Still Think Reaper is just a passing Fad?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

RodC
dead but not forgotten

Post by RodC » Sun Oct 05, 2008 5:05 am

@?,*???&? wrote:Nope. Not sold on this yet.
I remeber you were looking at this a while back, care to elobrate on your issues?
'Well, I've been to one world fair, a picnic, and a rodeo, and that's the stupidest thing I ever heard come over a set of earphones'

http://www.beyondsanityproductions.com
http://www.myspace.com/beyondsanity

LeedyGuy
tinnitus

Post by LeedyGuy » Sun Oct 05, 2008 11:47 am

I finally downloaded it and I'm going to give it a shot. I was under the impression that it was completely free, but if I really dig it I will toss them the $50. I don't really make any dough at my "studio" so to cough the full price is not in my best interests or the intention of the Reaper peeps from what I can tell.

-Ken
Current band - www.myspace.com/nickafflittomusic
My music - www.myspace.com/kenadessamusic
Recording space - www.myspace.com/twinreverbsound
HOT soul music - www.enzoandthebakers.com
Freelance drum hookups available constantly

jakerock
alignin' 24-trk

Post by jakerock » Sun Oct 05, 2008 4:39 pm

RodC wrote:How is reaper at recording lots of tracks at one time? Various reports of issues concerning this have concerned me.
No problems recording 16 tracks @ 24 / 44.1 through 2 Firepods chained together. I have been on the Reaper forums for about a year now, and have never heard about anyone having problems with this.

Best, Jake

@?,*???&?
on a wing and a prayer

Post by @?,*???&? » Wed Oct 08, 2008 5:23 pm

RodC wrote:
@?,*???&? wrote:Nope. Not sold on this yet.
I remeber you were looking at this a while back, care to elobrate on your issues?
I have already in other threads.

1. Poor Grouping

2. Click the mouse on a channel line fader makes the fader jump to that position. God, that is woefully dangerous. IN one accidental move, there goes your balance!!!

3. Confusion in dragging and dropping tracks on the program for importing. Not that there is a quick way to do this in Pro Tools either- but the application ought to automatically create brand new channels for you corresponding to each audio track brought in- unless you specifically drag one in on an existing track.

4. Is there an audio regions list hiding somewhere that I don't see?

5. No notation strip for level documentation

6. Channel representations to upper left have different features than main channel line faders.

7. The list goes on, I don't have time for something that does not instantly give me all of 'X' (in this case Pro Tools) as a minimum- regardless of whether it offers a few different features. No one wants to be slowed down.
Last edited by @?,*???&? on Thu Oct 09, 2008 8:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

rwc
resurrected

Post by rwc » Wed Oct 08, 2008 8:35 pm

@?,*???&? wrote: 2. Click the mouse on a channel line fader makes the fader jump to that position. God, that is woefully dangerous. IN one accidental move, there goes your balance!!!
To be fair it's the only piece of software so far that's let me ctrl-Z level changes!

IMO most every other piece of software out there has poor grouping. I solved this by just using busses, instead of groups, for level changes. But it is piss poor for editing especially if I'm ultra zoomed in somewhere and have to zoom out to select shit and then zoom back in to edit.. logic gets to me sometimes.

jeff we should hammer the cockos forums with these opinions. for real, the one thing this app has over pro tools is if you make a suggestion they'll actually take it.. and that's something we should take advantage of!
Real friends stab you in the front.

Oscar Wilde

Failed audio engineer & pro studio tech turned Component level motherboard repair store in New York

RoyMatthews
re-cappin' neve

Post by RoyMatthews » Wed Oct 08, 2008 8:39 pm

rwc wrote:
@?,*???&? wrote: 2. Click the mouse on a channel line fader makes the fader jump to that position. God, that is woefully dangerous. IN one accidental move, there goes your balance!!!
To be fair it's the only piece of software so far that's let me ctrl-Z level changes!
I'm still on PT 5.1(!) But I thought you could undo level changes as of PT7. Is that not the case? There's nothing more annoying than accidentally opt-clicking a fader and have it snap to 0. Especially when all the drums are grouped.
"If there's one ironclad rule of pop history, it's this: The monkey types Hamlet only once."

firesine
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by firesine » Thu Oct 09, 2008 12:31 am

RoyMatthews wrote:
rwc wrote: To be fair it's the only piece of software so far that's let me ctrl-Z level changes!
I'm still on PT 5.1(!) But I thought you could undo level changes as of PT7.
You can in 7.4 :lol:

Just curious, what is keeping you on 5.1? are you running TDM?
Mmm, lung butter.

RoyMatthews
re-cappin' neve

Post by RoyMatthews » Thu Oct 09, 2008 5:27 am

firesine wrote:
Just curious, what is keeping you on 5.1? are you running TDM?
Yeah, TDM. I got a good deal on most of the system and the studio I do most of my work at still has 5.1 so I could move back and forth pretty easily. I've had it for a few years now and it's been bulletproof so I haven't been tempted to upgrade. Now if I had $10k sitting around...
"If there's one ironclad rule of pop history, it's this: The monkey types Hamlet only once."

@?,*???&?
on a wing and a prayer

Post by @?,*???&? » Thu Oct 09, 2008 8:13 am

rwc wrote:
jeff we should hammer the cockos forums with these opinions. for real, the one thing this app has over pro tools is if you make a suggestion they'll actually take it.. and that's something we should take advantage of!
Perhaps we should. I should get over there and see what's going on. Most manufacturers peruse the industry messageboards.

As for a general philosophy, when one sets out to build a better mousetrap, doesn't one at least start with a Mousetrap? Pro Tools is the Mousetrap at this point...Reaper seems to ignore what's come before. Just like in music, one has to know history or one is destined to repeat it.

btw, here is #8:

8. Is there no way to Audiosuite or process an audio file with a plugin in with Reaper other than inserting it? And this may just be my ignorance of VST plugin technology.

darjama
tinnitus

Post by darjama » Thu Oct 09, 2008 9:42 am

@?,*???&? wrote:As for a general philosophy, when one sets out to build a better mousetrap, doesn't one at least start with a Mousetrap? Pro Tools is the Mousetrap at this point...Reaper seems to ignore what's come before. Just like in music, one has to know history or one is destined to repeat it.
Well, if you want to build a better mousetrap, sometimes you have to start from scratch. Reaper does things a little differently from other DAWs, but I moved to it because it combined some of my favorite elements of the two programs I used the most (vegas and samplitude), and handled multi-core processing better than anything else at the time.

A couple of your concerns have already been addressed, or can be by adding reaper extensions:

-Grouping: we covered this in the other thread, but I'm not sure you ever tried the new features: http://messageboard.tapeop.com/viewtopi ... 803#502803

-Region/Marker list extension: http://stash.reaper.fm/v/1257/reaper_markerlist.dll.url

-per-item effects (I think that's what you mean by #8 ) are available in item properties. If you want to process files offline, you can launch an editing program like Wavosaur from Reaper.

@?,*???&?
on a wing and a prayer

Post by @?,*???&? » Thu Oct 09, 2008 11:28 am

darjama wrote:-per-item effects (I think that's what you mean by #8 ) are available in item properties. If you want to process files offline, you can launch an editing program like Wavosaur from Reaper.
Uh-oh, what does one revert to the stone age here as if one were using Cubasis (application running inside and application) again?

No thanks on that. The program should be able to do this work itself.

darjama
tinnitus

Post by darjama » Thu Oct 09, 2008 12:32 pm

Yeah, different people have different things that are deal breakers. No faster-than-realtime rendering, no automatic latency compensation, and reliance on digidesign hardware would keep me from using a DAW. But people manage to work in protools anyway.

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Thu Oct 09, 2008 12:39 pm

darjama wrote:Yeah, different people have different things that are deal breakers. No faster-than-realtime rendering, no automatic latency compensation, and reliance on digidesign hardware would keep me from using a DAW. But people manage to work in protools anyway.
Faster-than-realtime rendering is great, unless you want to use your outboard gear in concert with your plugs, then you want realtime mixdown.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

Meriphew
deaf.

Post by Meriphew » Fri Oct 10, 2008 8:06 am

After I clicked on this thread, I thought I had accidentally clicked on a thread about rainbow colored glass (huge avatar).

@?,*???&?
on a wing and a prayer

Post by @?,*???&? » Fri Oct 10, 2008 12:35 pm

Looks like Nuendo is the real deal:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6oa_3gFTwiw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVmNnF2nciU

See, here's a program that starts where Pro Tools does and goes further.