Are Loops for Candy Asses?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

trevord
gettin' sounds

Post by trevord » Sat Jan 03, 2009 8:17 am

getreel wrote:I record my own MIDI tracks sometimes and sometimes I'll loop sections. I'm starting to feel dirty after reading this thread though. I don't even quantize what I record. Destroys the feel. I can play all of the instruments I sometimes program, but usually I program by playing. I work totally alone and find that I need to use things like looping and technology to get what I want without additional help. Am I still legit enough?
why u feel dirty? - this is exactly how i work..

IMHO
The dirt comes from not being honest on the album credits.
would you put " Acid LOOPS used on those tricky bits" on the credits. If not maybe you should try to replace those parts with your own.

Again.. its like auto tune - if u use it as an effect like Cher - you can say - "Strange vocal effect done with autotune"
of course if your vocalist is a bit wary of what happened then she might not like you saying this on her album.

(So sad to date myself) But i can remember when the Donna Summer "Bad girls" (or the one with bad girls on it) album came out - they listed the aphex aural exciter in the credits :)
can you imagine one of these hot shot pros here listing...
" I'd to thank the Albini set of acid drum loops for getting that albini sound i couldn't get" :)
seriously
you can use anything - just be honest about it

I remember the famous loop used on the Saturday Night Fever album - everytime i hear "More than a woman" it stands out because its the only song i know where there is not a single drum turnaround in the whole song because the drums are a 1 bar loop (from Night Fever i think). Nobody cares, but your peers notice and know ;)

getreel
carpal tunnel

Post by getreel » Sat Jan 03, 2009 9:18 am

No Acid loops. This is all MIDI programing and I'll probably credit it as "programming" or whatever. I was only trying to be funny with the "dirty" bit. I'm not that clever unfortunately.

apropos of nothing
dead but not forgotten

Post by apropos of nothing » Sat Jan 03, 2009 10:21 am

Suzanna Ciani makes me feel dirty.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_tjcshEurc

I've been filtering portions of a loop through a Korg MS-20 and a Spectralis. Hardware is so much more rewarding that the soft stuff. I did that for three years and did not enjoy it at all.

trevord
gettin' sounds

Post by trevord » Sat Jan 03, 2009 3:12 pm

Jeff White
ghost haunting audio students

Post by Jeff White » Sat Jan 03, 2009 4:15 pm

apropos of nothing wrote: I've been filtering portions of a loop through a Korg MS-20 and a Spectralis. Hardware is so much more rewarding that the soft stuff. I did that for three years and did not enjoy it at all.
Which is why I have never sold my Filter Factory and which is why I totally bitched at my friend for selling his Frostwave Resonator (MS-20 clone) without letting me know!

Software does have it's place, though.

I've read through most of this thread and I agree with both sides. Artistically speaking, I've played with a ton of loops (free and otherwise) and tried to create some stuff out of them back in the day. But these days I'm not really at all into using "canned loops", be that a drum loop, a guitar loop, a bassline, loop, etc. I have no problem if someone else wants to, though. Do something cool and interesting that moves me and I don't care where it came from. Look at Girltalk. He simply makes fun music that is good. And he makes it out of recycled popular songs in Live. And it is fun to pick out all of the parts and stuff. He's really good at this sort of thing.

However, with that said, I'm not into making music with canned loops as I like to call them.

Live is a great program because you can mangle the snot of of anything to the point that you can't tell what it is. Canned Loop or not. And the process of doing this is art itself.

Jeff
I record, mix, and master in my Philly-based home studio, the Spacement. https://linktr.ee/ipressrecord

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Sat Jan 03, 2009 4:25 pm

ipressrecord wrote: Look at Girltalk. He simply makes fun music that is good. And he makes it out of recycled popular songs in Live. And it is fun to pick out all of the parts and stuff. He's really good at this sort of thing.
I was just thinking it'd be interesting to see what the reaction to him would be here.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

lyle76
takin' a dinner break

Post by lyle76 » Sat Jan 03, 2009 7:08 pm

i always used to get annoyed at the seemingly endless parade of line 6 solo guitar players who would just build layer on layer of boring ass loops. however, i am now without a band and finding it increasingly more difficult to find players capable of touring or playing out of town and a boss rc-50 makes total sense to me. for me the key is trying to keep it interesting and not just be a guitar-karaokist.

loops - like any tool - can be used for both good and evil.

a
"meow" - a cat

Judas Jetski
carpal tunnel

Post by Judas Jetski » Sat Jan 03, 2009 8:06 pm

Suzanna Ciani: That's some oscilloscope.

John Cage: Sometimes I feel just. like. that.

Judas Jetski: One day, when I'm not up to my ears in everything else, I will start messing around with tape loops. It will be Fripper-tastic.
New Judas Jetski EP up! andysmash.bandcamp.com

www.andysmash.com

Jeff White
ghost haunting audio students

Post by Jeff White » Sun Jan 04, 2009 2:23 am

dwlb wrote:
ipressrecord wrote: Look at Girltalk. He simply makes fun music that is good. And he makes it out of recycled popular songs in Live. And it is fun to pick out all of the parts and stuff. He's really good at this sort of thing.
I was just thinking it'd be interesting to see what the reaction to him would be here.
It's just fun. He's pretty creative with the mash-up and I like picking stuff out. Not my hero or anything, but definitely fun every now and again.

Jeff
I record, mix, and master in my Philly-based home studio, the Spacement. https://linktr.ee/ipressrecord

cooters
gettin' sounds

Post by cooters » Sun Jan 04, 2009 4:12 pm

Yeah i realize that i was very contridicting. It was really late and i was tired. what i was getting at is that you just have to make it your own. I got a little excited and lost. but you are totally right drummerman. I feel retarded now.

cjogo
re-cappin' neve

Post by cjogo » Sat Jan 10, 2009 2:21 pm

Candy or Sour >> ::: I don't think we have the gear to loop ? -- ROland DAW does not mention loops and the 2 thick books, with our Kurzweil sequencers, would take someone days > to event a loop (especially without a mouse ) ...So, we consider ourselves lucky and the artist we record. javascript:emoticon(':D')

No looping here ...this is when "men were men" javascript:emoticon(':lol:')
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6v5E27Fp ... re=related
whatever happened to ~ just push record......

Seej
takin' a dinner break

Post by Seej » Mon Dec 26, 2011 4:06 pm

Mikey P wrote:have you heard white noise? that's pretty great too.

yeah, the combination of mad skillz, english teeth and accent, and that almost erotic languidity in both the cadences of her voice and the way her hand dangles from the wrist are, frankly, captivating. total time-machine crush.

RefD wrote:
ysyrtypy wrote:
Mikey P wrote:don't forget the BBC radiophonic workshop.

here's delia derbyshire beat-matching reel-to-reel tape loops like it's the most natural thing in the world.
That really is the ultimate in audio pr0n.
Delia Derbyshire = RAWR!

i have that album and it's pretty much uniformly great.
Been on a Delia kick as of late. Listening to some of her stuff at half speed is pretty cool (REAL half speed on my tape recorder), especially "Ziwzih Ziwzih 00-00-00" and of course the Doctor Who theme. Anybody heard the BBC radio documentary Sculptress Of Sound from a couple years back? It's pretty damn good. I could listen to her voice all day long....
"You can have a crappy drum set and still be a good drummer. And then you can have a $15,000 drum set with all these drums and the drummer's crap."-Mike Gibbins (1949-2005)

http://www.soundcloud.com/Seej1982

KoffeeKommando
gettin' sounds

Post by KoffeeKommando » Tue Dec 27, 2011 10:54 am

When fake goes up against the real....fake does lose:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... -2A#t=160s

His cello is a Stradivarius from the 1700's with gut strings. Still in style after 300+ years. And likewise the concept of a bunch of humans groovin on the same song in a room together.
Note: Almost everything in that video is organic. All the instruments are wood (once living), gut strings...and living beings playing the music.
The music itself was a creation direct from a person's consciousness...written down on paper and ink (made from once living things).

Loops and electronic instruments do seem cheap and tacky after watching stuff like this.
Definitely a "lesser" form of expression.
Like there is a "middleman" getting in the way of the communication.
With electronic music your brain says "fake" right off the bat, and you end up needing to suspend disbelief just like watching a movie.

Hitting pipes with hammers is a more organic and authentic way of communicating with your listeners by comparison. That's why Depeche Mode did it.
They *and* their audience were subconsciously crying out for "realness" ;)

But it's Apples and Oranges some days...blah blah.
Just make music that's compelling. And strive to make it *with* and *for* other humans.

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Tue Dec 27, 2011 7:07 pm

I am finding the Boss RC 300 very inspiring for writing loop based music.... Not the same thing as using canned preset loops which I've never been into...this product at least for me is very useful for capturing "chance" moments with sound as you modulate away, and then "freeze" it so you can tweak it further. I am using it as a middle man between my drum machines, synths, and other noise toys and the tape deck. It allows me to do things that otherwise I would not be able to reliably perform (due to terrible performance implementations of some electronic devices, without the assistance of a computer or sampler and patience).

timcoalman
gettin' sounds

Post by timcoalman » Wed Dec 28, 2011 4:45 pm

Michael Gira used loops in Swans.

I consider this statement to be the definitive answer for the OP question.

-----

timcoalman - still mentioning Swans, especially Soundtracks for the Blind, in nearly every post. Because what you feel for the Beatles, Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, et cetera, is what I feel for Gira's 30+ studio/live/compilation albums.