KYUSS - "Welcome To Sky Valley"

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

Recycled_Brains
resurrected

KYUSS - "Welcome To Sky Valley"

Post by Recycled_Brains » Fri Oct 10, 2008 7:20 am

Jesus mother-loving Christ this album is AMAZING!

That's all. Just listening to it for the first time in quite a while, and I got excited.

It's stoner rock perfection. I wish they'd do a reunion.

You dig?
Ryan Slowey
Albany, NY

http://maggotbrainny.bandcamp.com

these_go211
pushin' record

Post by these_go211 » Fri Oct 10, 2008 10:08 pm

yes, yes, yes! love this release.
"well, it's one louder, isn't it...."

http://web.mac.com/chuckelizondo

thieves
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by thieves » Mon Oct 13, 2008 9:04 am

are all versions of this divided into 4 (maybe 3? it's been a while since i've pulled it out) tracks? it's kind of a fun idea, dividing it up into lp sides essentially, but kinda silly on cd.

but yeah, this album sounds like a few dozen harleys careening down route 66 at dusk. genre-defining record for sure.

Recycled_Brains
resurrected

Post by Recycled_Brains » Thu Oct 16, 2008 6:28 am

thieves wrote:but yeah, this album sounds like a few dozen harleys careening down route 66 at dusk. genre-defining record for sure.
Spitting whisky and weed smoke out the tail pipes and riding between the legs of go go dancers. 8)

I never thought of the songs as trying to emulate an LP format, but that makes sense. I like it. It actually has an instruction inside that say "listen without distraction".

Anyone have info. about the sessions at all? I know it was done at Sound City by Joe Barresi. Everything is so heavy in the low end, but it doesn't every really sound muddy. You can still hear everything clearly. I'm assuming there's some old Ampeg amps happening. Maybe a V4? Sounds like the guitar is all neck pickup on a Gibson of some sort.
Ryan Slowey
Albany, NY

numberthirty
steve albini likes it

Post by numberthirty » Sun Oct 19, 2008 3:55 pm

Recycled_Brains wrote:
thieves wrote:but yeah, this album sounds like a few dozen harleys careening down route 66 at dusk. genre-defining record for sure.
Spitting whisky and weed smoke out the tail pipes and riding between the legs of go go dancers. 8)

I never thought of the songs as trying to emulate an LP format, but that makes sense. I like it. It actually has an instruction inside that say "listen without distraction".

Anyone have info. about the sessions at all? I know it was done at Sound City by Joe Barresi. Everything is so heavy in the low end, but it doesn't every really sound muddy. You can still hear everything clearly. I'm assuming there's some old Ampeg amps happening. Maybe a V4? Sounds like the guitar is all neck pickup on a Gibson of some sort.
From what I've seen/read Josh's guitar during that time was an Ovation electric that was a variation on the Les Paul theme.

casacassette
pluggin' in mics

Post by casacassette » Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:20 pm

this album was recorded and produced by Chriss Goss (Masters of Reality) who also did the folow up and last album When the Circus Leaves Town. They tuned down to C (this was before the KORN-like bullshit bands). You can read about Chriss Goss, Josh Homme, Kyuss and Queens of the Stone Age in the beautiful TapeOp story about Rancho de la Luna....cheers

Recycled_Brains
resurrected

Post by Recycled_Brains » Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:51 am

casacassette wrote:this album was recorded and produced by Chriss Goss (Masters of Reality) who also did the folow up and last album When the Circus Leaves Town.
It was engineered and mixed by Joe Baressi. Chris Goss was producer. [from the liner notes]

I did read that TO article. One of my favorites. Killer fucking scene those dudes have going.

The acoustic track on this album kills. kills I tell you.
Ryan Slowey
Albany, NY

casacassette
pluggin' in mics

Post by casacassette » Wed Oct 29, 2008 3:37 pm

yes, you're right indeed. But I strongly believe the sound idea for Kyuss came from Goss though. Do you know the split they made just before they split up> It's great! (gamma ray sessions or later called Kyuss/Queens of the stone age split). Recorded at the rancho. Great vibe and great songs.

Recycled_Brains
resurrected

Post by Recycled_Brains » Thu Oct 30, 2008 6:47 am

casacassette wrote:yes, you're right indeed. But I strongly believe the sound idea for Kyuss came from Goss though. Do you know the split they made just before they split up> It's great! (gamma ray sessions or later called Kyuss/Queens of the stone age split). Recorded at the rancho. Great vibe and great songs.
I have not heard the split. I will definately look into that. I'd like to hear something recorded at Rancho. I always thought that that is where Kyuss recorded their stuff, but most was done at Sound City.
Ryan Slowey
Albany, NY

casacassette
pluggin' in mics

Post by casacassette » Thu Oct 30, 2008 10:30 am

kyuss used the rancho for all their pre production. Josh Homme (now in qotsa) recorded most of his Desert Dessions at the rancho (12 volumes!!), so if you want to check the rancho out, that's a good start. But also get that split, because the jams are unbelievable, they were all on mushrooms while recording...

Recycled_Brains
resurrected

Post by Recycled_Brains » Thu Oct 30, 2008 10:59 am

casacassette wrote:kyuss used the rancho for all their pre production. Josh Homme (now in qotsa) recorded most of his Desert Dessions at the rancho (12 volumes!!), so if you want to check the rancho out, that's a good start. But also get that split, because the jams are unbelievable, they were all on mushrooms while recording...
I love the Desert Sessions stuff. I have 1&2 and i think 9&10 (the one with PJ Harvey).

Great stuff. That's the sort of music making that I've been trying to make happen with my friends. Just jamming and having fun. Little beer, weed, whatever. just make sounds and capture it somehow.

Love shit like that.
Ryan Slowey
Albany, NY

Zoltar
gettin' sounds

Post by Zoltar » Tue Nov 18, 2008 8:37 pm

Kyuss, especially Sky Valley is fantastic. Whitewater is a very strong track.

the drum sound is killer, I believe it was a 24" ride, and some massive shells.