Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

rwc
resurrected

Post by rwc » Tue Dec 02, 2008 10:10 am

this is an inspiring thread.
Real friends stab you in the front.

Oscar Wilde

Failed audio engineer & pro studio tech turned Component level motherboard repair store in New York

juliansilvaOnAir
audio school graduate

Post by juliansilvaOnAir » Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:06 pm

Hi all, i just found this out. Dr Rodolfo Llin?s is a very respected Colombian, as there are many, many around the world. The attention this thread has inspired made me realize there is a lot more to Colombia than drugs and violence. As joel pointed out, there are hardworking, generous people that want to lend you a hand in exchange for some knowledge, selfless people.

now i miss my city, damn!!!

read if you feel so inclined, there is a great analogy about how the brain works and an orchestra.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/12/02/healt ... ef=science

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Wed Dec 03, 2008 5:21 am

juliansilvaOnAir wrote:The attention this thread has inspired made me realize there is a lot more to Colombia than drugs and violence. As joel pointed out, there are hardworking, generous people that want to lend you a hand in exchange for some knowledge, selfless people.

now i miss my city, damn!!!
Yeah, man. Bogota left a really big impression on me. The music scene, the people, the food, the FOOOD!!!
I will be back, for sure.
The DIY scene here in the states has nothing on the solidarity and unified coolness of the scene there. Everyone has to work together to make something great happen. That is what pulled me toward the more punk/indie/underground side of things all those years ago, and the ethics, not the style of music being played, are the important part of all of that IMHO.
It felt really good to work with great people in a great place...
again: I will be back!!!

stevedood
takin' a dinner break

Post by stevedood » Wed Dec 03, 2008 9:17 am

hey Joel,

Nice trip report. Just curiously, I was wondering how long you were in Colombia for and how many of those days were spent tracking those 8 songs?
I'm also curious what sort of backup/storage/transfer protocol you followed-up with before going back home?
Thanks,

steve

*cisko*
studio intern

the bogota scene

Post by *cisko* » Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:35 pm

Well being here and still working with what ever we can get our hands on, i have ocme to realize that there is a lot of solidarity andn really never paid any attention to it. right now we are doing something similar to what happened with joel in a smaller scale, with a new band called V for Volume, the guys are from an old band called RAIZ (Julian im sure you remember) and a lot poppier than you would think coming form a nu metal background. anyway work is underway and we hope to come out with something worth showing to everyone,

www.myspace.com/vforvolume

Joel what was it you put on the snare?

juliansilvaOnAir
audio school graduate

Re: the bogota scene

Post by juliansilvaOnAir » Wed Dec 03, 2008 2:21 pm

*cisko* wrote:Well being here and still working with what ever we can get our hands on, i have ocme to realize that there is a lot of solidarity andn really never paid any attention to it. right now we are doing something similar to what happened with joel in a smaller scale, with a new band called V for Volume, the guys are from an old band called RAIZ (Julian im sure you remember) and a lot poppier than you would think coming form a nu metal background. anyway work is underway and we hope to come out with something worth showing to everyone,

www.myspace.com/vforvolume

Joel what was it you put on the snare?

Oh i am mastering that! i already did 2 tracks for them, Juan Camilo was here and visited the studio, they are really good friends, Hans is a really good Bass player. I'm glad Joel opened this window of insight about Bogota, the least likely place to learn about! :)

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Wed Dec 03, 2008 6:36 pm

stevedood wrote:hey Joel,

Nice trip report. Just curiously, I was wondering how long you were in Colombia for and how many of those days were spent tracking those 8 songs?
I'm also curious what sort of backup/storage/transfer protocol you followed-up with before going back home?
Thanks,

steve
I was there for 8 days.
Studio for 7, but with a load in the night/afternoon that I arrived.
Backups were made daily, multiple drives.
I left the drives with the client, as they had some additional tracking to do, and they bought the drives in the first place.
I did not take any tracks home to NYC.
The client will supply the tracks for the mix in January. I am looking forward to that!!! I have a few other records to get done before that, including a new one for Trevor Dunn and the tomahawk/fantomas crew. It is Trevors record/band called "Mad Love."
Then The DivaGash record and I am psyched about it!!!