I know Auto-Tune is evil but...

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Huntlabs
pushin' record

I know Auto-Tune is evil but...

Post by Huntlabs » Thu Dec 04, 2008 11:47 pm

I've got Autotune 4 and sometimes it is a good tool, although I feel a bit dirty using it (like some sort of nasty sex toy).

So my question is: Is there much of a difference between AT4 and AT EVO, both TDM. Don't know if I need to upgrade or if AT 4 is basically the same thing. Seems like lots of plug in upgrades are more about a nicer looking interface than any sonic improvement. Upgrade would cost me $170.00.

I feel like I should wash my hands now.....
"Add water, makes its own sauce"

www.CRACKERTONES.com

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Fri Dec 05, 2008 9:39 am

Hi,

I just bought the EVO one, with the added "tools"

It sounds the best, out of all the other versions that have come before it. I think they changed a lot of the code, it is now smoother, and causes less artifacts when used.

That said, I still prefer the singers actually sing their parts correctly. For F**K's sake.

And one thing I have found works well, is when you do have someone flat or sharp all the time, use a good pitch shfiter, like Serato Pitch N Time, and do a general slight adjusment first. sometimes this makes alot of difference, rather than manuall or automatically using "The Doo-Doo Fixer Tool",as I call it.

Cheers
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Fri Dec 05, 2008 1:17 pm

I use Waves TUNE and "pitch doctor" by wave mechanics, or soundtoys now because waves sued them or something.

Waves TUNE is incredible.

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Fri Dec 05, 2008 1:22 pm

Also, I meant to move this to COMPUTER WORLD.
Can the mod of this forum move this to computer world?!? whoops. um.. hehe... um... yeah.

@?,*???&?
on a wing and a prayer

Post by @?,*???&? » Fri Dec 05, 2008 4:01 pm

TC Electronics Voiceworx has got a great tuner in it. Way better than the AutoTune plugin.

Huntlabs
pushin' record

Post by Huntlabs » Fri Dec 05, 2008 4:06 pm

So I guess the consensus is that I should not spend $170.00 to upgrade to the most current TDM version, from my current version #4.

Thanks.
"Add water, makes its own sauce"

www.CRACKERTONES.com

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Sat Dec 06, 2008 8:00 am

Huntlabs wrote:So I guess the consensus is that I should not spend $170.00 to upgrade to the most current TDM version, from my current version #4.

Thanks.
I dunno. If your use of it is working now, then the new version is much much better, by far.
It works like waves tune now. really.

John Jeffers
buyin' a studio

Post by John Jeffers » Sat Dec 06, 2008 6:16 pm

I have both AT EVO and Waves Tune. I prefer Tune. It's so damn easy to get pitch correction that doesn't sound like it's been corrected. I still feel like I have to fight with EVO to get what I want. Waves Tune is intuitive.

And people, can we please stop acting like vocal tuners are evil? They're just tools, FFS. We're not all indie purists on this board.

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Sun Dec 07, 2008 12:10 am

John Jeffers wrote:And people, can we please stop acting like vocal tuners are evil? They're just tools, FFS. We're not all indie purists on this board.
+1
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

solo-bration
gettin' sounds

Post by solo-bration » Mon Dec 08, 2008 6:34 am

John Jeffers wrote:And people, can we please stop acting like vocal tuners are evil? They're just tools, FFS.
Haha, yeah I'm with you guys. I've definitely felt guilty about over-using the "tools", but I've come to terms with it and understand it's part of what I do - if that's what the client wants.
John Jeffers wrote:We're not all indie purists on this board.
That's probably the only thing I wish this board/mag had a little less of. I think it's fun to read about interesting/non-traditional/"out-there" techniques & engineers. But, for me, there's a tad too much yard-sale mickey-mousing here, and maybe not enough coverage on the newer tools/techniques and the engineers pioneering them.

I understand that TapeOp comes from the underground/punkrock ethos. I love reading interviews with the 'old' guys(they know the most!), but we shouldn't be afraid to embrace the new school either.

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Mon Dec 08, 2008 7:13 am

solo-bration wrote:That's probably the only thing I wish this board/mag had a little less of. I think it's fun to read about interesting/non-traditional/"out-there" techniques & engineers. But, for me, there's a tad too much yard-sale mickey-mousing here, and maybe not enough coverage on the newer tools/techniques and the engineers pioneering them.
I'd love to see what "newer tools/techniques" or "pioneering" engineers that you feel are being ignored.
solo-bration wrote:I understand that TapeOp comes from the underground/punkrock ethos. I love reading interviews with the 'old' guys(they know the most!), but we shouldn't be afraid to embrace the new school either.
Oh, come on... TapeOp has had plenty of articles about people pushing the boundaries, discovering new things, and pioneering new techniques.

TapeOp was, is, and always will be "The Creative Music Recording Magazine".

And, you'll find plenty of discussions on this board where people pushing dogma are rightly put in their place.

I'm not sure exactly what you guys are wanting.

If you just want to see in-depth analysis of techniques used to manufacture mass produced commercial garbage at major labels, then there are other magazines and forums where you can read about that stuff all day.

But, if you want to see stories of interesting people, using new techniques and new technology to create something interesting and CREATIVE, then just keep your eyes open. That stuff pops up in TapeOp and on this board, all the time.

nopenopenope
gettin' sounds

Post by nopenopenope » Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:18 am

John Jeffers wrote:And people, can we please stop acting like vocal tuners are evil? They're just tools, FFS. We're not all indie purists on this board.
not only is autotuning evil: it's a plugin. which means it's a FAKE tool.

[/sarcasm]