SOLD -Ampex MM-1200 2" 16-track loaded!

*Gear*ed towards individuals who are buying/selling - NOT a place for businesses to post their goods for sale.

Moderators: TapeOpLarry, tomb

underthebigtree
pushin' record

SOLD -Ampex MM-1200 2" 16-track loaded!

Post by underthebigtree » Sat Aug 12, 2006 10:27 am

Much as it pains me to do so, I am moving and downsizing my studio, and have thus decided the time is right to sell my beloved MM-1200.

If you are looking at this ad, you know what we are talking about - a beast with all discrete components, the greatest drum and bass sound on earth, and a transport from the stone age. This particular unit is in great shape and has been loved and maintained by its owner. A few particulars:

Includes remote box and remote cable.
Includes extra play, record, and bias cards
includes extra VU meter lamps
Includes 2-year old MRL calibration tape, with 15IPS and 30IPS tones
Includes Take-up reel, 1 reel GP9 scratch tape for calibration, 6 used reels of 499
Includes Variable speed box
Includes Manual with schematics

PURC Bias cards on channels 5-13, for gapless punch-in

Cosmetically restored when I bought it - repainted the front and side doors and thoroughly cleaned it top to bottom. Looks amazing.

Heads are in great shape. While I never had a head report done, Michael Gore says that they are fine, and I've had no problems recording with them.
Recapped all electrolytics on play, repro, and bias cards with Sprague Atoms.
Replaced C32 tantalum on all record cards with Sprague Atom - this is a safety feature, because if that tant blows, it will fry the record head
Recapped playback coupling capacitor in card cage on 12 out of 16 channels.
Spent $800 having Michael Gore of BASE in San Francisco get it up to snuff when I bought it.

This deck will give you the greatest recorded sound in the world, and I have gone to great lengths to maintain and repair it. If you're only used to recording into a DAW or onto small format analog tape, you will laugh with joy the first time you hear recorded music come off this thing. But if you are buying a serious tape deck for the first time, you should know that there are always little niggly maintenance things that come up. It's like owning a vintage sports car. Once you move it, the first thing I would do is have a tech go over it again to tweak any small issues.

No longer $5000 - now $4000. Located in San Mateo, in San Francisco Bay Area. You pick up. Please, serious inquiries only.

Image[/img]
Last edited by underthebigtree on Sat Apr 24, 2010 9:14 pm, edited 3 times in total.

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Sat Aug 12, 2006 1:01 pm

Druel.. 8) Thats suck a cleen one!

I wish this was a 1"-8 and you where in NY :cry:

I meant to say thats SUCH a clean one..LOL!
Last edited by I'm Painting Again on Sat Aug 12, 2006 5:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.

underthebigtree
pushin' record

Post by underthebigtree » Sat Aug 12, 2006 1:18 pm

Yeah, but 1" tape is harder to find - 2" will be around for a long, long time.

I bought this deck in NYC and shipped it out here...you can buy it and ship it back! :wink:

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Sat Aug 12, 2006 5:50 pm

underthebigtree wrote:Yeah, but 1" tape is harder to find - 2" will be around for a long, long time.

I bought this deck in NYC and shipped it out here...you can buy it and ship it back! :wink:
I'm sitting on a stock pile of 1"..thats the main reason..

Shipping that must have been umm..nerveracking..

underthebigtree
pushin' record

Post by underthebigtree » Sat Aug 12, 2006 9:59 pm

Actually, a very long story. Short version:

I built a shipping container on the west coast, flew to Brooklyn with it, got the unit in a Williamsburg loft recording studio, hauled it down 3 flights of stairs with a bunch of teamsters, put it into the crate on the sidewalk, loaded it onto the freight truck, and flew home. Picked it up on the other end and took it straight to B.A.S.E. to have it looked at. Survived the trip without a scratch - just needed some regular maintenance.

OK, actually not that long of a story after all.

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Sun Aug 13, 2006 11:56 pm

You're gonna miss her when she's gone.

underthebigtree
pushin' record

Post by underthebigtree » Wed Aug 23, 2006 2:40 pm

Unit is now in San Mateo. Very easy access right out of a garage and into your truck.

underthebigtree
pushin' record

Post by underthebigtree » Sun Nov 30, 2008 11:52 pm

Bumpity bump bump bump. Looks like I'm going to be in a small studio space for the time being, so the MM-1200 is back on the market.

Give yourself one helluva fine sounding Christmas present. All transformers, discrete electronics, and fat tape width. Located in San Mateo, California.

And to sweeten the pot, I now have a half-dozen reels of pre-loved 499 that I'll throw into the deal.

Will consider trade for an excellent analog recording console (Neotek, Auditronics, etc)

:D

underthebigtree
pushin' record

Post by underthebigtree » Tue Jan 13, 2009 1:28 pm

Bumpity bump!

Price slashed to $4K! Give yourself the all discrete, transformer-driven tone of the gods!

lassoharp
ass engineer

Post by lassoharp » Sun Feb 08, 2009 11:30 pm

Is this beauty still for sale?

Have you any interest in a 1981 Soundcraft 800 16 X 8 (master module upgraded by Audio Upgrades) ? Comes with 1/4 patch bay which includes 3 19 inch 52 point brass punch block style with all console cabling. Trade plus cash for you for the Ampex?

underthebigtree
pushin' record

Post by underthebigtree » Sat Mar 28, 2009 9:41 am

Hi Lassoharp -

Sorry I didn't see your response to this ad for a while. The MM-1200 is still for sale. Afraid I can't use the Soundcraft desk.

All reasonable offers entertained. It really is a great deck.

Preslav
gettin' sounds

Post by Preslav » Tue Apr 07, 2009 7:46 am

sent you a PM

underthebigtree
pushin' record

Post by underthebigtree » Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:45 pm

Bumpity bump. Tons of interest, but no cash on the barrelhead. Last chance on this baby before I start wiring it into my patchbay, then it will stay in the studio for good.

James Lugo
audio school graduate

Post by James Lugo » Fri Jan 22, 2010 4:34 pm

Is it still available?
http://www.JamesLugo.com
http://www.WritingGiants.com
http://www.myspace.com/jameslugo
Clients Include: The Smashing Pumpkins, 311, A Fine Frenzy, The Veronica's, American Idol

My Videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/jameslugo

James Lugo
audio school graduate

Post by James Lugo » Sun Jan 24, 2010 10:39 am

Sold to ME! :D

I am so excited, we start remodeling our new studio in a week and then plan on heading to Frisco 3rd week of February to pick her up.

James
http://www.JamesLugo.com
http://www.WritingGiants.com
http://www.myspace.com/jameslugo
Clients Include: The Smashing Pumpkins, 311, A Fine Frenzy, The Veronica's, American Idol

My Videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/jameslugo