Are Loops for Candy Asses?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

song-writer
alignin' 24-trk

Are Loops for Candy Asses?

Post by song-writer » Tue Dec 23, 2008 7:41 pm

I was just messing around with a very old version of Acid, which deals with stringing loops together to create tracks. I'll admit there were some neat sound effects and stuff that might be useful, but basically, I am thinking that, for the most part, I should probably not pursue thinking of using this kind of software. And I do admit that I use a drum machine, where I basically string various self-created loops together, but they are varied with fills and end up sounding almost like a real drummer - and when I say varied, I mean that 17 different/unique patterns, for example, were needed to complete my last recording.

Since I normally record playing my own guitar, bass, and keys along with the drum machine and my vocals to complete most of my recordings, I am wondering if Acid type loops would be of any value to think about incorporating in some fashion. I am not really into techo or dance music, which I think would be more of a genre for incorporation of loop based segments. My music ends up sounding more like electric guitar driven classic rock. So I am just curious, do any of you really find a serious use for loops, or are they more for amateurs who have not yet mastered their instruments. I hope I haven't struck a nerve here.

John
Song-Writer

JohnDavisNYC
ghost haunting audio students

Post by JohnDavisNYC » Tue Dec 23, 2008 7:52 pm

i never knew it was possible to both be condescending towards loop based music AND admit to trying to create classic rock with a drum machine in the same post.

leave loops to all those amateurs out there like *list of great music too long to type out* and keep cranking out the classic guitar rock with your SR16....

:roll:

john
i like to make music with music and stuff and things.

http://www.thebunkerstudio.com/

NeglectedFred
pushin' record

Post by NeglectedFred » Tue Dec 23, 2008 8:05 pm

I dunno, I kinda resent the idea of loops being for candy asses.

If you make them yourself, what's the problem?

A lot of what I do is loop based, but it all stars with a few mics and instruments..

Conversly, nothing drives me crazier than hearing talentless ass monkeys making ton's of money and taking credit for using canned or stolen loops - I put countless dedicated hours of hard work, and infinite amounts heart and soul into 3 to 4 minute epic audio adventures that just sit in cyber limbo collecting cyberdust -- all the while taking money out of my pocket just so I can give people the option to hear it.. Damnit, look's like I picked the wrong week to quit shooting heroin.

Listen to the songs I posted in this thread - if you still think they're for candy asses, then I guess I'll be chilling with Trent Reznor on the next Candy Ass cruise:

http://messageboard.tapeop.com/viewtopic.php?t=60621
Last edited by NeglectedFred on Tue Dec 23, 2008 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I eat glue.

song-writer
alignin' 24-trk

Post by song-writer » Tue Dec 23, 2008 8:06 pm

I have a split personality. Hey, I am doing my recordings all by myself, and if I could play drums and keep time well enough to not mess things up I would do so. I guess I could bang on the bongos like a chimpanzee, just like Mark Knopfler said.

I am embarassed to admit this, but I have 3 drum machines, a Sequential Circuits Drum Traks and BOSS Dr. 660 and 880. And yes I do have a set of real drums down in the basement to work out (in slow motion) what will go on the programmed drum tracks.
Song-Writer

rwc
resurrected

Post by rwc » Tue Dec 23, 2008 8:08 pm

pink floyd's no candy ass
Real friends stab you in the front.

Oscar Wilde

Failed audio engineer & pro studio tech turned Component level motherboard repair store in New York

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Tue Dec 23, 2008 8:27 pm

rwc wrote:pink floyd's no candy ass
neither were The Beatles
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

;ivlunsdystf
ghost haunting audio students
Location: The Great Frontier of the Southern Anoka Sand Plain

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Tue Dec 23, 2008 8:30 pm

Same answer for every general/philosophical yes-no question about methods and tools: IT DEPENDS. Maybe you can make loops into something cool, maybe you suck at it. IT DEPENDS.

song-writer
alignin' 24-trk

Post by song-writer » Tue Dec 23, 2008 8:31 pm

Hey, Neglected Fred,

I guess I am the candy ass. I didn't mean to offend anyone, but I thought a controversial subject line might elicit a good number of responses.

I went out and listened to your stuff. It really rocks!! I loved the guitar tone in the first track. The second track sorta had a Peter Gabriel type vibe to it and the 3rd reminded me a little of David Bowie.

I'm sure you must put an infinitesimal amount of work into what you create. I know this because just doing the drum machine tracks for my own stuff takes so much longer to put together than anything else with the real instruments. But if you want to sound good you have to put in the time to get the little nuances in place that help make the song.

John
Song-Writer

NeglectedFred
pushin' record

Post by NeglectedFred » Tue Dec 23, 2008 8:46 pm

No offense taken, thanks man - I really appreciate that..

I was just defending my side of the topic - but I'm still OK with being a candy ass. :)
I eat glue.

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Re: Are Loops for Candy Asses?

Post by Nick Sevilla » Tue Dec 23, 2008 9:13 pm

song-writer wrote:I was just messing around with a very old version of Acid, which deals with stringing loops together to create tracks. I'll admit there were some neat sound effects and stuff that might be useful, but basically, I am thinking that, for the most part, I should probably not pursue thinking of using this kind of software. And I do admit that I use a drum machine, where I basically string various self-created loops together, but they are varied with fills and end up sounding almost like a real drummer - and when I say varied, I mean that 17 different/unique patterns, for example, were needed to complete my last recording.

Since I normally record playing my own guitar, bass, and keys along with the drum machine and my vocals to complete most of my recordings, I am wondering if Acid type loops would be of any value to think about incorporating in some fashion. I am not really into techo or dance music, which I think would be more of a genre for incorporation of loop based segments. My music ends up sounding more like electric guitar driven classic rock. So I am just curious, do any of you really find a serious use for loops, or are they more for amateurs who have not yet mastered their instruments. I hope I haven't struck a nerve here.

John
Roll Your Own Loops.
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Re: Are Loops for Candy Asses?

Post by RefD » Tue Dec 23, 2008 9:48 pm

noeqplease wrote:
song-writer wrote:I was just messing around with a very old version of Acid, which deals with stringing loops together to create tracks. I'll admit there were some neat sound effects and stuff that might be useful, but basically, I am thinking that, for the most part, I should probably not pursue thinking of using this kind of software. And I do admit that I use a drum machine, where I basically string various self-created loops together, but they are varied with fills and end up sounding almost like a real drummer - and when I say varied, I mean that 17 different/unique patterns, for example, were needed to complete my last recording.

John
Roll Your Own Loops.
AMEN
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

ashcat_lt
tinnitus

Post by ashcat_lt » Tue Dec 23, 2008 10:18 pm

song-writer wrote:I'm sure you must put an infinitesimal amount of work into what you create.
I'm sure this is not what you meant. As is, it contradicts the rest of your post and could be taken as quite insulting. :wink:

dave watkins
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by dave watkins » Tue Dec 23, 2008 10:44 pm

loops are great if you use them to do awesome things. real drums are also great if you use them to do awesome things. real drums turned into loops can also also be awesome when you use the combined forces of the two to do awesome things. so i guess as long as you are doing awesome things, you can easily avoid being a candy ass, and thats pretty awesome. fo rillo. good luck in your quest to avoid candy assness.
the tape is rolling, the ones and zeros are... um... ones and zeroing.
http://www.davewatkinsmusic.com

Gentleman Jim
buyin' a studio

Post by Gentleman Jim » Tue Dec 23, 2008 11:05 pm

Yeah, we all rail against candyass-ness. But let me ask you all to be honest with yourselves for just one minute: How many of us would JUMP at the chance to actually have an ass made of candy? I know I'm not alone here.

I thought so.

DrummerMan
george martin

Post by DrummerMan » Tue Dec 23, 2008 11:08 pm

In agreeing with Mr. Watkins, I'd also say: Everything can sound awesome when done awesomely.

And, of course, Mr.Behringer is right when he says, "it depends"

When using loops, I, personally, enjoy NOT trying to make them sound like real live drums (when appropriate, of course), instead embracing the static-y electronic-ness of them.
Geoff Mann
composer | drummer | Los Angeles, CA