Why does everyone hate Steely Dan?

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Thu Oct 09, 2008 8:13 am

Knight79 wrote:still sound like dorky white dudes to me, I don't care who samples them
dorky white dudes can make good music too, just look at alot of the ppl on TOMB. :wink:
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

curtiswyant
re-cappin' neve

Post by curtiswyant » Thu Oct 09, 2008 8:23 am

RefD wrote:
Knight79 wrote:still sound like dorky white dudes to me, I don't care who samples them
dorky white dudes can make good music too, just look at alot of the ppl on TOMB. :wink:
yeah but we're "indie"

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Thu Oct 09, 2008 8:28 am

curtiswyant wrote:
RefD wrote:
yeah but we're "indie"
*drinks some more grapefruit wine*

how do you call a platinum-selling band on a major label "indie"?

right, the same way you called a band headlining Knebworth "alternative"!
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Thu Oct 09, 2008 8:29 am

RefD wrote:
curtiswyant wrote:
RefD wrote:
yeah but we're "indie"
*drinks some more grapefruit wine*

how do you call a platinum-selling band on a major label "indie"?

right, the same way you called a band headlining Knebworth "alternative"!
I was misquoted, I keep telling you!
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Thu Oct 09, 2008 9:28 am

mikeyc wrote:
subatomic pieces wrote: Plus, they just look like pussies. Steely Dan actually makes the Eagles look tough.

;)

http://www.channel101.com/shows/view.php?media_id=1766
That was awesome!

Greenlander
steve albini likes it

Post by Greenlander » Thu Oct 09, 2008 9:39 am

Well, I feel obliged to chip into this thread since I'm totally crazy about Steely Dan. The things that make me like them (if I'm going to sit around rationalizing it) are:

-I like catchy songs that are also complicated. They are the masters at this, where the vocal line is some chipper major key thing but it's being sung over the craziest dissonant chords, I wish I knew enough to be able to do it like they do, but my theory isn't up to it.

-I liked Jazz before I liked them, so it's fun for me to hear that element in their songs. They also do the more musak-y aspect of it, but it doesn't bother me. The classic albums documentary on AJA is fascinating in that respect because they were talking about how they loved 'fake jazz', like jazz on TV shows and the like. With the conglomeration of styles that they cobbled together (rock, jazz, r&b, blues, funk, TV soundtracks), it's almost shocking that they pulled it off into a coherent sound.

-I generally listen to music with some grit or sloppiness to it, I pretty much prefer it that way, but for some reason, the rigid perfectionism of their records doesn't bother me at all.

-The vocals are pretty hilarious/subversive if you take the time to listen to them, which I occasionally do.

sometimes I wonder how I ever got to love them considering how little they intersect with the rest of my taste, but there you go. i can definitely understand how other people don't, although I think it's just a reflexive reaction half of the time.
My setup: brain into muscles into hands into fingers into guitar into cable into pedal into cable into amp into air into mic into cable into box no 1 into cable into box no2

grockvt
takin' a dinner break

Post by grockvt » Sat Oct 18, 2008 1:22 pm

people hate steely dan because they are so good
end

timmymacdd
takin' a dinner break

Post by timmymacdd » Sat Oct 18, 2008 7:01 pm

I hate stealy dan because of the losers that love stealy dan.....

Every crappy guitar player I know loves stealy dan....

Plus I can't even name a song that they sing.

If there was a reason to listen to them in the last 20 years..........then maybe I would have heard them.

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Sat Oct 18, 2008 7:52 pm

timmymacdd wrote:I hate stealy dan because of all the awesome people that love stealy dan.....that and i couldn't spell their name correctly if I tried.

Every crappy guitar player I know loves stealy dan....and by crappy I mean they can actually play their instrument.

Plus I can't even name a song that they sing because I am incapable of paying attention to anything for more than two minutes at a time.

If I listened to anything other than tripe like Katy Perry in the last 20 years..........then maybe I would have heard them.
fixed your post.

joelpatterson
carpal tunnel

Post by joelpatterson » Sat Oct 18, 2008 8:52 pm

There WAS a time on Tapeop when re-written posts would get disappeared BUT quick.

So either the mods are getting hipper or the whole enterprise is shifting into a far coarser realm.

I shudder to think what the future holds. :wink:
Mountaintop Studios
~The Peak of Perfection~
Petersburgh NY 12138

mountaintop@taconic.net

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Sat Oct 18, 2008 8:56 pm

naw, i'm probly toast.

timmymacdd
takin' a dinner break

Post by timmymacdd » Sat Oct 18, 2008 9:02 pm

You can rewrite my posts......

I didn't copyright them.

I was just bored.......

and by the way most of the guitar players that I know that love stealy dan are quite good....they are just stuck in the 80's.

people that like stealy dan are probably similar to me....except while they were listening to them I was listening to madonna.....so I really don't know which one is better,

I think some music just passes by some people.

sad iron
tinnitus

Post by sad iron » Sat Oct 18, 2008 9:11 pm

those who don't learn from history are doomed to repeat it.

and again, to my favorite quote in all things message boardy: better to remain silent and appear a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.--A. Lincoln
New music: www.sadironmusic.com

Studio site: www.sadironstudio.com

Novel website: www.sadironpress.com

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Sat Oct 18, 2008 9:34 pm

back in the 80s i didn't like Steely Dan.

joelpatterson
carpal tunnel

Post by joelpatterson » Sun Oct 19, 2008 7:00 am

Some people are doomed whatever the history, whatever they repeat.
Mountaintop Studios
~The Peak of Perfection~
Petersburgh NY 12138

mountaintop@taconic.net