Good Mix/Monitor Headphones

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
magritte
re-cappin' neve

Good Mix/Monitor Headphones

Post by magritte » Tue Nov 25, 2003 11:59 am

I need a pair. What can you guys agree on as a good headphone?

First scenerio - Cost is a factor.
Second - Cost isn't.

Let's hear both options if you could. Thanks.

mpedrummer
steve albini likes it

Re: Good Mix/Monitor Headphones

Post by mpedrummer » Tue Nov 25, 2003 12:59 pm

Both scenarios:

Sennheiser HD280pro. They're loud enough, not harsh, SWEET isolation, and comfortable enough that my big ears fit inside without being bothered for hours at a time.

The Sony MD7506 are nice as well, but not as comfortable for long periods of wearing.

MPEDrummer

magritte
re-cappin' neve

Post by magritte » Tue Nov 25, 2003 1:06 pm

mpedrummer wrote:Both scenarios:

Sennheiser HD280pro. They're loud enough, not harsh, SWEET isolation, and comfortable enough that my big ears fit inside without being bothered for hours at a time.

The Sony MD7506 are nice as well, but not as comfortable for long periods of wearing.

MPEDrummer
Funny, those are the two I narrowed my search down to. The HD280s get some bad press though. No low end, etc....

thedarwinengine
audio school

Post by thedarwinengine » Tue Nov 25, 2003 1:34 pm

I personally don't have much experience with the Sennheisers, but those Sonys, in my opinion, seem to be rather brittle in the high end and kind of artificial in the lows, as if the ends of the frequency spectrum are boosted unnaturally. In my experience, Grado headphones seem to have the best clarity and truth, but can be weak in the bottom end, are rather uncomfortable after about 15 minutes, and cost a lot.

brew
pushin' record

Post by brew » Tue Nov 25, 2003 1:38 pm

i second the Sennheisers. The Sony's seem very cheap by comparison. I imagine the Sennheisers taking studio beatings much better.

Slider
george martin

Post by Slider » Tue Nov 25, 2003 1:40 pm

i like the sony 7506's.

joeysimms
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by joeysimms » Tue Nov 25, 2003 1:52 pm

AKG 240m. They're flat, I like the stereo imaging, and they're super comfortable to wear. about $85.

analogcabin
buyin' gear

Post by analogcabin » Tue Nov 25, 2003 2:23 pm

I'm really enjoying the Fostex T-40RP and T-50RP's. Great low end information, non-fatiguing mid- hi's, and very durable. Removable cord is a + for storage too. Check'em out: http://tinyurl.com/wjrs

Some singers can singers dig the Sony 7506's for nailing pitch.

e.maynard

Al
moves faders with mind

Post by Al » Tue Nov 25, 2003 3:15 pm

I'm a big fan of the Fostex ones too, unfortunatley there T20's, semi open and prone to bleed a little into the mic, i need some isolation going on!

Al

Piotr
tinnitus

Post by Piotr » Tue Nov 25, 2003 3:25 pm

Check out the new Koss models...they are cheap and sound great!
Yours,

Piotr

piotr@thebarkmarket.com

----------------------
Id quod visum plocet

Thomas Aquinas

Lazy_Q
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by Lazy_Q » Tue Nov 25, 2003 4:57 pm

What's this about the HD280 not having good lows? I think the lows are pretty nice. In my experience, it lacks a fair amount of highs. a good tracking headphone perhaps, but I wouldn't trust a mix to one alone.

The higher end grados are significantly better than the HD280 in terms of sound quality. I have a SR325, and for 300$ it's what I use for critical listening. I've heard it said there's only a marginal difference between those and the SR1's which run 700$, so I thought that was a good comprimise. And for me, the Grados are only uncomfortable for periods of time over a few hours, and it goes away fairly quickly. and after using them extensively (re: overusing over a period of a year or so), using the HD280s for more than an hour or two causes me really severe ear fatigue , to the point that I can't sleep right for a day or two. Don't know anyone else with the problem, so I might just be messed up.

if you don't want to blow a couple hundred on the grados, I'd also steer you towards the AKG 240, as it comes highly reccomended to me. That, and they're probably more comfy than the ones mentioned above. And once again, to reiterate, it's all what you get used to. if people can make kickass albums with NS10s, then don't sweat it too much.

Al
moves faders with mind

Post by Al » Tue Nov 25, 2003 6:25 pm

Walnut Studios wrote:Check out the new Koss models...they are cheap and sound great!
Thanks for the tip, they look o.k. and there cheap enough. Ta!

Al

pscottm
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by pscottm » Tue Nov 25, 2003 6:34 pm

i like beyer dt770 for detail and imaging.. over $100 though ($125-150?). for less money i dig akg 240's too, use them often. both of these models are physically kinda poofy though, hard to travel with, so i keep some sony 7506s for that. they pack well and sound good but man they can cause serious hearing damage if you're not careful.

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Tue Nov 25, 2003 10:43 pm

For the live room I have been digging the AT ATH-M40fs.

Thay fully kick ass for a mid to low priced tracking 'phone (sealed back).

Another vote for teh AKG 240's. I liek giving those to singers. They dont seem to fuck with people's head tone so much...

Al
moves faders with mind

Post by Al » Wed Nov 26, 2003 6:55 am

Joel Hamilton wrote:For the live room I have been digging the AT ATH-M40fs.

Thay fully kick ass for a mid to low priced tracking 'phone (sealed back).

Another vote for teh AKG 240's. I liek giving those to singers. They dont seem to fuck with people's head tone so much...
Cheers Joel,

I was also looking at the AT's as well, probably worth spending that extra bit o cash, they look nifty, i think there around 80 quid here in the u.k., how are they for isolation by the way?!...

Ta!

Al