Quincy Jones' Petition to create a Secretary of the Arts

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Snarl 12/8
cryogenically thawing

Post by Snarl 12/8 » Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:22 pm

I think this could be done democratically. Take some money from the government and put it in a blind trust designated for the arts. Create some sort of board or voting mechanism to decide what gets funded. Lifetime appointments to the board or something so that it doesn't get politicized (too much.) Why the fuck not, we make a kick ass attack helicopter, we should be able to make kick ass penis sculptures and shit too.

Carl Keil

Almost forgot: Please steal my drum tracks. and more.

Gentleman Jim
buyin' a studio

Post by Gentleman Jim » Fri Jan 23, 2009 8:13 pm

BenjaminWells wrote:
To me, smart government is one which supports arts education.
Yes. But let's not forget that No Child Left Behind notwithstanding, almost all of education policy is determined at the local or state level. I'm not taking a position on that one way or the other, but merely saying that I don't think we need more blurred lines and grandstanding; much of which education policy is on the national level.

I want my kids to learn about the arts, a foreign language or two, math, science, English, History, and how to get along with others. I want my kids to have an education as good as the kids in Finland.

Snarl 12/8 wrote:
I think this could be done democratically. Take some money from the government and put it in a blind trust designated for the arts. Create some sort of board or voting mechanism to decide what gets funded. Lifetime appointments to the board or something so that it doesn't get politicized (too much.) Why the fuck not, we make a kick ass attack helicopter, we should be able to make kick ass penis sculptures and shit too.
1. Social Security funds are in a trust. We have a terrible history of stealing from our own trusts as a country.

2. As soon as you have a board that votes on funding you have people screaming about censorship on one side and "Get that man/woman off that board because they're spending my tax money on garbage!" on the other side. That's why we know Robert Mapplethorpe's name.

3. We all know that lifetime appointments have successfully done away with politicization. Just ask Clarence Thomas, Harriet Miers, Robert Bork, Douglas Ginsburg.... oh wait - don't ask them, they're still a little sensitive about it.

4. If it's representation of penises you're after, you should get yourself to the backstage room of your local rock club. Chances are there's a penis drawing every 2.5 feet across the entirety of the four walls. You'd love it.

tdbajus
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by tdbajus » Sat Jan 24, 2009 12:48 am

dwlb wrote:can and will the government support art that is critical of the government? And again, will the constituency go along with that?
+1 on that. The more we need the art/dissent, the less likely it is to get funded. Plus, if there is a Minister of the Arts, and s/he answers to the people, wouldn't that art that is being ignored (for whatever reason) still be ignored?

I'd rather have health care and a stabile economy with well paying jobs that provide people with resources to pursue their muse, which might get them interested in other peoples' muses, and then it's like a whole fuggin' muses party!

Those muses are HOT!

Snarl 12/8
cryogenically thawing

Post by Snarl 12/8 » Sat Jan 24, 2009 12:03 pm

I wonder if universal health care would be a bigger boon to artists than a Dept. of Art. Or would going the other way (less health care) be better for art?
Carl Keil

Almost forgot: Please steal my drum tracks. and more.

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Sat Jan 24, 2009 5:24 pm

Gentleman Jim wrote:If it's representation of penises you're after, you should get yourself to the backstage room of your local rock club. Chances are there's a penis drawing every 2.5 feet across the entirety of the four walls. You'd love it.
If you can't draw a crowd....

Kalpna4152
audio school

Re: Quincy Jones' Petition to create a Secretary of the Arts

Post by Kalpna4152 » Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:42 pm

The infection if left untreated or if it's therefore proof against antibiotic treatment, it will then develop into a medical emergency. The microorganism will travel into the your brain via penetration of the sinus wall, inside the orbit, and sointo the central nervous system; this can be after you hear concerning microorganism infectious disease, caused by direct penetration of the sinus inclose bone sinus cavity. infectious disease may be a microorganism infection of the meningies within the brain, they're caused by a range of bugs, however this one that we tend to ar discussing nowadays may be a major player. So, certify you see a doctor if you have got symptoms of associate infection, and discuss sinus irrigation if you're at risk of obtaining lots of colds, or suffer from chronic rubor. It may build all the distinction.
Thanks& regards,
Kalpna singh
Ear Surgeon Lucknow| ENT surgeon lucknow | ENT Lucknow

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:06 am

^^^^More Random Zombie Spam! help! Police!

GJ
Gregg Juke
Nocturnal Productions Music Group
Drum! Magazine Contributor
http://MightyNoStars.com

"He's about to learn the most important lesson in the music business-- 'Never trust people in the music business.' "

Spark
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Spark » Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:54 pm

Too bad GG Allin is gone. He would have been perfect - you know, with all the shit you have to deal with in politics..