Anyone know what this Urei part is??

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

thedirtroad
pluggin' in mics

Anyone know what this Urei part is??

Post by thedirtroad » Sat Apr 11, 2009 3:42 pm

It seems to be some sort of line amp or I/O card.
I've googled the crap out of it but can't find anything.
It's got what looks to be a trafo, a NE5534N and some WIMA caps among other stuff. I'd like to know what I've got so I can either sell it, keep it or make something out of it! Thanks!
Unknown Urei part pics

nclayton
steve albini likes it

Post by nclayton » Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:04 am

I'm pretty sure that's a mic input card for a 1620 mixer.

Those mixers are kind of collector/cool DJ mixers, so it's probably worth a few dollars to someone. I would think it would be worth most as a part of one of those mixers...that is it's probably not special sounding enough to justify trying to make a stand-alone mic preamp out of, but someone with a 1620 and no mic input card would no doubt like to have it.

Ned

Snarl 12/8
cryogenically thawing

Post by Snarl 12/8 » Sun Apr 12, 2009 4:13 am

I dunno, there's schemos in this thing...

http://www.jblproservice.com/pdf/Vintag ... manual.pdf
Carl Keil

Almost forgot: Please steal my drum tracks. and more.

thedirtroad
pluggin' in mics

Post by thedirtroad » Sun Apr 12, 2009 10:52 am

Thanks for the help! I just saw on a DJ forum that the original 1620 apparently had 2 revisions of mic input cards. The one shown on the schematic is close, but not the right part #. So I'm thinking this may be an earlier revision. Suppossedly the earlier ones had a beyer trafo on it. I'm still not finding a lot of information on this thing....but thanks so much for the info, you got me pointed in the right direction. If anyone knows more about it, let me know!

nclayton
steve albini likes it

Post by nclayton » Sun Apr 12, 2009 4:10 pm

I assume you looked at the big block diagram scematic to see the plug in mic pre with an input transformer. You probably realize that's a simplfied diagram. It's clear from your photos that your module is pin for pin compatible with the one shown there even though it doesn't show the circuit details. I'm not super familiar with 1620 stuff...I don't know all the revisions any numbers or anything like that, but the one that I've ever worked on had a mic preamp card that looked just like yours with a square transformer, single op-amp and gain control as far as I can recall.

The edge connector type and pin assignments definitely make it compatible with a 1620.

I know the old bozak mixers which supposedly Urei to some extent "cloned" had beyer transformers, but I think they were located on the main board, not on a card. I don't know if an older urei version was similar.

Anyway, regardless of numbers, I'm very confident that your card would plug into and work as a mic preamp for a 1620. I suppose maybe it's possible the number on the circuit board is a circuit board part number and the number printed on the schematic is a module part number?? Probably not, but maybe.

Ned