I need advice on renting a recording studio space in NYC

Regional activities, relevant news, job openings, studio searches, local beer nights (not a forum to plug the new album you just worked on)

Moderator: drumsound

hiddendriveways
pushin' record

I need advice on renting a recording studio space in NYC

Post by hiddendriveways » Sat Oct 04, 2008 2:52 pm

in the near future I may be looking to rent a studio space in NYC/Bklyn. I've seen the ads for shares, but I'm wondering where to start as far as finding my own space. I don't need a large space, or a control room, just a spot that is quieter than a rehearsal room. If anyone has some pointers I'd like to hear them. How much a month would a spot like this cost in Greenpoint/Wburg?

Thanks,
Sam

Shane Michael Rose
steve albini likes it

Post by Shane Michael Rose » Sat Oct 04, 2008 5:53 pm

why not just freelance?

hiddendriveways
pushin' record

Post by hiddendriveways » Sun Oct 05, 2008 4:41 am

I have my own gear. I'm tired of having my drumkit stacked up in my bedroom and my drum mics stored in thier cases. My girlfriend is going to move in soon, so I want to make the leap from home studio to recording studio.

Flight Feathers
re-cappin' neve

Post by Flight Feathers » Fri Oct 17, 2008 10:42 am

i've been in the same boat as you for the last couple years. finding a good recording space is very difficult. the problem is, the places where you are allowed to make noise, like rehearsal studios, are too noisy for recording. and the places that are quiet, you can't make any noise. and rents in nyc are not cheap to begin with.
5D Studios <-- my OLD studio
Flight Feathers <-- my band