Muse "Ruled By Secrecy"

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

Pgraf
audio school graduate

Muse "Ruled By Secrecy"

Post by Pgraf » Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:37 pm

just doing some listening and never gave this track much attention(last track on album) but the drums are fantastic, the kick is huge, cymbals are beautifully articulated, the drums over all seem to be dry but big(except on the snare and toms every once and a while) the piano sounds all mesh well together and the vocal has a nice airiness to it.

What are you guys thoughts on this song?

I guess for me it was one of those things when you are ready to hear it, it will be shown to you.
"Aaron, i think the left side of your mustache is 1dB louder the the right."

blackdiscoball
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by blackdiscoball » Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:45 am

My thoughts are that Rich Costey is amazing. Pretty much everything he does sounds huge, loud and really dynamic. I once read an eq (i think) article about how both the muse albums (Absolution, and Black Holes and other Revelations) were really dry and it surprised me because they seem so huge and epic and I always just assumed a good deal of reverb, then I really listened and its true, they are really really dry. He seems to do alot of stuff I like and is really amazing. He does alot if the mars volta stuff, mastodon, etc. Hes just good.
myspace.com/blackdiscoballstudio/

Slider
george martin

Post by Slider » Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:16 am

blackdiscoball wrote:My thoughts are that Rich Costey is amazing. Pretty much everything he does sounds huge, loud and really dynamic. I once read an eq (i think) article about how both the muse albums (Absolution, and Black Holes and other Revelations) were really dry and it surprised me because they seem so huge and epic and I always just assumed a good deal of reverb, then I really listened and its true, they are really really dry. He seems to do alot of stuff I like and is really amazing. He does alot if the mars volta stuff, mastodon, etc. Hes just good.
Yup Rich Costey is amazing.

Pgraf
audio school graduate

Post by Pgraf » Wed Jan 07, 2009 8:33 pm

yeah they are, i dont know how he does it all the sounds themselves are pretty small and dry but the mix is huge. Ive been noticing lately that a lot of the "huge" power ballads from the 80s most of the sounds minus the huge gated snare verb are small and dry. Could also be that now days with the loudness wars we lose some of the smallness that when it gets big it doesn't get big.
"Aaron, i think the left side of your mustache is 1dB louder the the right."