Why cant I find Analog Delay in a 'rack'

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Electro-Voice 664
re-cappin' neve

Post by Electro-Voice 664 » Tue Feb 03, 2009 7:53 am

rhythm ranch wrote:Yamaha E1005 analog delay on eBay. This one hasn't got rack ears, but it'd be happy sitting on a rack shelf. Not quite as famous as the Ibanez AD-202; it's got a great tone all its own. I own one (and an E1010) and wouldn't part with it.
I'm rockin' an E 1010 too. I think they sound cool.
"Play ethnicky jazz to parade your snazz. On your five grand stereo."

the north wind
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by the north wind » Wed Feb 04, 2009 8:57 am

Ooh... you guys just missed out on the AD-202 I sold in the buy/sell thread!
http://messageboard.tapeop.com/viewtopic.php?t=61722
Whales!

Harry
re-cappin' neve

Post by Harry » Wed Feb 04, 2009 11:17 am

there's another one over there,but it's the person's 1st post( that always scares me off)

good price though

http://messageboard.tapeop.com/viewtopic.php?t=61455

Dakota
re-cappin' neve

Post by Dakota » Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:39 am

casey campbell wrote:
Dakota wrote:I love delay. Have to resist wanting to own at least one each of all the notable models. That would be excessive.

Wouldn't it?

nah....
Hah! Yeah, ambivalence intended.
But I have about 14 rack or box mount delays and about 10 stomp box delays. An urge for more shouldn't be a studio priority. I keep reminding myself.
Harry wrote:
Dakota wrote:I love delay. Have to resist wanting to own at least one each of all the notable models. That would be excessive.

Wouldn't it?

yeah....so.... you say that like "excessive" is a bad thing:-)
Ha again.

Good point though, that analog rack delays are unlikely to ever go back into production.

Hmm, that nicely justifies telling myself to stock up on some more. Thanks!

Andy Peters
re-cappin' neve

Post by Andy Peters » Thu Feb 12, 2009 1:28 pm

Dakota wrote:Good point though, that analog rack delays are unlikely to ever go back into production.
Not unless someone starts making the bucket-brigade delay chips that are the basis of most of these things.

Now, i suppose, if someone were sufficiently clever (and insane), one could make a decent analog delay box out of an off-the-shelf line-scan CCD imager that's kept in the dark. You need to figure out a way to get the initial signal INTO the first pixel, but then it's a simple* matter to clock the CCD and buffer the serial-shift register output.

Before you laugh, realize that modern CCDs have charge-transfer efficiencies along the lines of 99.9999%, which should result in damn good audio performance (very little attenuation in the buckets). One downside: you might need to cool the sensor to keep noise down.

The reason this isn't as silly as it sounds is because the CCD came about when some BBD guys realized that their devices were light-sensitive.

-a

* By "simple," I mean the idea of how you do it is simple. The implementation? Not so much.
"On the internet, nobody can hear you mix a band."

protoolsman
ass engineer

Post by protoolsman » Sun Feb 15, 2009 7:57 am

Working with and happy with some nice analog delays. BUT... (I can almost feel some recations coming for this one) I use my Line6 EchoPro the most. :lol: Nothing analog about that, but it's got such a warm tone and it is very easy to use. Sadly they don't make m anymore.
one can never have to many microphones

bleckbleck
audio school

Post by bleckbleck » Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:59 pm

This has been an informative thread -- I've long relied upon (aka overused) my memory man as a recording effect. I love the sound, but find they are super noisy (one of mine is an Analog Man mod -- sounds great but still pretty noisy).
While my curiosity is piqued by these Yamaha and Ibanez units, I have no first hand experience with them and find myself wondering if
a) they are noticeably better sounding than the MM,
and
b) they are substantially quieter than the MM (knowing full well that ANY analog delay is going to carry SOME noise).
If they sound at least as good as the MM, AND are less noisy, I'll be one excited recordist...

Thoughts?

alkooloid
alignin' 24-trk

Post by alkooloid » Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:25 pm

Although a pedal, the MXR Carbon copy is analog and cheap,
and supposedly very nice. I'll have several, please.

A tape deck with vari-speed makes a great delay.
Sony made decks with sound on sound and echo!
Don't believe everything you think.

47ronin
ass engineer

Post by 47ronin » Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:27 pm

Skreddy Echo!

Dakota
re-cappin' neve

Post by Dakota » Fri Apr 10, 2009 10:24 am

bleckbleck wrote:This has been an informative thread -- I've long relied upon (aka overused) my memory man as a recording effect. I love the sound, but find they are super noisy (one of mine is an Analog Man mod -- sounds great but still pretty noisy).
While my curiosity is piqued by these Yamaha and Ibanez units, I have no first hand experience with them and find myself wondering if
a) they are noticeably better sounding than the MM,
and
b) they are substantially quieter than the MM (knowing full well that ANY analog delay is going to carry SOME noise).
If they sound at least as good as the MM, AND are less noisy, I'll be one excited recordist...

Thoughts?
b) Particularly when used at line level for general recording and treatments and mixing, the yamahas are substantially quieter than a memory man, the ibanez ones even quieter.

A trick to get noisy delays (both stomp and rack, BBD, tape, whatever) acting quieter is to get an old dbx type II noise reduction unit than can do simultaneous encode/decode, like the dbx 224 or other models. Dirt cheap, no one wants them. Put the delay in the "loop" of the dbx, where a tape machine would usually be patched in. If doing that, don't use the regen knob on the delay, use the board send as your feedback. This will increase the usable headroom of the delay as well. The ibanez rack delays don't need that, they already have that kind of companding built in.

That can work with all sorts of noisy fx, results varying.

a) Better sounding? BBDs are supposed to be all chewy, that's the fun. But if better equals somewhat cleaner and quieter, then yeah, the yamaha and ibanez rack BBDs are comparatively a notch more hifi than a memory man for recording purposes.

calaverasgrandes
ghost haunting audio students

Post by calaverasgrandes » Sun Apr 12, 2009 4:59 pm

My all time favorite thing about analog delays is the time wobble. They dont go click click click like teh digital ones. its more like click.. click... click..click.
I used to like to put mine on the shortest delay possible and high regen. It sounds like you are having a whammy bar duel with your self.

Did they really stop making BBD chips? MXR. Malekko and Moog are all making "analog" delays. I am pretty sure the moog is BBD, I cant speak for the other two.
??????? wrote: "everything sounds best right before it blows up."

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Sun Apr 12, 2009 6:59 pm

someone is making new ones cos there are now SMT BBD ICs showing up and SMT BBD ICs didn't exist in the 70s and 80s.

but i think the Moog and EHX pedals are using NOS chips.

*wonders how many more TLAs he can use in this post*
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

calaverasgrandes
ghost haunting audio students

Post by calaverasgrandes » Sun Apr 12, 2009 7:06 pm

*wonders when REFd is gonna get over the cheerleader avatar*
??????? wrote: "everything sounds best right before it blows up."

wren
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by wren » Sun Apr 12, 2009 8:43 pm

RefD wrote:but i think the Moog and EHX pedals are using NOS chips.
Yup. Apparently, EHX is running out, which is why Deluxe Memory Man prices made that little jump a year or so ago. And Moog's have always been in pretty short supply (or so I've heard), which is supposedly one of the reasons they cost so f%$* much.
"I don't need time, I need a deadline." -Duke Ellington

"I liked the holes in it as much as I liked what was in them." -Tom Waits

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Sun Apr 12, 2009 9:46 pm

calaverasgrandes wrote:*wonders when REFd is gonna get over the cheerleader avatar*
that's not a cheerleader, tho.
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca