Anybody heard of Phil Jones Piranha Bass cabinets?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

mwingerski
pushin' record

Anybody heard of Phil Jones Piranha Bass cabinets?

Post by mwingerski » Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:08 pm

I'm heading on tour to Europe in January and we're being offered this for backline... does anybody know anything about a 4x5 Phil Jones Piranha 4B Extension Cabinet?

https://shoppingcart.djangobooks.com/it ... ha-4b.html

looks interesting, but I'm not sure it might have enough balls-itude...

Gentleman Jim
buyin' a studio

Post by Gentleman Jim » Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:32 pm

I don't know what the brand was, but I know I was impressed this past summer while doing a stagehand gig by a tiny bass amp like this. However, I can't remember whether the show was Kenny Rogers or Garrison Keillor, but it definitely wasn't Reggae Sunsplash, if you get my drift.

From what I remember the sound was good, but somewhat diffuse; it kind of came from everywhere at once rather than giving the impression of having a strong source. So depending on what amp you're used to this might work. And of course four 5" speakers isn't going to put out tons of gooey low end if that's what you're after.

0-it-hz
buyin' gear

Post by 0-it-hz » Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:59 pm

Actually those 5" high excursion drivers put out quite a bit of low-end if they're in the right enclosure. I've heard these amps and that 25hz (quoted 25-15k hz.) is probably not much of an exaggeration, I was blown away at the extension of these amps at NAMM.

Now the bad news: YES, you can pump 300 watts into it but it will sound bad. They really only like to see about 200 or so.... the port noise and driver distortion is unbearable at high volumes. But 4 of them rock pretty hard...
Everything louder than everything else.

???????
resurrected

Post by ??????? » Thu Dec 04, 2008 11:13 pm

Last edited by ??????? on Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

???????
resurrected

Post by ??????? » Thu Dec 04, 2008 11:20 pm

I just looked at your link... it looks like you are talking about the 4x5?

4x5 would be 78.5 square inches, which is the same as a single 10" speaker.

So I would ask for two of them so you could at least have the equivalent LF extension of a 2x10.

I was thinking of the larger Piranha cabs when I wrote my post.

PeterAuslan
gettin' sounds

Post by PeterAuslan » Fri Dec 05, 2008 6:45 am

I recently mixed the New Orleans act "Papa Grows Funk". When they wheeled in the bass rig which was an 8T and 24B I was curious. However, it sounded phenomenal. Very articulated, plenty of low end and most importantly it looks cool. :lol:

mwingerski
pushin' record

Post by mwingerski » Fri Dec 05, 2008 9:02 am

I'll be bringing my Eden WT300 amp... it's small but 300 watts...
But it sounds like this might be about as powerful as my little 1x10 GK practice amp then.

not exactly reggae on the river... hm...

leefordwatford
audio school graduate

Post by leefordwatford » Fri Dec 05, 2008 6:23 pm

I've got one of the small Flightcase amps, and I love it. Great size and weight, the volume is surprising for what it is.

0-it-hz
buyin' gear

Post by 0-it-hz » Fri Dec 05, 2008 6:58 pm

Here's my opinion on Bass amps. A good monitor system on a big stage is gonna do you better than a huge rig cranked. Bring something that sounds fat for you and let the PA do it's job... take some of the money you saved NOT buying 24 18"s and buy the monitor engineer a bag of their favorite whatever and you'll be in heaven.

Big bass amp = 2,000 watts
Big outdoor PA (mains & Monitors) = 20,000 watts

I'll take a DI into the big one thank you very much.

PeterAuslan
gettin' sounds

Post by PeterAuslan » Fri Dec 05, 2008 10:38 pm

For some acts a roaring stage volume is part of the sound. Ac/Dc, Motorhead, Ace Frehley, and Boris come to mind. :twisted:

Jim Williams
tinnitus

Post by Jim Williams » Sat Dec 06, 2008 8:32 am

PeterAuslan wrote:For some acts a roaring stage volume is part of the sound. Ac/Dc, Motorhead, Ace Frehley, and Boris come to mind. :twisted:
Just look at Nikki Six's rig with Motley Crue. He has a row of Basson Sound 8x10's rated at 2k watts each. "PA, PA? We don't need no stinking PA! Those 10" drivers are rated at 1000 watts each. Their 1x10" will fill a small club.
Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades

mwingerski
pushin' record

Post by mwingerski » Sat Dec 06, 2008 11:08 am

I think we're going to be playing in small clubs with questionable PA's... as in it may be a small PA that probably doesn't have subs... so the bass coming off the stage will be responsible for most of the low end...

I'm not looking for super heavy dub bass, but since bass is a pretty big part of the sound of the band, it does need to carry some body...

i'm figuring that a 4x5 cabinet is probably not quite up to the job of carrying bass over the drum kit in a club... probably fine for a practice space, but not for an audience of more than 20 people... i've asked for an extra one of these boxes, at least then I could have 2 of them to bring up the low end...

I know the wattage isn't as big of a deal as having a cabinet that delivers some feeling...

0-it-hz
buyin' gear

Post by 0-it-hz » Sun Dec 07, 2008 1:37 am

Let me dig up the e-mail address of the guy who builds dummy cabs for metallica and AC/DC... they're empty and made to fold down for transport.

I'm not saying some groups don't play loud on stage... but some loud bands are actually using little amps mic'd up backstage.. Like metallica for instance.

And NO wall of amps can match the power & SPL of a big ass monitor rig....well, maybe at 3K :)

Jim Williams
tinnitus

Post by Jim Williams » Sun Dec 07, 2008 7:57 am

0-it-hz wrote:Let me dig up the e-mail address of the guy who builds dummy cabs for metallica and AC/DC... they're empty and made to fold down for transport.
I'm not saying some groups don't play loud on stage... but some loud bands are actually using little amps mic'd up backstage.. Like metallica for instance.
And NO wall of amps can match the power & SPL of a big ass monitor rig....well, maybe at 3K :)
I'm guessing that you never heard Blue Cheer in the late 60's. They used 40 Marshall stacks on stage. They were beyond loud.
Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades