Individually switched power strip? Electrical advice sought!

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

alex matson
re-cappin' neve

Individually switched power strip? Electrical advice sought!

Post by alex matson » Mon Dec 29, 2008 12:33 pm

I'm looking for a device like the one pictured. I've posted on this subject before, but never did anything about it. Basically, I have a hell of a lot of gear to plug into my bedroom studio ranging from a wireless mouse charging stand to a Hammond, and only two outlets on the wall on one 15 amp circuit, and two more coming from the ceiling that my overhead flourescent light fixtures are plugged into. I have three options: Don't plug everything in; figure out a safe and workable solution using power strips, or pay an electrician to install another outlet in my (rented) room. The breaker box is only three feet away from my bedroom wall in the basement, so it's possible that i could get the electrical work done fairly easily...but would it be $100 or $400 to get it done?

In the meantime, I'm thinking that getting most of my devices onto switched outlets and getting all the plugs labeled would be a good start and useful in any case.

Another thing that worries me is that manufacturers say not to daisy chain power strips. But if I had no choice...is there a safe way to do it? For instance, could i buy a $100 Furman power conditioner, run my Hammond/Leslie, Macbook, monitor, Mackie HR824's, Tascam MSR16 and Soundcraft Topaz off that, and use one outlet for the switched power strip for the synthesizers, bass POD, mouse charger, hard drive power, a couple of lamps and other low-needs devices if they were switched off most of the time? Or is this asking for a fire?

I just read that it is estimated that continuously plugged in wall warts account for 4% of the electricity consumed in the U.S.

The device pictured sells for $75, hence my post.

Image[/img]

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

Post by digitaldrummer » Mon Dec 29, 2008 2:20 pm

this is nothing more than a rack mounted power strip:

http://www.pssl.com/Nady-PC80-Rack-Moun ... wer-Module

I have one and it does what I need. the price is certainly right too, although I will warn you that they don't fit exactly in a 1U space - they are just a little too tall. so, if you have wiggle room in other components, it may fit. I put mine at the top of the rack and it sort of overlapped a little (and there was some extra room there too).

so in other words, it's a $20 Nady piece of crap, but it might work for you too.

Mike
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Mon Dec 29, 2008 10:26 pm

American DJ makes a decent one for $30 that is solid and actually fits in 1U (plus any wall-wart overlap you might introduce!).

it's a rack mounted power strip with a breaker and per-outlet switching.
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

alex matson
re-cappin' neve

Post by alex matson » Tue Dec 30, 2008 12:33 am

Thanks, man. I have also seen this one:
http://www.amazon.com/American-DJ-chann ... B0002GL50Q
and it looks like it might fit in one space. Neither website lists joules, so it's a tossup.

alex matson
re-cappin' neve

Post by alex matson » Tue Dec 30, 2008 3:13 am

I found my answers myself regarding the safety of some of my ideas.
It's not okay to plug one multi outlet power strip into another, or plug one into both outlets.
http://engineering.tamu.edu/safety/new/ ... x_elec.htm

I bought a Belkin 12 outlet unit with Joule rating of 3960.

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:11 am

alex matson wrote:Thanks, man. I have also seen this one:
http://www.amazon.com/American-DJ-chann ... B0002GL50Q
and it looks like it might fit in one space. Neither website lists joules, so it's a tossup.
that's actually what i was talking about.
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:13 am

alex matson wrote:I found my answers myself regarding the safety of some of my ideas.
It's not okay to plug one multi outlet power strip into another, or plug one into both outlets.
http://engineering.tamu.edu/safety/new/ ... x_elec.htm

I bought a Belkin 12 outlet unit with Joule rating of 3960.
looks like i've been living dangerously for 25+ years now!

*buzzes the tour bus and misses*