Drummers: zildjians, or sabians?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Chris_Avakian
steve albini likes it

Drummers: zildjians, or sabians?

Post by Chris_Avakian » Sun Dec 14, 2008 1:54 am

specifically avedis fast crashes, or sabian aa's?

i've got a vintage slingerland kit measuring 24x14, 13x8, 18x16, with a steel 14x6 snare. im a pretty hard hitter, so the sabians are turning me off right away, but i think thats only because when i was younger i blew through an entire cymbal pack of b8pros (including the ride) every 6 months, or so.

anyways. i need an 18, and a 16 by early new year, and i've got it narrowed down to those.

any thoughts on sound? durability?

Judas Jetski
carpal tunnel

Post by Judas Jetski » Sun Dec 14, 2008 4:46 am

I use both Zildj and Sabian crashes (A and AA). I like both. The Sabians seem to get out of the way quicker, the Zildjian tends to have a more complex tone. I tend to like the more complex tones a little more, but there's no arguing the practicality of not having cymbal sound blathering all over everything when you don't want it there, so it makes sense that my Sabians are my heavy crashes and I usually save the Zildjian stuff more for accent work. I tend to like three crashes, but I'm down to two since one cracked (I let a friend use it. He was hitting them wrong, and had the nuts cranked all the way down so the cymbals were all stiff).

In my experience, if your cymbals are cracking you're not hitting them right. When I changed my style with my cymbals they stopped breaking. Make sure you are striking a glancing blow, and make sure the cymbal has room to move around after you whack it. I found they sounded better (once I got used to it) like that. I also found that my cymbals sound better when I go easy on them.

Not sure about the B8's though. I wouldn't judge a cymbal company by a low-end line like that.

I love vintage Slingerland stuff. Those drum sizes are unusual. What year drum set is it?
New Judas Jetski EP up! andysmash.bandcamp.com

www.andysmash.com

mvollrath
gettin' sounds

Post by mvollrath » Sun Dec 14, 2008 8:37 am

I guess you're playing rock stuff since you're breaking cymbals? I've been playing all AA's since I got a great deal on a pack, and they make nice brass for rock stuff, but I'm looking for some new cymbals for jazz/fusion tones. The crashes (I use 17 and 19) are very clean and simple, and can really be used for anything imo, but I'm still looking for something a bit more colorful. I saw a guy playing mostly Bosphorus at a gig the other night and liked it so much I decided to start saving up for drum upgrades. Never tried Avedis.

As far as durability, I've never broken or damaged a cymbal, so I don't know how AA's compare. I figure as long as I don't play like I'm trying to break my gear, I probably won't.

getreel
carpal tunnel

Post by getreel » Sun Dec 14, 2008 9:22 am

I have Sabian AAX studio hate and they are great for recording. Nice even tone with good wash if you need it. I have Zildjian A crashes and they are fine, but haven't compared to Sabian. I am using a Paiste ride that's great for the rock stuff I do but also have a darker old 60s A Zildjian that's good for blues, jazz or older rock(rock n roll like they used to call it). The Sabian hats really surprised me though. I think I would rally like all their stuff if I could try it.

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Sun Dec 14, 2008 10:30 am

mvollrath wrote:I guess you're playing rock stuff since you're breaking cymbals?
Why does everyone always forget that Stan Levey broke cymbals all the time? You don't have to play rock to break cymbals and you don't have to suck to break cymbals. It happens to the best of us from time to time. Sometimes it's a result of technique or emotional involvement, but sometimes it's a stress fracture from stacking during shipping or sometimes it's impurities in the metals or a hammering mistake. There's also no rhyme or reason as to which cymbals are more or less durable in terms of manufacturers. There are an equal number of people who have never broken a Paiste and people who have never broken a Zildjian or whatever.

Buy the ones you think sound better. If you're really concerned about breakage, go to a store that offers an extended warranty (I know that GC's extended warranty on Paistes is an additional three years). If you're sure you're gonna blow through them inside of a year, then don't get the extended warranty and just have the manufacturers replace them for as long as they're willing to. (Most manufacturer's warranties on cymbals are one year.)

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC
Last edited by cgarges on Sun Dec 14, 2008 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sean Sullivan
moves faders with mind

Post by Sean Sullivan » Sun Dec 14, 2008 10:57 am

Seriously, I've heard Zildjian, Sabian, and Paiste of all kind and each brand has their highlights, but there are some people who like models I hate, it's a personal preference. I can say that Sabian have a low resale value and you can generally find them cheaper. I like the Hand Hammered series. Personally, I'm a Zildjian fan, I like A and K series, but the Paiste Signature series is great but pricey. I have a pair of Dark Crisp hi-hats I really like.
Still waiting for a Luna reunion

HeavyHand
takin' a dinner break

Post by HeavyHand » Sun Dec 14, 2008 11:12 am

if you are a heavy hitter then i would definitely not go with any thin crashes zildjian, sabian or otherwise. you can find awesome complex cymbals in both companies and shit sounds in both as well. not only that, no two cymbals ever sound the same so going to a store and hitting them is the only way to go imo.

p.s. Sabian was started by Robert Zildjian in the Canadian Zildjian factory.
Ok, who brought the dog? - Louis Tully
www.facebook.com/BigTerribleMusic

Blade
takin' a dinner break

Post by Blade » Sun Dec 14, 2008 1:26 pm

Zildjian A Custom

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Sun Dec 14, 2008 2:21 pm

HeavyHand wrote:Sabian was started by Robert Zildjian in the Canadian Zildjian factory.
And was named for his children, Sally, Billy, and Andy.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

minorkeylee
gettin' sounds

Post by minorkeylee » Sun Dec 14, 2008 5:16 pm

I love the Zil..A 14" Fast crash. IMO, durable, great all-around recording cymbal. Its been beat on for 5 years, and has held up fine.

JeremytheDrummer
pluggin' in mics

60's A's....

Post by JeremytheDrummer » Sun Dec 14, 2008 7:42 pm

60's A's!

Love the sound of these, and they are very affordable - less than a new Zildjian.

calaverasgrandes
ghost haunting audio students

Post by calaverasgrandes » Mon Dec 15, 2008 10:46 pm

I prefer Zidjians, but Sabian is a sister company to the original Zildjian, so I would assume privy to whatever coca-cola formula of metalurgy they used to make their bronze/brass.
I think it also bears mentioning that some cymbals sound AWESOME when you are jamming all alone in your studio/garage but are ass when put in the context of a band. I noticed this of the cheap zildjans and paistes. I think it may have to do with how much harder you whack em when all the boys are in the house and jammin. Some cymbals just sustain too long, or sound odd when you hit em hard.
??????? wrote: "everything sounds best right before it blows up."

permanent hearing damage
re-cappin' neve

Post by permanent hearing damage » Tue Dec 16, 2008 12:15 pm

i would go with either Sabian AAX or Zildjian A Custom stuff. that is all i am playing these days.

i love the sabian AAX 18" stage crash. the Zildjian A Custom equivalent - a projection crash is a little pricier.

if i tour a lot, i usually break both crashes in the course of a year. definitely get that extended warranty deal through guitar center.

HuskerDude
pushin' record

Post by HuskerDude » Tue Dec 16, 2008 12:39 pm

I'd take a look at the Meinls as well as the big 3. I have a 18" thin Meinl Byzance crash that I use with my old Zildjians, and it is my favorite crash I've ever heard.

studiodog
alignin' 24-trk

Post by studiodog » Tue Dec 16, 2008 12:52 pm

Check out Wuhan also - they make a nice 18" crash
"...because I'm good enough, I'm smart enough, and gosh darnit, people like me!"