so who uses raid hard drives for backing up your projects?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

versuviusx
re-cappin' neve

so who uses raid hard drives for backing up your projects?

Post by versuviusx » Sat Dec 20, 2008 9:59 pm

who here use raid configurations and what do you use?
i think it's a great idea to use raid for audio and video and i'm thinking about using this soon. anyone have any suggestions etc.
i found the lacie 2big Triple Hard drive array
http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-LaCie-2big-Trip ... |294%3A200
looks pretty cool.

xpulsar
pushin' record

Raid

Post by xpulsar » Sun Dec 21, 2008 1:07 pm

For sure I use Logic Pro which lets me use internal SATA 2 Raid Striped as a recording drive and I back up to a networked Raid Mirrored drive.

Here is the networked drive I use

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Raidon/SL36202SLB2/

TimOBrien
pluggin' in mics

Post by TimOBrien » Mon Dec 22, 2008 8:18 am

Despite what you may have heard about RAIDs, they do melt-down.
I've seen it happen in my IT jobs too many times.

My old computer prof: "You never REALLY have a backup until its on 3 different types of meda in 3 different places - one of them preferrably out of town and all of them in firesafes."

0-it-hz
buyin' gear

Post by 0-it-hz » Mon Dec 22, 2008 9:10 am

Yep, RAID only protects you from a mechanical disk failure pretty much... you can still have the whole thing shit the bed if your controller dies in a spectacular way.

I use a RAID array in my machine for piece of mind, I like the idea of just blowing through a HD failure in the middle of a session and fixing it after hours rather than having things come to a halt while we deal with transfers and back-ups. But, I still back it up onto my portable & my laptop at the end of the day.
Everything louder than everything else.

summersleep
audio school graduate

Post by summersleep » Wed Feb 11, 2009 12:42 pm

0-it-hz wrote:Yep, RAID only protects you from a mechanical disk failure pretty much... you can still have the whole thing shit the bed if your controller dies in a spectacular way.

I use a RAID array in my machine for piece of mind, I like the idea of just blowing through a HD failure in the middle of a session and fixing it after hours rather than having things come to a halt while we deal with transfers and back-ups. But, I still back it up onto my portable & my laptop at the end of the day.
Does anyone have any reco's for portable hard drives (firewire)? (specifically larger ones, say 160GB or more...?)

rawktron
audio school graduate

Post by rawktron » Sun Feb 15, 2009 11:33 am

Something we use as a 'pseudo' RAID is just a script that runs daily and automatically backs up anything that's new/changed onto a secondary backup HD, you could set it to delete things that no longer exist.

Simple alternative for those without a RAID controller - useful way to keep a regular backup and you don't have to remember to do it!

robocopy (I think part of all windows) has the options necessary to set it up.

mpedrummer
steve albini likes it

Post by mpedrummer » Mon Feb 16, 2009 2:55 pm

Here's my setup:

Record to a 300GB Raptor

Backup to a 4-disc RAID5 with hot spare

Back THAT up to a firewire drive every week (that I'm working on stuff)

Course, if the house burns down, I'm screwed.

kweis7
gettin' sounds

Bacula or Amanda

Post by kweis7 » Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:36 pm

It takes at least moderate linux chops to do it but setting up an open source product like http://www.amanda.org/ or www.bacula.org/ to back up nightly on a network + a raid would give you pretty good protection. You could set it up so that your stuff was backed up to multiple media while you slept every night. If your raid controller dies during a session, you're still SOL at that point though, for the tracking done since the last nightly backup. Pony up the coin for a NET APP... probably not. If I get a really good take while tracking I'll often take a break to move a copy over to the external drive. I personally don't record professionally so I manage rather menially.

I used to work for a University IT department and the main sys admin had elaborate redundant backup, far beyond what I mention above, and he STILL burned DVD's of crucial directories every so often.
you know less than you think you know, I know I do

JohnEvans
audio school

Re: so who uses raid hard drives for backing up your projects?

Post by JohnEvans » Tue Oct 06, 2020 11:58 pm

My company has tried the solution from Nakivo very intensively for all our entire virtualized environment. We haven’t had any issues with it. The support has been very responsive to every question. It's a simple backup solution for an affordable price

alexdingley
buyin' a studio

Re: so who uses raid hard drives for backing up your projects?

Post by alexdingley » Wed Oct 07, 2020 9:51 am

I use a RAID for backup... but I’m only using the RAID fir speed. I have 4 drives striped. But it’s not like that backup is my only backup. Everything that’s backups up to that RAID is backed up elsewhere too.

I have my studio Mac setup with 3 unique backups:
- time machine backups to a USB3 8TB drive that’s physically attached
- time machine backups to another mac’s 4-drive RAID via SMB filesharing
- Backblaze online backup