LD Tube mic w/out exagerrated high end?

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
honkyjonk
dead but not forgotten

LD Tube mic w/out exagerrated high end?

Post by honkyjonk » Sat May 24, 2003 8:43 am

I'm almost ready to throw a bunch of money down and buy a tube LD condensor. Maybe I havn't lost my high frequency hearing yet, but does it seem like there's a lot of tube mics out there with an exaggerated high end?
Could someone give me a list of tube LD's without that quality for me to look into?

Meriphew
deaf.

Re: LD Tube mic w/out exagerrated high end?

Post by Meriphew » Sat May 24, 2003 8:55 am

Soundelux, Brauner, and BLUE all make some nice tube mics if tube is the way you have to go. Check out Soundelux's ELUX 251 and E47.

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Sat May 24, 2003 9:28 am

the soundeluxes are great but still brighter than a u67.

get a soundeluxe u95 and put three popscreens in front of it.

I put pantyhose over bright vocal mics, then two or three pop screens. only if soneone is screechy though, i guess.

Meriphew
deaf.

Post by Meriphew » Sat May 24, 2003 1:37 pm

Joel Hamilton wrote:the soundeluxes are great but still brighter than a u67.

get a soundeluxe u95 and put three popscreens in front of it.

I put pantyhose over bright vocal mics, then two or three pop screens. only if soneone is screechy though, i guess.
Well the U67 is definitely one of the 'rounder' sounding mics, but I would hardly call the Soundelux mics bright. I own an ELUX 251 that has a beautiful airy top end - but it is definitely not the hyped highs like so many of the modern mics have. If you want something U67'ish check out Soundelux's U99. I've heard that it's going to be getting a makeover here in the near future.

Allcalm
pluggin' in mics

Post by Allcalm » Sun May 25, 2003 6:43 am

I'll second the BLUE stuff. On the last big record I did we did a shootout with a bunch of Mics (U47, 149, 147,U87, Elux, the Sony w/ the Funny heatsink who's name I can't remember) and the blue beat them all. I realize that every mic fits every vocalist different but there was something special about that mic... The build quality is super high and I've actually never heard anything that it didn't work well with.. I'll sing its praise to whoever will listen. This might be out of your price range but another benifit is that you can change capsules on the bottle and have another sound to work with.
-Z
PS- Has anyone used that Brauner VM1 Klaus Heyne edition? I am really curious...

TapeOpLarry
TapeOp Admin
TapeOp Admin

Post by TapeOpLarry » Sun May 25, 2003 9:52 am

The Soundelux E47 is considerably darker sounding than the Elux 251, I own and frequently A/B them on singers. I have a Brauner Valvet Voice and it's sorta bright but in a very nice way, clears up soggy singers. The Manley Cardiod reference is bright and scooped in the mids but perfect for a singer with strong mid freqs. Many times the E47 sounds a little dull on some singers, but in the end it works good many times with a sort of even-ness that lets the vocal (or any other sound) msit in the mix easily. It's great as a mono drum OH too, as the 251 gets too cymbally sometimes. On the last few albums I've done all the above mics lost out to a Blue Dragonfly though! It just sat better. I've found that all the Blue mics I've tried, Drag, Baby Bottle and Mouse, seem 'un-hyped" and fit in mixes well. I like that. Okay, I'll shut up now. Gotta go track some drums...
Larry Crane

sonariste
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by sonariste » Sun May 25, 2003 10:12 am

The AT 4047 can be a very useful mic in situations where you dont want the exagerrated top end.

Not a smooth as a the soundelux mics but in many cases it is just what I'm looking for in a vocal mic.

I couples really well with the great river NV series pres .

aurelialuz
dead but not forgotten

Post by aurelialuz » Mon May 26, 2003 8:53 am

[]
Last edited by aurelialuz on Tue Apr 06, 2004 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
"While every effort has been made to ensure optimum sound quality, priority has been given to historic content and importance."

clodock
alignin' 24-trk

Post by clodock » Tue May 27, 2003 10:31 am

I guess I'll take the requisite Lawson praising spot here. Check out the L47MP. The continuously variable pickup pattern let's you kind of dial in your high end. figure 8 - bright, cardoid - airy, not hyped, omni - flat. and you can mine the areas inbetween to get it just right. weeeee.
john.

clodock recording parlour and back-scratchery
chicago, IL USA
www.clydog.com

"and let them scratch where it itches" - Dante