Please Help Tascam 38 won't play or record

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

swinky
audio school

Please Help Tascam 38 won't play or record

Post by swinky » Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:06 pm

My tascam 38 was working fine up to last week when in the middle of a session
all of a sudden it would not playback. I noticed the output select lights "input" "sync" "repro" were slowly fading out until they went totally out. I turned the machine off and put a fan on it for about 20 minutes. When I turned the machine on again the lights were at full brightness and the machine worked fine again.
Today when I turned the machine on it would not playback, again I noticed a similar phenomenon but this time the "input" and "repro" lights while weaker stayed on but the sync light flickered and went out. Can anyone help me with this problem please?

klangtone
pushin' record

Post by klangtone » Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:44 am

First thing to check on that machine are the fuses. Sounds like you could have one or more that are going resistive on you. So instead of just checking continuity on them, measure their resistances to see if one is reading an unusually high value. Just an educated guess...

Roy
www.rarefiedrecording.com
"No matter how corrupt, greedy, and heartless our government, our corporations, our media,
and our religious and charitable institutions may become, the music will still be wonderful." -Kurt Vonnegut

swinky
audio school

still not working

Post by swinky » Tue Apr 21, 2009 2:36 pm

thanks for getting back to us klangtone but I checked the fuses and it's not the problem. Anybody have a clue as to what the problem might be?

klangtone
pushin' record

Post by klangtone » Tue Apr 21, 2009 2:42 pm

Oh you know what... I mistook your machine for the Tascam 388. my bad...

I guess my suggestion was still somewhat valid anyhow.
Maybe some of the caps are going bad. Might be worth replacing some of the big electrolytics that should be hanging off the main DC power rails.

Roy
www.rarefiedrecording.com
"No matter how corrupt, greedy, and heartless our government, our corporations, our media,
and our religious and charitable institutions may become, the music will still be wonderful." -Kurt Vonnegut

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:17 am

Have you checked all of the internal connections? Molex connectors, edge connectors etc? Has the machine been moved recently?

swinky
audio school

tascam 38

Post by swinky » Sat Apr 25, 2009 8:23 am

cheers drumsound for getting back to me , I checked all the molex connectors etc and it had'nt been moved lately so i caved in and brought it to the repair place . I can't do anything without it. He's honest and I just don't know enough about that suff. Need to take a course.

drumsound
zen recordist

Re: tascam 38

Post by drumsound » Sun Apr 26, 2009 11:32 am

swinky wrote:cheers drumsound for getting back to me , I checked all the molex connectors etc and it had'nt been moved lately so i caved in and brought it to the repair place . I can't do anything without it. He's honest and I just don't know enough about that suff. Need to take a course.
Like playing, engineering and mixing, and producing its just as good to know what you can't do as much as knowing what you can.

There are a lot of cats who are good with the prosumer decks. I hope you get her back in working order soon.

skywavebe
ass engineer

Post by skywavebe » Fri May 15, 2009 8:35 am

Hello Tony at Oxide, I worked on your 62 I think?

Where did you bring the 38? I just want to make sure you got a recognized place that will not rip you off as I have heard from so many of my clients.
Best regards,

Sam Palermo,
Skywave Tape Deck Repair
(708) 334-2260 cell
skywavebe@sbcglobal.net
Past Lead Tech. Teac Chicago Factory Service

Piotr
tinnitus

Post by Piotr » Sun May 17, 2009 11:03 pm

I have a Tascam 38 in perfect condition if you need one.
Yours,

Piotr

piotr@thebarkmarket.com

----------------------
Id quod visum plocet

Thomas Aquinas

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Mon May 18, 2009 12:28 am

skywavebe wrote:Hello Tony at Oxide, I worked on your 62 I think?

Where did you bring the 38? I just want to make sure you got a recognized place that will not rip you off as I have heard from so many of my clients.
Hiya Sam,

Yes you did take care of my machine!