Some nice Zappa articles

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

Jeff White
ghost haunting audio students

Some nice Zappa articles

Post by Jeff White » Mon Apr 06, 2009 12:47 am

http://mixonline.com/recording/business ... ers_sound/
http://mixonline.com/recording/intervie ... index.html

Both of these comprise a Zappa studio timeline. I found them to be very informative and a great read. The stuff concerning live recording (especially editing together his massive archive) and the Beach Boys' Mobile that he purchased are quite interesting to me. Mixing live shows from the Mobile Truck on a Neve!

I've been rediscovering Zappa's work after a 5 year break. I've been a fan half of my life (18 years or so), and was obsessed with his music in my early to mid 20s.

Jeff
I record, mix, and master in my Philly-based home studio, the Spacement. https://linktr.ee/ipressrecord

Waltz Mastering
steve albini likes it

Post by Waltz Mastering » Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:55 am

Growing up a big Zappa fan, I look forward to checking out the articles about the recording process pre urmk. Saw him live around 10 times

Cheers...

;ivlunsdystf
Location: The Great Frontier of the Southern Anoka Sand Plain

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:05 am

There is no lovelier sight than Zappa's tape archives, which one can glimpse in the VH1 Classic Albums Zappa episode.

shedshrine
deaf.

Post by shedshrine » Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:51 am

Anyone know why Zappa's entire catalog is out of print at the moment?

Thanks for the article links btw.

"Favorite Zappa moments" tomb thread

Jitters
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Jitters » Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:28 am

shedshrine wrote:Anyone know why Zappa's entire catalog is out of print at the moment?

Thanks for the article links btw.

"Favorite Zappa moments" tomb thread
I think it's part of Gail's master strategy to see just how far up her bum she can get her head stuck.

shedshrine
deaf.

Post by shedshrine » Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:56 am

I'm looking around, but I'm still not clear what's going on. Warner buys Ryko, Gail sues, everything is out of print..
There's demand up the ying yang, what are they waiting for? Remaster everything first? Just avail as downloads?

shedshrine
deaf.

Post by shedshrine » Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:27 am

Apologize if the whole matter is common knowledge, I just haven't been able to find a definitive answer as to where the matter stands.
I will continue to research in the meantime.

---

Ah, Okay, I see Barfko Swill has new material releases on vinyl ($150 on up ..)
http://barfkoswill.shop.musictoday.com/ ... rt=&page=0

..and cds for less.
http://barfkoswill.shop.musictoday.com/ ... rt=&page=1

"I think it's really tragic when people get serious about stuff. It's such an absurdity to take anything really seriously ...
I make an honest attempt not to take anything seriously: I worked that attitude out about the time I was eighteen, I mean,
what does it all mean
when you get right down to it, what's the story here? Being alive is so weird."

Hope they work out whatever's holding off re issuing the back catalog soon. In the meantime, I've got these..

shedshrine
deaf.

Post by shedshrine » Fri Mar 30, 2012 6:08 pm

The obsession continues..

shedshrine
deaf.

Post by shedshrine » Thu Apr 12, 2012 4:31 pm

shedshrine
deaf.

Post by shedshrine » Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:43 pm

Okay, I think that's it. I'm done.

drumroll.....

Tadaah!!

shedshrine
deaf.

Post by shedshrine » Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:44 am

According to zappa.com:

ZAPPA FAMILY TRUST REGAINS CONTROL OF ICONIC MUSICIAN?S EXTENSIVE CATALOG

GLOBAL LICENSE/DISTRIBUTION DEAL SIGNED WITH UNIVERSAL MUSIC ENTERPRISES

CATALOG OF 60 RECORDINGS TO BE LAUNCHED WITH JULY 31 RELEASE OF 12 TITLES

Back home where it belongs, the music of FRANK ZAPPA is now back in the hands of the ZAPPA FAMILY TRUST.

To celebrate this, the estate has signed a global license and distribution deal with UNIVERSAL MUSIC ENTERPRISES to release 60 of the iconic composer?s recordings. The roll-out kicks off July 31 with 12 recordings, with another dozen recordings to be released monthly through the end of 2012.

?The ink is not yet dry on The Zappa Family Trust's worldwide deal with Universal Music Enterprises,? says Gail Zappa. ?They made us the offer we couldn't refuse--for all the right reasons. It is a win-win for all of us, but mostly for Frank Zappa. Long may his baton wave. We are so ready to go.?

?The artist and composer, Frank Zappa, is one of the most important and influential artists in music history with his prolific body of work, including his breakthrough rock ?n roll concept albums. We are honored that Gail Zappa and the Zappa Family Trust have entrusted us with his legacy. We intend to honor him and bring high quality releases, digital and physical, for his new and longtime fans,? said Bruce Resnikoff, President/CEO, Universal Music Enterprises (UMe).

Now fully back in hands of the Zappa Family Trust--headed by Zappa?s widow Gail Zappa--the releases will honor the iconic legacy of the composer, musician, bandleader and filmmaker. ZAPPA was posthumously inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1995 and received the Grammy Lifetime Achievement Award in 1997 (although the family would like to know where it is). The official biography: Frank Zappa, American composer, 1940-1993.

The UME deal is for the entire Zappa Catalog as it appeared on Frank Zappa's own independent label, Barking Pumpkin Records. Many of the original analog masters have been re-mastered for this occasion. Yes that's right, you heard right. The entire Catalog, in all its spiffnificent glory will launch July 31, just in time for Frank Zappa?s daughter DIVA?s birthday-- an occasion that will be celebrated along with GAIL, sister MOON UNIT and brothers DWEEZIL and AHMET.

For more information, go to www.zappa.com.

"The initial 12 FRANK ZAPPA releases included in the ZAPPA/ UNIVERSAL deal set for July 31 are as follows. **Date signifies original year of release.

1. Freak Out! (1966)
2. Absolutely Free (1967)
3. Lumpy Gravy (1968)
4. We're Only In It For The Money (1968)
5. Cruising With Ruben & The Jets (1968)
6. Uncle Meat (1969)
7. Hot Rats (1969)
8. Burnt Weeny Sandwich (1970)
9. Weasels Ripped My Flesh (1970)
10. Chunga's Revenge (1970)
11. Fillmore East, June 1971 (1971)
12. Just Another Band From L.A. (1972)

More info...

THE NEW FRANK ZAPPA REMASTERS FOR 2012
As of June 11, 2012, it has been confirmed that Universal will take over the release of Frank Zappa's catalog. Twelve albums will arrive on July 31, with "another dozen recordings to be released monthly through the end of 2012," reports theseconddisc.com. This initial batch contains all of Zappa's 1960s albums with and without The Mothers of Invention, and represents every one of Zappa's albums between 1966 and 1971, save the early compilation Mothermania and the film soundtrack to 200 Motels. The press release indicates that "many of the original analog masters have been remastered for this occasion." No mention has been made about bonus tracks and the CD price.

Jeff White

Post by Jeff White » Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:26 pm

Oh sweet! Psyched to hear these!

Jeff
I record, mix, and master in my Philly-based home studio, the Spacement. https://linktr.ee/ipressrecord

shedshrine
deaf.

Post by shedshrine » Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:24 pm

A rundown on the functions of all those knobs and switches on Frank's custom SG:

shedshrine
deaf.

Post by shedshrine » Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:18 pm

Roxy by Proxy album licensing deal

"Roxy by Proxy offers up 76 minutes of previously unheard master recordings from two shows, recorded at Los Angeles venue the Roxy in 1973.
Rather than simply package and release the recordings, however, fans are being offered an exclusive licensing deal. For $1,000, they can own a duplication of the master copy and sell their own copies, complete with official art, for whatever price they choose as long as they pay a royalty of $1.20 per unit sold."

timcoalman
gettin' sounds

Post by timcoalman » Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:07 am

The Real Frank Zappa Book is highly recommended!