Reaper...

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

MichaelAlan
tinnitus

Reaper...

Post by MichaelAlan » Fri Dec 26, 2008 12:45 pm

Sorry in advance, I know there's been some discussion about this software already, but who uses it, why do you like it? (Or even why do you hate it?) I have started checking it out and I'm liking it.

Mike
All energy flows according to the whims of the great magnet...

davepinkham
gettin' sounds

Post by davepinkham » Fri Dec 26, 2008 12:50 pm

I just started using Reaper. I switched from a Linux platform with Ardour back to Windows and installed Reaper because I was tired of fighting with Ubuntu to make it work properly. I love Reaper! It is simple and intuitive to use yet can do everything I want it to do. Compared to Ardour it was a dream to figure out.

mvollrath
gettin' sounds

Post by mvollrath » Fri Dec 26, 2008 12:58 pm

I like Reaper for its power and efficiency, but the vst metering is sluggish and unreliable for me. Sometimes the meter on a plugin compressor, for instance, will update roughly twice a second and lag behind what I'm actually hearing (even under very light cpu load). That's my only gripe. ymmv

roygbiv
re-cappin' neve

Post by roygbiv » Fri Dec 26, 2008 1:25 pm

Big Reaper fan here too for the last 1.5 years.

Pretty intuitive, especially if you are used to mixing boards, great value ($50!), very flexible routing options. Also comes with some pretty powerful, if spartan looking plugins.

You should also cruise their Forum, lots of helpful people there (kind of like here!). And you can learn a lot of tricks by simply reading the posts everyday.

I think they are about to come out with a major update - version 3. Will be interesting to see how that turns out.
"Decisions by the Secretary pursuant to the authority of this Act are non-reviewable and committed to agency discretion, and may not be reviewed by any court of law or any administrative agency."

wedge
tinnitus

Post by wedge » Fri Dec 26, 2008 6:39 pm

thebells wrote:I was tired of fighting with Ubuntu to make it work properly.
Can you give more details? I've installed Ubuntu Studio and think it's great, but the audio apps aren't seeing my audio interfaces, etc., and the tech jargon is all Greek to me... What couldn't you get to work?

davepinkham
gettin' sounds

Post by davepinkham » Fri Dec 26, 2008 8:37 pm

wedge wrote:
Can you give more details? I've installed Ubuntu Studio and think it's great, but the audio apps aren't seeing my audio interfaces, etc., and the tech jargon is all Greek to me... What couldn't you get to work?

i love the desktop environment, and it is fast and efficient. it was always just one problem after another. as soon as i'd get it stable, they'd issue another update that would fuck the whole thing up again. i recently finally had to reformat and tried the newest versino (intrepid ibex) and couldn't even get basic functionality. as it turns out, Pulseaudio, which is now the standard sound server for the distro, simply does not support the M-Audio Delta 1010 or any cards with the ice1712 chip.

I was able to get it going with a workaround on feisty fawn, but on the newer versions no dice. I made the switch to ubuntu specifically because I read that it was great for recording, with the possibility for near-zero latency and some kick ass open source DAWs like Ardour, but I finally realized that I had spent about 1000x more time trying to get the damn thing to work than I had recording so I kicked it.

that said, what specific problems are you having? if its something I dealt with, I'd be glad to try and give you a hand. lots of people certainly volunteered their time and knowledge to me trying to get it to work. www.ubuntuforums.org is a great support forum. there are tons of helpful and experienced people floating around that board.

metanoiastudios
buyin' gear

Post by metanoiastudios » Fri Dec 26, 2008 10:21 pm

I love Reaper. LOVE LOVE LOVE.

It's very CPU-efficient. Very intuitive in the sense that you don't depend on your mouse for everything you do. It is constantly being updated. Doesn't crash on me 1000 times like Cubase used to, AND you can use different skins for different sessions. Be sure to get a nice looking skin first, because the default one is yucky.

mvollrath, there's a new upgrade that (i think) is supposed to improve the meter's refresh rate. Maybe that solves it? never paid much attention to it, so I couldn't really tell after upgrading, but maybe you can?
http://www.paulojuarez.com
*Will trade design work for gear!*

;ivlunsdystf
ghost haunting audio students
Location: The Great Frontier of the Southern Anoka Sand Plain

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Fri Dec 26, 2008 10:46 pm

reaper ftw

mrufino1
pushin' record

Post by mrufino1 » Sat Dec 27, 2008 11:32 am

thebells wrote:
wedge wrote:

i love the desktop environment, and it is fast and efficient. it was always just one problem after another. as soon as i'd get it stable, they'd issue another update that would fuck the whole thing up again. i recently finally had to reformat and tried the newest versino (intrepid ibex) and couldn't even get basic functionality. as it turns out, Pulseaudio, which is now the standard sound server for the distro, simply does not support the M-Audio Delta 1010 or any cards with the ice1712 chip.

I was able to get it going with a workaround on feisty fawn, but on the newer versions no dice. I made the switch to ubuntu specifically because I read that it was great for recording, with the possibility for near-zero latency and some kick ass open source DAWs like Ardour, but I finally realized that I had spent about 1000x more time trying to get the damn thing to work than I had recording so I kicked it.

that said, what specific problems are you having? if its something I dealt with, I'd be glad to try and give you a hand. lots of people certainly volunteered their time and knowledge to me trying to get it to work. www.ubuntuforums.org is a great support forum. there are tons of helpful and experienced people floating around that board.
Try 64studio, great audio distro. I am having a problem getting ffado to compile so I can use my phonic firewire mixer (got it compiled in ubuntu, but 64studio is a little less bleeding edge but more stable), but my firepod worked perfectly out of the box. I am thinking of moving away from ubuntu now that I have a little more linux experience, just because I think the idea of it being easy to use is great for general stuff (I am using it right now) but when you are trying to do recording that extra stuff (like constant updates, gui's, etc) gets in the way.

Now, for the real topic, reaper is great. It runs in linux too, although I am trying to give ardour a shot first because it is open source. I used reaper last night to record a folk concert, 3 hours long, and we recorded the first set (1 hour) and made 50 cd's, all of which were sold by the end of the night. Reaper can bounce directly to an iso (actually bin/cue) image with track markers based on your markers in the project, which is awesome for a situation like this. Also, there is a reascript addon (free) that lets you export a project with separate files based on regions, awesome for bouncing a live show to separate mp3's, wav, oggs, whatever, for each song, with each one already named on each region. I made a key macro that allows me to hit ctrl-shift-r and make each marker a region, very handy. Ardour is much slower in its workflow but it is a good program as I am getting to know it.
If you check the reaper forums, someone made an installer for linux that has its own wine and wineasio, very easy to do.

dgrieser
steve albini likes it

Post by dgrieser » Sat Dec 27, 2008 7:36 pm

I think Reaper's ease of recording/editing is brilliant. I never feel like I have to fight with it to get something done. It's also been rock solid for me on my Mac. If it only had Logic's instruments .... and plugs ......

kinger
steve albini likes it

Post by kinger » Sat Dec 27, 2008 7:57 pm

I'm a big fan of Reaper too. It's been ultra-stable for me and is very intuitive to use. I've been running it on Tinyxp but I've just finished a project and now seems like a good time to see if I can make it run on Linux.

allyouneedisears
gettin' sounds

Post by allyouneedisears » Sat Dec 27, 2008 8:57 pm

I actually sold logic because of how much I liked reaper. Awesome program, and everyone should try out the stillwell audio plugs.

Moonrider
audio school graduate

Post by Moonrider » Mon Dec 29, 2008 7:08 am

thebells wrote:
i recently finally had to reformat and tried the newest versino (intrepid ibex) and couldn't even get basic functionality. as it turns out, Pulseaudio, which is now the standard sound server for the distro, simply does not support the M-Audio Delta 1010 or any cards with the ice1712 chip.
a) You should try (and stick with) the Ubuntu Studio version. I've been using this since it first came out, and never had the slightest problems with my Delta 66 / Omni Studio. IIRC, it defaults to Pulseaudio off.

b) Stay with Hardy Heron(8.0.4.1) if you need the realtime capabilities.
"When electric currents go through
them, guitars start making sounds. So would anybody."
http://www.soundclick.com/jamesproject

davepinkham
gettin' sounds

Post by davepinkham » Mon Dec 29, 2008 7:52 am

i may try going back at some point, but for now i'm very happy with reaper.

jake-owa
alignin' 24-trk

Post by jake-owa » Mon Dec 29, 2008 8:19 am

Reaper rules. I have used Vegas, Cubase, Pro Fools, Sonar and Logic and nothing works better for me than Reaper.

Reaper is easy to figure out, just think of how you would like it to work and it probably already does. If not email justin or post on the forum at cuckoos and you will have your wish soon enough. If you can get service like that anywhere else please let me know.