RICHMOND VA TapeOp folks? beer night or some such nonsense?

Regional activities, relevant news, job openings, studio searches, local beer nights (not a forum to plug the new album you just worked on)

Moderator: drumsound

dave watkins
suffering 'studio suck'

RICHMOND VA TapeOp folks? beer night or some such nonsense?

Post by dave watkins » Tue Jan 20, 2009 3:18 pm

This came up in another thread so i figured i'd put it out here and see what turns up. I'll try and PM some of the locals that i know i've seen on here too...

So would any of you all be interested in starting up a Richmond TapeOp beer night or hang out of some sort? What nights are good? Locations? (bar, studio, house, what have you...)

Most nights are good for me, i'm pretty flexible since most of the work i do is my own or friends, but sometimes i end up working ridiculous hours with my job (A/V engineer for the richmond ballet, which is where i have my recording space as well, which is also good for being loud as hell at 3am without getting noise complaints since there is nothing around it and there are a lot of pianos :D ) which can make planning things impossible sometimes.

But regardless, I know there are a lot of great people doing interesting work in this town and this would be a totally sweet opportunity to meet up, network, discuss making shit sound awesome (the whole RPM 2009 thing comes to mind), and lend a hand or two from time to time, and make shit sound awesome together... or something like that.

Thoughts?
the tape is rolling, the ones and zeros are... um... ones and zeroing.
http://www.davewatkinsmusic.com

wren
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by wren » Tue Jan 20, 2009 5:08 pm

I'd love to be a part of this if possible, as I'm within a comfortable driving distance. I don't know what I could offer other than just being a fly on the wall, but I'd love to be there nonetheless.
"I don't need time, I need a deadline." -Duke Ellington

"I liked the holes in it as much as I liked what was in them." -Tom Waits

Veej007
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by Veej007 » Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:17 pm

not sure if he reads these forums, but in case you want to myspace him or something i know that andy from the great white jenkins is a richmond-based tape op enthusiast and a fairly active musician

llmonty
re-cappin' neve

Post by llmonty » Wed Jan 21, 2009 4:00 am

Dave -- That sounds really cool -- I would so be down with it, and I know Erik from Tulsa Drone would be too -- Also a few other bandmates would be all about havin a few beers.

Could be up for Thurs, Fri or Saturday nights, this week or next.
richmond is a really cool town - supafuzz

vikingrecording
gettin' sounds

Post by vikingrecording » Wed Jan 21, 2009 5:56 am

yeah, this is definitely something i have been thinking about for a while. I feel richmond has a pretty spread out music scene and we could benefit from tightening the loop a bit.

Wren- I think that input from everyone will be valuable! Whenever this goes down, you should try to come.

Getting together, meeting, and knowing the folks in the area is vital to growing.

Dave, your studio sounds like it might be a great place to meet up, but even a bar would be awesome. Maybe we can bring recordings we like or are proud of or something to kind of catalyst some discussion? Just a thought.

Excellent! Let's do this! Since i have now cancelled all my sessions im pretty free to meet up!

SkullChris
takin' a dinner break

Post by SkullChris » Wed Jan 21, 2009 6:22 am

I'm in.
"Live to Win!"
brieflives.bandcamp.com
lubec.bandcamp.com/
hexmachinery.blogspot.com/

vikingrecording
gettin' sounds

Post by vikingrecording » Wed Jan 21, 2009 6:39 am

you a bad man, skullchris!

dave watkins
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by dave watkins » Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:26 am

well hell yeah! glad everyone's is down. and most of the locals i was going to PM responded before i even got the chance.

I'm free this weekend, Friday or Saturday and i would probably just be down at my space anyway, so I would be fine with using it for a meeting spot the first time around for sure, so we aren't walking around a bar like crazy people asking everyone "hey do you read tapeop?" the only downside about my spot is that drinking is questionable (but not out of the question, just wouldn't be a good idea if we had 15 drunk people making a shit ton of noise and spilling beer all over expensive set pieces) since the ballet has an ABC license it could mess things up if the wrong person decides to show up and work some late weekend hours, i've got a lot of leeway that allows me to do what i do here so i don't want to mess that up, i'm sure you understand. But capital ale house is in walking distance, and anything in the fan, broad street/jackson ward or in the bottom are about 5 to 10 minutes away, so options options options.

i'd rather not make this super structured, i think everyone should feel free to bring what ever to it. recordings, gear, instruments, what have you, just let things advance as they will. if you want opinions on something you are working on, sweet! or if you just want to chill, sweet! i've got a lot of instruments down here as well so impromptu rocking out is not out of the question either. my recording setup is nothing fancy, it does what i need it to do and it's decent for listening, but don't expect absolute perfection from my space that is free, and made out of scrap wood, and definitely not dead quiet, but do expect fun and character.

and hell yeah, if you know someone that might not frequent the boards but would be all about a meeting of the minds, invite them by all means.

and hey wren you should definitely show up if you can, it'd be good to see you again, are you still doing stuff at PVCC?

i definitely second the feeling that a lot of us are all kind of doing our own awesome shit and would indeed benefit from bouncing ideas around.

so who's free fri/sat?

SkullChris
takin' a dinner break

Post by SkullChris » Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:38 am

I'm free friday after 9 and Saturday. And am indeed a bad man.
"Live to Win!"
brieflives.bandcamp.com
lubec.bandcamp.com/
hexmachinery.blogspot.com/

wren
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by wren » Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:04 am

I have a show Friday, but I'm free all day Sat I'm pretty sure.

And yeah, still at PVCC. Survived the budget cuts so far. :?
"I don't need time, I need a deadline." -Duke Ellington

"I liked the holes in it as much as I liked what was in them." -Tom Waits

DryCounty
buyin' a studio

Post by DryCounty » Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:46 am

Wow, can't believe the number of responses from this sleepy town! I'm down for either night, and thanks to Dave for providing the space. I'm all for volunteering my space next time, provided it doesn't flood again (lots of sympathy round here)! It's in a Shockoe Bottom basement. Cheers, gang! Hey Adam!
"I would imagine that the inside of a bottle of cleaning fluid is fucking clean." -Hedberg
-----
Tulsa Drone
Dry County Records ? Richmond, Virginia
twitter: drycounty

dave watkins
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by dave watkins » Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:27 am

hey well saturday is looking good to me! I'll wait a bit and see who else responds, and i'll PM all interested parties later with my cell# and address so everyone knows whats up.

i'm stoked.

llmonty
re-cappin' neve

Post by llmonty » Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:28 am

I'm in for Saturday night -- the later the better for me -- 9:30 or 10. So awesome Dave -- thanks for organizing and hosting the first night! I don't have a good space now, but will in the next few months so happy to host in the future.

Just give me the info and I'll be there! Erik -- let's car pool - ha!
richmond is a really cool town - supafuzz

dave watkins
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by dave watkins » Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:53 pm

alright, so i PM'ed everyone that has expressed interest thus far with my cell number and the address and parking info, oh and if you happen to ride a bike down you can just bring it inside.

from what i've gathered so far, meeting down at my spot around 9, 9:30ish will work for most folks. but i'll be down there probably from the afternoon onward so if anyone wants to show up a little early i wouldn't mind one bit.

i'll bump this thread over the next couple days to see if anyone else catches it, and if anyone does that hasn't already, just let me know and i'll pass on the info, as i check this shit more often than i probably should.

so i guess thats about it! the first RVA TapeOp night! this saturday around 9ish at the richmond ballet (that's kind of hilarious) just call me when you get here and i'll be up to let you in as there won't be anyone else in the building as far as i know. and definitely bring stuff if you want to. if it makes any difference I am PC based, but there should be numerous ways to plug things that make noise into speakers.

i look forward to seeing/meeting everyone. i'll of course drop by the thread often if anyone posts any questions or anything.

dave watkins
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by dave watkins » Thu Jan 22, 2009 2:38 pm

and a bump,

I contacted Lance from minimum wage, and he is down for this too.
I also touched base with Stephen Vitielo, and though he can't make this meet, he is interested in joining up for future ones.

so all in all this is looking pretty awesome. forillo