What Did You Work On Today? 4/18/09

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

cgarges
zen recordist

What Did You Work On Today? 4/18/09

Post by cgarges » Sat Apr 18, 2009 6:21 am

So what did you guys do today, Saturday, April 18th, 2009?

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

firby
takin' a dinner break

Post by firby » Sat Apr 18, 2009 8:56 am

I read about 5 pages of that damn Tapes vs Hard Drives thread.

I am going to a record store to catch a performance. Today is coincidentally record store day. Today is also earth day.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090417/ap_ ... _store_day
I'm a bad man!

lapsteel
pushin' record

Post by lapsteel » Sat Apr 18, 2009 9:31 am

I'm doing some record store day activities, then possibly recording afterwards.

NewAndImprov
re-cappin' neve

Post by NewAndImprov » Sat Apr 18, 2009 11:42 am

Tonight I'm recording a show by one of my favorite bands at a local club. The band is a jazz-rock GTR/bass/drums trio, all 3 are among my favorite local players. Doing a fairly complicated setup, including DI's on the guitar for possible reamping. These guys don't play out very often, and are much more of a live vibe kind of band, so we're hoping to get a releasable recording from this show. I'm pretty excited about this show.

Spent yesterday recording trombone overdubs for my band's new CD, then played a gig with the same band. Shure SM7 + 7thCircle N72= Trombone Goodness. Trombonist sat in with us on the gig as well, adding to our trumpet/tenor horn section. It was a fun gig.

gradwellhouse
alignin' 24-trk

Post by gradwellhouse » Sat Apr 18, 2009 12:29 pm

Doing a live tracking session for a band called Windsor Park Walkers (http://www.myspace.com/windsorparkwalkers).

Live is a nice change from tracking seperately, solid players and we took some serious time on tones so I feel like its sounding good right off the floor.

jrsgodfrey
re-cappin' neve

Post by jrsgodfrey » Sat Apr 18, 2009 1:25 pm

Sorting through the takes from last week's tracking sessions. So far, still sounds good.

ott0bot
dead but not forgotten

Post by ott0bot » Sat Apr 18, 2009 1:56 pm

I'm doing some intern work. Going through an EDL sheet and finding sounds for a short film. The film is kinda lame...but it's good experience. Only 30 more hours to go!

nopenopenope
gettin' sounds

Post by nopenopenope » Sat Apr 18, 2009 5:35 pm

- did a surround mix of Mike Anderson's "TN Women" tune (very Ryan Adams' "Jacksonville").
- did a surround mix of a cover of the Black Rebel Motorcycle Club's "All You Do Is Talk"
- did a rough surround mix of Ian Doerr's "I Am Not The Answer" (Ryan Adams + Wilco + The Beatles's Sgt. Pepper's era - crazy!)
- finalized a stereo mix of the BRMC tune
- did a final(?) stereo mix of Brynn Waggoner's "Burden of Our Courage" (just plain awesome indie pop: piano, vox and cellos)
- worked on some post production, writing in pan automation

i normally thoroughly dislike it, but the Studer D950s is PHENOMENAL for surround mixing. Holy crap. Plus mixing these tunes in surround was lots of fun, they really lent themselves to the format.

So yeah, busy day. And I went to a charity event called Wing Fling: $8 for all you can eat wings from lots of restaurants, sororities and fraternities on campus. We (Phi Mu Alpha) even hosted a table. A delicious, delicious table of garlic parmesan wings.

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Sat Apr 18, 2009 5:40 pm

JoshSites wrote:And I went to a charity event called Wing Fling: $8 for all you can eat wings from lots of restaurants, sororities and fraternities on campus. We (Phi Mu Alpha) even hosted a table. A delicious, delicious table of garlic parmesan wings.
Why were this event and the Welcome To 1979 Birthday Bash both today instead of last week when I was there? Blast!

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

Jay Reynolds
carpal tunnel

Post by Jay Reynolds » Sat Apr 18, 2009 6:26 pm

A friend left his Teli Deluxe at my place, so i took the opportunity to frankenstein together a performance of myself doing the guitar riff from Earache My Eye.
Prog out with your cog out.

CurtZHP
re-cappin' neve

Post by CurtZHP » Sat Apr 18, 2009 7:56 pm

I'm reburning and reprinting a pile of DVD's for a client because I spelled their name wrong on everything. :oops:
"TEMPUS FUGIT" the Novel -- Now Available!!
http://www.curtyengst.com

DrummerMan
george martin

Post by DrummerMan » Sat Apr 18, 2009 8:07 pm

Finally made it back to the studio 4 hours later than expected due to a very long funeral and a crapload of traffic. Proceeded to try and work on redoing/reworking some music cues for 3 animated shorts. It's always a weird mindset to take something that you put a bunch of time into and change it based on notes from some producer(s), often telling you now to do the exact opposite thing they asked you to do originally :x . I always have to get through a short period (usually just a day or two) of being just a little pissed off about things like that before I can let go and just do what needs to be done for the sake of what's on the screen. I guess it's a people skill I still need to work on, though I rarely let it spill out into my professional interactions, 'cause, you know, I got a job to do. Well, apparently I'm still in the middle of that period, so everything I tried to do just went nowhere, fast. Gave up after a few hours and decided to enjoy the rest of my night so's I can start fresh tomorrow. Since the wife and kid are out at a bridal shower, I'm watching The Lost Boys which randomly is on TV. awesome. :^:
Geoff Mann
composer | drummer | Los Angeles, CA

JWL
deaf.

Post by JWL » Sat Apr 18, 2009 9:05 pm

jrsgodfrey wrote:Sorting through the takes from last week's tracking sessions. So far, still sounds good.
Same here.

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Sat Apr 18, 2009 10:07 pm

Worked up a cue for the prologue to Measure For Measure which starts with Elizabethan lute and morphs into delta blues guitar and then into French hip-hop. I'm hoping the director digs the rug-pull idea of starting with the clich? "Shakespeare" music and then warping into the actual music for the show.

Also, went to the United Center to watch my clients the Chicago Blackhawks win game 2 of the Stanley Cup playoffs.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

wren
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by wren » Sat Apr 18, 2009 10:39 pm

Played a gig, which was stressful because the opening band canceled last week, so we found another. That band got thrown in jail last night, so we had to find another band a day before the gig. We found one, but their guitarist got sick today and so we had to find yet another band today, about 5 hours before the show. We found one; they were awesome, and we played really well, so: good show, but I don't want to go through that many opening bands in such a short space of time ever again.
dwlb wrote:Worked up a cue for the prologue to Measure For Measure which starts with Elizabethan lute and morphs into delta blues guitar and then into French hip-hop. I'm hoping the director digs the rug-pull idea of starting with the clich? "Shakespeare" music and then warping into the actual music for the show.
That's awesome. I love it when people tweak Shakespeare slightly. Did the director request the untraditional music and you decided to tack the lute on the beginning of it, or what?
"I don't need time, I need a deadline." -Duke Ellington

"I liked the holes in it as much as I liked what was in them." -Tom Waits