San Francisco Music Shops

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Jeremy Garber
suffering 'studio suck'

San Francisco Music Shops

Post by Jeremy Garber » Sun Nov 30, 2008 6:41 pm

I'm heading back to SF for work this week, and I'd really love to check out some used guitars. I'm looking for an electric. I'm kind of in the mood for something strat or mustang like. I already have a LP copy I really enjoy.

The only shop on my list so far is the Starving Musician because I've heard they have lots of used guitars. Any other shops known for nice used guitars? Any pawn shops worth it?

asmara
steve albini likes it

Post by asmara » Sun Nov 30, 2008 7:28 pm

Be sure to find Rocker Guitars on Howard and 10th in SOMA area

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Sun Nov 30, 2008 7:33 pm

I know it's not guitars, but you have got to go check out Amoeba Records in Haight Ashbury while you're there. I spent several hundred dollars there last year. What an amazing store.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

Jeremy Garber
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Jeremy Garber » Mon Dec 01, 2008 6:55 am

asmara,

I did a quick search for Rocker Guitars. Reviews seem really great. I do hope they have a decent used section. I probably can't spend more than $400 or so, and figured used I could get a little more for my money. A lot of the reviews said they stocked top line guitars. Not a bad thing, mind you.

Chris,

I hit up Amoeba several years ago during my first trip to SF. I remember it being a great shop. I thought about visiting a couple of weeks ago, but I opted out. I may do it this trip.

adadan
studio intern

Post by adadan » Mon Dec 01, 2008 11:45 am

Check out Real Guitars, at 15 Lafayette street (it is kind of out of the way down an alley, so park and explore on foot if you don't see it).

Also, if you can get up north to Marin county, check out Player's Guitars in San Rafael at 844 B street (on B, between second and third), for a great selection of cool guitars. I did freelance amp repair for the shop while in engineering school (I still get up there to fix some of the trickier amps on occasion), and he usually has a good selection of unusual amps and guitars. He tends more towards the better quality Harmony, Kay, Silvertone, etc., and older, small amps than your Mustang/Strat kind of thing, but you never know what he'll have in the shop.
"There are no prima donnas in engineering."
(Freeman Dyson)

newfuturevintage
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by newfuturevintage » Mon Dec 01, 2008 12:42 pm

adadan wrote:Check out Real Guitars, at 15 Lafayette street (it is kind of out of the way down an alley, so park and explore on foot if you don't see it).
+1. More or less walking distance to Rocker as well. Not cheap.

Dr Rubberfunk
pushin' record

Post by Dr Rubberfunk » Mon Dec 01, 2008 1:21 pm

cgarges wrote:I know it's not guitars, but you have got to go check out Amoeba Records in Haight Ashbury while you're there. I spent several hundred dollars there last year. What an amazing store.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC
Gah!! As if the thought of some second hand instrument shops in SF wasn't wonderful enough, you had to go and mention Amoeba :D

One day I'll get to San Francisco, I'll be sure to wear some flowers in my hair and bring an empty record bag, guitar case and snare case too :wink:

Knight79
alignin' 24-trk

Post by Knight79 » Mon Dec 01, 2008 2:02 pm

i'm flying to san francisco on wednesday for a job interview, if all goes to plan i could be moving out there!.....amoeba is great, right by golden gate park. sorry just had to add that.

Jeremy Garber
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Jeremy Garber » Mon Dec 01, 2008 2:08 pm

[quote="adadan"He tends more towards the better quality Harmony, Kay, Silvertone, etc., and older, small amps than your Mustang/Strat kind of thing, but you never know what he'll have in the shop.[/quote]

I own an old Harmony guitar. I think it's one of their cheaper models, but the neck is one of my favorites. I've never played a Silvertone nor a Kay. I've always wanted a genuine strat. Just love the way they sound and play. It's a surprise I haven't picked one up over the years. That's just what I'm shooting for though. Put the right guitar in my hands with the right price and I'll take it home.

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Mon Dec 01, 2008 2:22 pm

Dr Rubberfunk wrote:Gah!! As if the thought of some second hand instrument shops in SF wasn't wonderful enough, you had to go and mention Amoeba :D
Yeah, I spent a couple hundred dollars there (after the gift certificate they gave me for doing an in-store) then went to Amoeba in Hollywood and spent at least $100 more there a few days later. And I didn't even get to the video/DVD section in either one. Damn store!

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

HuskerDude
pushin' record

Post by HuskerDude » Mon Dec 01, 2008 2:55 pm

You should try living 3 blocks away from it. I worry some months about making rent. :oops:

stevedood
takin' a dinner break

Leo's Pro Audio in Oakland

Post by stevedood » Mon Dec 01, 2008 3:16 pm

Leo's Pro Audio on Telegraph (in Oakland) has a bunch of guitars. One of their old stores in Concord closed down about a year ago and they absorbed all their inventory. I think they have 2 rooms just filled with guitars.
http://www.leosaudio.com/

percussion boy
carpal tunnel

Post by percussion boy » Tue Dec 02, 2008 1:27 am

HuskerDude wrote:You should try living 3 blocks away from it. I worry some months about making rent. :oops:
Yes. I did my last psyc internship basically right behind Amoeba, plus I live two N Train stops away.

Used to feel guilty about the overspending, now it seems like a privilege. There's so much stuff I wouldn't have heard without that store -- not just the inventory and the prices, but the great return policy too.

Recent prizes: Ornette's OF HUMAN FEELINGS, Mingus's AMERICA SESSION, the IMAGINATIONAL ANTHEMS box set . . . and that mega-rare early Joao Gilberto CD on Pacific Jazz for $20.

Amoeba killed half the good little record stores in town, but at least they did it with high quality.

----

Re the original question, I dunno from guitars. Guitars hurt my fingers.

rabbitw
audio school graduate

Post by rabbitw » Tue Dec 02, 2008 2:33 pm

i hate rocker guitars. total slumlord as far as his little empire of overpriced crappy practice spaces, and they ripped me off on some guitar pedal there years ago before I knew better. and i know at least three other people who were ripped off there. go to real guitars on lafayette. just my two cents. whatever.

Jeremy Garber
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Jeremy Garber » Tue Dec 02, 2008 6:40 pm

I've written emails to a few of the shops. The only one so far who has been keeping in touch is Starving Musician. I may even get a full free day out here so I may get to hit a few of them. I may go to Ameoba, but I'm trying not to. I know that if I go, I'll blow all the money I want to spend on a guitar. Hah!