kick a dead horse: McCartney bass

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

lysander
pushin' record

Post by lysander » Sat Oct 25, 2008 11:53 am

Chaconne wrote:I found the Danelectro DC bass to be an excellent replacement for a hofner - if you play this with pick and palm mute its instant sixties.
Good Joey Spampinato (NRBQ) tone there too. Palm muting isn't just for metal heads.

the brill bedroom
pushin' record

Post by the brill bedroom » Mon Oct 27, 2008 8:02 am

bluesman wrote:I think also that Paul used a pick & palm muted a lot.
ding, ding, ding, we have a winner.

I have spent an inordinately large percentage of my life thinking about Paul McCartney's bass playing and, to me, it comes down to muting, flatwounds,, tube amp. I don't own a Ric bass (want one), but my 60's Hofner with the black nylon strings is great for duplicating that vibe. Muting is really the one element of bass playing that gets missed by a lot of younger players- it's how you can always tell when the bass player is really a guitar player just messing around.
check out what I did on my Otrari 8 track at
http://www.myspace.com/3903599

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Mon Oct 27, 2008 8:27 am

McCartney always seemed to have more of a "guitaristic" picking hand technique than most other bassists.

closest parallel in that respect that i can think of is Chris Squire, of all people...another Ric user, coincidence? :)

Squire, to the best of my knowledge, has always used round wounds, tho.

EDITED FOR CLARITY
Last edited by RefD on Mon Oct 27, 2008 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

Vogon
takin' a dinner break

Post by Vogon » Mon Oct 27, 2008 8:34 am

Talking of Danelectro, is it just me or does their site have pretty much zero information on it? All I get is pictures and price of a dano '63 model line... No "older models" or anything.
I use opera (and safari), so I wondered if it was some sort of code problem with the site.
Last edited by Vogon on Mon Oct 27, 2008 8:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Mon Oct 27, 2008 8:37 am

Vogon wrote:Talking of Danelectro, is it just me or does their site have pretty much zero information on it? All I get is pictures and price of a dano '63 model line... No "older models" or anything.
I use opera, so I wondered if it was some sort of code problem with the site.
nope, it's not you.

as far as whoever owns the Danelectro name now is concerned, if they're not shipping it currently (or soonish) then it never existed.
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

Vogon
takin' a dinner break

Post by Vogon » Mon Oct 27, 2008 8:56 am

Wow, that's pretty lame IMO. It really looks like they don't give a sh!t.

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Mon Oct 27, 2008 9:01 am

Vogon wrote:Wow, that's pretty lame IMO. It really looks like they don't give a sh!t.
agreed.

now, back on topic! :D

CraigS63
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by CraigS63 » Mon Oct 27, 2008 8:15 pm

RefD wrote:McCartney always seemed to have more of a "guitaristic" right hand technique than most other bassists.
Right meaning fretting, or right meaning picking hand?

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Mon Oct 27, 2008 8:19 pm

CraigS63 wrote:
RefD wrote:McCartney always seemed to have more of a "guitaristic" right hand technique than most other bassists.
Right meaning fretting, or right meaning picking hand?
HAHA, good point!

i meant picking hand. :)