Latest gear you've resurrected

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

vvv
zen recordist

Latest gear you've resurrected

Post by vvv » Fri Apr 17, 2009 5:19 am

Inspired by here.

Have you dug anything outta the storage closet, garage or basement lately?

Something that hasn't seen the light of, eh, the studio lights inna long time?

Something you are now using?

Tell us about it!

For me, I've hadda MIJ fretless Jaco for 4-5 years I've just started playing and recording with, and I'm considering getting out the Midiverb2 ...
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Fri Apr 17, 2009 6:54 am

I bought an incredibly ugly Hammond C3 about six years ago form a friend of mine who moved to NYC. ($400!) The guy was a big Jimmy Smith fan and liked the straight tone thing, so he had sold his Leslie cabinet years before that. Anyway, I bought the organ and it sat is storage for about four years. Two years ago, I had a session that was going to be heavily Hammond-oriented and I moved the C3 out to the studio with the intention of renting a Leslie cabinet. When the Leslie cabinet was delivered, we tested it with the C3, which now wouldn't turn on. Bummer. We wound up renting a B3 to use on the session and that worked out fine.

The C3 has been sitting in a booth at the studio for a couple of years with the intention of getting a Leslie cabinet and getting it all up and running. I did recently find a Leslie 122 in fantastic shape (bought NOS about 12 years ago and never toured) that's the perfect opposite to my C3 which fell of the back of a truck and onto the highway once (and still worked when it arrived at its destination) and then received a home-brew chop job.

Anyway, my friend recently moved back form NYC and helped my restore the organ, which now sounds beautiful with the Leslie, regardless of the fact that it looks clunky as hell. He wants to buy it back from me in a big way. It's exciting to have the lovely instrument working again.

I also got three ribbon mics back from ENAK a couple of days ago.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:29 am

Sounds like you actually, literally mean, "fell of the back of a truck."

Which in my experience, might be a first! :twisted:
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

calaverasgrandes
ghost haunting audio students

Post by calaverasgrandes » Fri Apr 17, 2009 10:31 am

I recently resurrected my JBL Control 10's (which are actually 12" woofers regardless) They had been relegated to TV duty since one of the woofers wasnt passing sound. I had searched all over the interweb and couldnt find the appropriate replacement driver.
Well a couple weeks ago I pulled the front grill off (literally that how you get it off!) and pulled the driver. I was looking to see if there was a fuse or some crossover problem. I have seen crossovers with shorted inductors and such before.
Nada.
Well about 3am I get up to take a whizz. Somewhere in that moment I pondered the possibility that maybe the leads from the terminals on the speaker to the voice coil might be broken.
So when I get back upstairs I check it out and the leads are shorted!
I guess it had been run so hard that the insulation melted.
i pulled them apart and applied a little dab of shoe goo.
These are going back into the studio. (they sound good for far-field mid field)
??????? wrote: "everything sounds best right before it blows up."

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Fri Apr 17, 2009 10:43 am

i got out the midiverb2!

capnreverb
takin' a dinner break

Post by capnreverb » Fri Apr 17, 2009 10:51 am

MoreSpaceEcho wrote:i got out the midiverb2!
Capnreverb's favorite reverb!

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Fri Apr 17, 2009 11:22 am

well shit. considering you're the capn that is quite an endorsement!

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Fri Apr 17, 2009 11:59 am

the MIDIVERB II is pretty great, especially considering it's an inexpensive digiverb from 1989.

i have two and hope to get a third some day.

i also like the chorus and the bank 9 special effects.

my older one has a painted steel front panel and a 1/8" phono jack for the 9VAC power, whereas the newer one has a black anodised aluminium front panel with the more common barrel-type power connector.

they sound identical, tho.
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

Jeff White
ghost haunting audio students

Post by Jeff White » Fri Apr 17, 2009 4:40 pm

I rebuilt a second pair of NS-10Ms that have sat unused for 18 months+ two weeks ago. Put new woofers in my main pair of NS-10M Studios and put the used woofers in my rebuilt mobile pair. Pulled a quad mic cable apart to wire it up, works flawlessly.

$130 for the pair (boxes/crossovers, grills, and tweeters), plus $150 for the pair of new woofers. NS-10Ms for under $300, and new woofers in my main pair!

Next step is getting my Quadraverb Plus back in working condition (hasn't been used in a decade, possibly a blown input), and then figuring out how to use an old Accutronics Spring Reverb that I pulled out of a 1990 Peavey Bandit.

Jeff
I record, mix, and master in my Philly-based home studio, the Spacement. https://linktr.ee/ipressrecord

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Fri Apr 17, 2009 5:38 pm

vvv wrote:Sounds like you actually, literally mean, "fell of the back of a truck."

Which in my experience, might be a first! :twisted:
I do. I actually know of two Hammond organs that have launched themselves onto the highway on the way to a gig. Both worked just fine upon arrival. Mine was physically beat-up in a big way, but fine, mechanically.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Fri Apr 17, 2009 5:55 pm

8)

Mine, for better or worse, is the Chicago experience ...
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

KennyLusk
dead but not forgotten

Post by KennyLusk » Fri Apr 17, 2009 7:39 pm

My beloved pair of Infinity RS9's have been out of commission for about 2 years because the foam surrounds dry rotted. I got a kit in the mail today with new surrounds and fixed everything up. The adhesive has to dry over night before I can test them but everything looks great.

I love using the RS9's as my "Big's" for mixing.
"The mushroom states its own position very clearly. It says, "I require the nervous system of a mammal. Do you have one handy?" Terrence McKenna

BENDYmusic
gettin' sounds

Post by BENDYmusic » Fri Apr 17, 2009 10:41 pm

I just fixed my old Sony boom box that had some water damage from being next to the shower for over 10 years. Not the easiest plastic box to get into, lots of interconnecting parts. A couple components had rusted leads, but with some careful solder and buss wire it now works again! Woot. Also, I fixed a friends pair of Grado headphones with a bum jack, hacked on a repurposed Switchcraft 1/4" with three layers of shrink and some hot-glue (my favorite tool). Fixing stuff rules!
Andy Snavley

Chief Sound Bender
BENDY
http://bendymusic.com/
http://bendysound.com/

Snarl 12/8
cryogenically thawing

Post by Snarl 12/8 » Sat Apr 18, 2009 2:14 am

I just busted out my Tito Puente 14" timbale for the first time in maybe 10 years. I'd tried to make it work in a few different situations but it just never sounded right. I'm finally in a band where I started craving a timbale, so I've stuck it back in the kit. I've got it to the left of the hi-hat, where most dudes put their side snare. I went and got a new diplomat head for it and everything. The 15 year old "Jack Dejohnette" signature edition, black head just wasn't ringing out like I wanted it to. It's fun hitting that thing and having it sound "right" again.

I also just pressed a Heathkit Signal Tracer into service as a guitar amp. I just bought it, so I haven't rescued it from my closet. But I feel like I'm resurrecting it into a new life as a new tool.

I'm also trying to refurbish my old Ashly mixer. I've been using it for years, but it started acting up and sounding noisy. So I'm swapping opamps and tranistors and giving it a new lease on life.
Carl Keil

Almost forgot: Please steal my drum tracks. and more.

BENDYmusic
gettin' sounds

Post by BENDYmusic » Sat Apr 18, 2009 2:33 am

Snarl 12/8 wrote:I'm also trying to refurbish my old Ashly mixer. I've been using it for years, but it started acting up and sounding noisy. So I'm swapping opamps and tranistors and giving it a new lease on life.
Sounds like it needs some new caps! Bust a cap in its ass! Sorry, its 2:30am.
Andy Snavley

Chief Sound Bender
BENDY
http://bendymusic.com/
http://bendysound.com/