altogether.

I'd love to keep as much of the exposed brick as possible... I'm thinking of doubling up the drywall on the one non-brick wall, sealing up any holes in the brick walls, packing the ceiling joists with insulation and dropping a drywall ceiling with resilient channel, and doubling up the glass in the skylights (new panes sealed airtight to the new drywall ceiling). Also doubling up the panes on the old windows (pictured)

Do you think this will be enough? Its a very quiet area, so keeping out traffic noise, etc, is not an issue... more an issue of me keeping mine IN so I can keep working into the night.

I haven't figured out where, how, or if I want to divide the control room, live room, and kitchen areas. I'd be living here too... the smaller room pictured is a finished bathroom and the larger of the two small rooms is a boiler room, on top of which I plan to build a sleeping loft (as pictured). Any ideas for that would be appreciated too, but I'm mainly looking for advice wrt the soundproofing. I'll deal with acoustic treatment later. Thanks in advance...

-Mike
Making Efforts and Forging Ahead Courageously! Keeping Honest and Making Innovations Perpetually!

thecheat
pushin' record

Post by thecheat » Thu Sep 25, 2008 10:57 am

OH MAN that looks awesome.

Who cares about the drywall! let the neighbors enjoy the pounding double bass at 3 am....

Chris
"It's like Tom Jones Gargling a Hammer."
http://www.alpacaranchrecording.com

JWL
deaf.

Post by JWL » Thu Sep 25, 2008 11:13 am

Nice space, man.

First thing you want to do is get Rod Gervais' book, Home Recording Studio: Build It Like The Pros.

But you have the right idea, what you are talking about will help. Ideally, you'd do room-in-room construction, with 2-leaf double walls and ceilings, but your approach could work.

Remember soundproofing is about mass, airtightness, and proper construction techniques.

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Thu Sep 25, 2008 11:18 am

as for the ceiling: if it doesn't leak and keeps the heat in during winter and the cool in during summer, you're pretty much golden...maybe hang some clouds?

my opinion.
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

dynomike
carpal tunnel

Post by dynomike » Thu Sep 25, 2008 12:27 pm

RefD wrote:as for the ceiling: if it doesn't leak and keeps the heat in during winter and the cool in during summer, you're pretty much golden...maybe hang some clouds?

my opinion.
Ceiling is already not great for heat, the landlord has told me, so I must assume its bad for sound too. So fixing up the ceiling is a must...

I have read a good deal of that Rod G book, so I know the deal regarding wall and ceiling construction.
Making Efforts and Forging Ahead Courageously! Keeping Honest and Making Innovations Perpetually!

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Thu Sep 25, 2008 1:03 pm

oh yeah, then definitely work on that ceiling!

i love how wide open that place looks.
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

centurymantra
buyin' a studio

Post by centurymantra » Thu Sep 25, 2008 2:08 pm

You're keeping the hook & chain...right?

:)

That place looks very cool BTW. Good luck on putting it together.

Bryan
Shoeshine Recording Studio
"Pop music is sterile, country music is sterile. That's one of the reasons I keep going back to baseball" - Doug Sahm

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Thu Sep 25, 2008 2:50 pm

centurymantra wrote:You're keeping the hook & chain...right?
that would be very handy for dealing with some singers. :twisted:

Smitty
tinnitus

Post by Smitty » Thu Sep 25, 2008 2:55 pm

love that designer chair in the middle there. :D

it's like you reached into my dreams! great great looking space. i love that you're living there too. congrats.
"I try to hate all my gear equally at all times to keep the balance of power in my favor." - Brad Sucks

joninc
dead but not forgotten

Post by joninc » Thu Sep 25, 2008 3:10 pm

that's AMAZING/ i love love love the space. try to preserve as much of that
character as you can.

have fun!
the new rules : there are no rules

joninc
dead but not forgotten

Post by joninc » Thu Sep 25, 2008 4:01 pm

hey i just realized you recorded an album that i love. kepler "attic salt" - that is a great record. did you do that at the current space?
the new rules : there are no rules

DrummerMan
george martin

Post by DrummerMan » Thu Sep 25, 2008 5:31 pm

Yeah, that hook and chain has to stay.

It's a tough call on what to do about the walls. On one hand, you could go the standard route and build the room within a room thing and probably be soundproof enough for whatever, but then you'd lose all that brick, which I would personally find inspirational to music making, especially with all that foliage outside. I mean, man, just looking at that pic makes me want to be there making music right now!

What about building out half of it as a sound insulated room? That half would still be pretty big so you could get good open drum sounds there. Then leave the other half as your CR/living space/quiet instruments zone? I dunno... that would be my initial instinct, but your priorities are probably different than mine.

Sweet space, though. Hope you figure out a way to make it work. Good luck!
Geoff Mann
composer | drummer | Los Angeles, CA

Artifex
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Artifex » Thu Sep 25, 2008 7:57 pm

Looks awesome. I'm happy for you. *thumbs up*

johnny7
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by johnny7 » Thu Sep 25, 2008 8:51 pm

I don't know... I would probably paint the other legs on the sink...just to even things out

dynomike
carpal tunnel

Post by dynomike » Thu Sep 25, 2008 10:17 pm

joninc wrote:hey i just realized you recorded an album that i love. kepler "attic salt" - that is a great record. did you do that at the current space?
Hey joninc,

We didn't record that, but my partner Ryan mastered it. Its a fantastic record! It was recorded by Dave Draves at his studio in Ottawa, Little Bullhorn. If you haven't already, check out "Tusks", Samir's new band... my old band played a few shows/ shared members with them here in Toronto and they're great too.

Thanks all for the encouragement and advise. I'm planning on living there, yep. I can't wait to get started! But first I have to talk to the landlord and finish up a design and pay last months rent and all that stuff.

-Mike