sound city 50 plus *Weird distorted sound"

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

operator_tape
suffering 'studio suck'

sound city 50 plus *Weird distorted sound"

Post by operator_tape » Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:06 pm

Bought a Sound City 50 plus with matching 4X10 cab, tried it in store and it sounded really great. I noticed when really cranking this guy up I get tube distortion, thats normal, but there is this weird sound that stays with the sound.

The best way to expalin it is that what happens is when the amp is set to play clean, it is not. There is alway a little bit of a type of fuzz that is with the signal, it not tube distortion.

I have not opened it up to check yet but does anybody have any experience with this amp or others like it to let me know what is up with it. I dont knoe when the tubes were changed last or any info like that. Also there are these weird microphonics that happen when the amp is on. I am planning to brind it to a tech soon, but just wanted to know if its part of the sound of the amp or not.

This amp is suppose to super clean in nature, anways let me know what you guys think. Thanks

GoatKnuckles
gettin' sounds

Post by GoatKnuckles » Thu Feb 12, 2009 1:01 pm

congrats those amps are crazy, I used one on a session a while back and still found it to be a rather clean amp, you had to get the volume up pretty high to get it to really break up so you definetly shouldn't be getting that fuzziness that you speak of at lower cleaner volumes, its definetly not a charachteristic of the sound of those amps.
GYM CLASS HEROES/LADYBIRDS INC.
for Session Work on Keyboards/Programming/Guitar/Bass

Boogdish
takin' a dinner break

Re: sound city 50 plus *Weird distorted sound"

Post by Boogdish » Thu Feb 12, 2009 4:08 pm

From what you've described, I would think that you have a parasitic oscillation. These are usually caused by poor lead dress (the physical arrangement of the wires). It could be other things as well, it might need a cap job, you might have a preamp tube that's very microphonic.

operator_tape
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by operator_tape » Sun Feb 15, 2009 1:37 pm

preamp tube was very microphonic, found the culprit, thanks for chimming in guys. The amp sounds great