BSS Audio Opal series

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

theslumlord
takin' a dinner break

BSS Audio Opal series

Post by theslumlord » Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:20 pm

Anybody have any info about this company, and it's Opal series?
I've tried to do some searches, but nothing too useful came up. The only thing I could tell is that the Opal series is their lower end models.

Has anybody used their gear (e.g. compressors)? I've been looking at the dual one.

Thanks.

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Re: BSS Audio Opal series

Post by joel hamilton » Sun Mar 29, 2009 5:59 am

theslumlord wrote:Anybody have any info about this company, and it's Opal series?
I've tried to do some searches, but nothing too useful came up. The only thing I could tell is that the Opal series is their lower end models.

Has anybody used their gear (e.g. compressors)? I've been looking at the dual one.

Thanks.
Brooke Siren Systems.
Thats what BSS stands for in your searches.
They are great. I had their quad gate, and their de-esser/compressor thingy for a few years. The opal series was their budget stuff, intended more for touring live work than the studio, but the stuff works, and the company was solid. I only used one of the opal gate thingies live once. They feel cheaper than the originals. the originals are much more expensive, but they are built better, sound better, and probably last longer.
Remember that price isnt just always because of "hype" or whatever people bitch about with ebay.
It actually can be an indication of actual value.
Enjoy.
That type of thing, even the opal series, is much better built than a lot of the cruddy prosumer offerings lately that [claim they] seek to "democratize" recording by pooping on its infrastructure.

theslumlord
takin' a dinner break

Post by theslumlord » Sun Mar 29, 2009 9:39 am

Thanks Joel for the info. It helps a lot. There are so many smaller companies out there that make great gear, but they just don't have the monetary resources to either have them advertised up the wazoo, or to make them so available that testing them out in a store is easy. Plus, I wish I had the cash to try many of them out. In cases like this, for me, recommendations are very helpful.

Thanks again.

PrettyMusic
audio school graduate

Post by PrettyMusic » Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:27 am

The only BSS Opal gear I have used is the DPR-901 II Dynamic Equaliser. Let me tell ya, it is an awesome one-of-a-kind tool. I used it like a compressor, but set to compress only those frequencies that got too loud and offensive (on a screeching lead guitar and on a loud singer with zero vocal technique). An amazing tool. Quite professional and able to handle unique tasks that can't be easily handled with a normal compressor and equalizer. You have to try it to believe it.

I've noticed that a lot of live (FOH) sound engineers have Opal gear in their racks, but this brand hasn't really caught on in a big way for studio use. But there ARE other recording engineers using it, because that's who turned me on to the DPR-901 II.

calaverasgrandes
ghost haunting audio students

Post by calaverasgrandes » Sun Mar 29, 2009 11:31 am

I passed up a BSS di/preamp at a flea market last year.
DAMN DAMN DAMN! Once I got the fuzz out of my head I realized that it must have been one of their first products. The encloure looked almost like an EH box or a PAIA kit. Me thinks it may have been one of the first commercial active DIs? Well by the time I got back around to that seller they had rolled up their bedhseet and gone home.
??????? wrote: "everything sounds best right before it blows up."