Recording related injuries

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

getreel
carpal tunnel

Post by getreel » Wed Apr 29, 2009 7:35 am

Does OCD count? I've also been shocked more than a couple times.

floid
buyin' a studio

Post by floid » Wed Apr 29, 2009 7:40 am

bad back from sleeping on the concrete floor of my studio for years, bad knees, ears and hunchback from sitting slumpy lotus at various SIBs pumping distorto headphone mixes for most of my twenties, shredded lungs from a pouch of Drum/session, permanent bruisish looking spot on my chest from the band practice when i jabbed my pointy headstock peavy into an oscillating fan, breaking off a blade, thus sending the fan dancing around a bedroom full of band, lumpy mishapen broken pinky finger from the set i taped where i threw my guitar at the soundguy for sweeping the eq on my cab mic while i was in the middle of the first song, missing earlobe from the time i became convinced removal of said appendage would help me develop a recognizable mixing style.
oh yeah, and the inevitable story about the band i recorded (and tweaked, and recorded, and tweaked...) in high school whose long-suffering drummer would don headphones knowing full well that at some point during every session i would invariably press the wrong button and blast him with feedback.
Village Idiot.

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Wed Apr 29, 2009 10:46 am

AND WE HAVE A WINNER.

you don't really go through a whole pouch of drum per session do you?

aurelialuz
dead but not forgotten

Post by aurelialuz » Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:48 am

i always seem to throw out my back during or right after sessions. i think i'm too tense, throwing my body around trying to figure what fuckin cable is plugged into that channel...etc...
"While every effort has been made to ensure optimum sound quality, priority has been given to historic content and importance."

Gaz
audio school graduate

Post by Gaz » Wed Apr 29, 2009 1:03 pm

awww, you guys are making me feel better!
- Do you have any quotes?

- Why don't you just quote me to spice things up?

Snarl 12/8
cryogenically thawing

Post by Snarl 12/8 » Wed Apr 29, 2009 1:38 pm

MoreSpaceEcho wrote:in the end i turned out fine but apparently i would've been dead in two days had i not gotten some help.
Am I crazy, of does that sound suspiciously like what the TJ Doherty dude had? Did he ever take a shit in your bathroom?
Carl Keil

Almost forgot: Please steal my drum tracks. and more.

Judas Jetski
carpal tunnel

Post by Judas Jetski » Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:55 pm

My left knee always starts hurting during mixdown, less often during tracking. Doc tells me it's a strain of some sort. I have no idea how this happens. Only that it does.
New Judas Jetski EP up! andysmash.bandcamp.com

www.andysmash.com

Cryonicsound
alignin' 24-trk

Post by Cryonicsound » Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:03 pm

I once got a jolt adjusting a U47 with a power supply that apparently had a power supply that wasn't grounded well
------------------------------
Rafi Singer
Cryonic Sound

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:36 pm

i got bitten by my old tweed Fender Harvard a few dozen times back in the 80s.

many times slashed my fingers with the razor while adding leader to 1/4" (imma friggin' genius).

a person i haven't spoken to in over 20 years dropped an EV12L-loaded 1986 Carvin X100B 4x12" cab on my foot from hip height while setting up.

many sliced fingers on many unoccupied rack rails and mangled screw heads.

miscellaneous nervous breaks and shit fits due to people (and by people i mean "singers", specifically the ones who never learned an instrument other than the cheques their parents write for them) who can't stay on task for longer than 5 minutes at a time.

tinnitus.

haemorrhoids.

oh, and my favourite: caught an ear infection off some dirty phones in 1990 that resulted in the tympanic membrane of my right ear rupturing under pressure and showering my shoulder and the inside of my cousin's front passenger window with blood and pus as he drove me to the doctor to get looked at.

that last one took me a few months to fully recover from.

there's more, but i'm sure everyone is nodding off by now.
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

Judas Jetski
carpal tunnel

Post by Judas Jetski » Fri May 01, 2009 5:41 pm

RefD wrote: oh, and my favourite: caught an ear infection off some dirty phones in 1990 that resulted in the tympanic membrane of my right ear rupturing under pressure and showering my shoulder and the inside of my cousin's front passenger window with blood and pus as he drove me to the doctor to get looked at.

OMG. How absolutely f***ing awful. And how absolutely completely freakish! That had to really hurt! Didja get a picture of the window? Gawd, that must have sucked! How completely bizarre! Eeeeeewwwwwww....

:shock: :kotzen: :shock: :schuettel: :shock: :kotzen: :(
New Judas Jetski EP up! andysmash.bandcamp.com

www.andysmash.com

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Fri May 01, 2009 6:20 pm

Judas Jetski wrote:
RefD wrote: oh, and my favourite: caught an ear infection off some dirty phones in 1990 that resulted in the tympanic membrane of my right ear rupturing under pressure and showering my shoulder and the inside of my cousin's front passenger window with blood and pus as he drove me to the doctor to get looked at.

OMG. How absolutely f***ing awful. And how absolutely completely freakish! That had to really hurt! Didja get a picture of the window? Gawd, that must have sucked! How completely bizarre! Eeeeeewwwwwww....

:shock: :kotzen: :shock: :schuettel: :shock: :kotzen: :(
actually, at the time i thought i'd been shot in the head.

no photo cos i didn't own a camera at the time and besides that was the last thing i was thinking about.

for the following three weeks it felt like i had a big hot metal ball embedded in my skull just behind the ear...i'm pretty sure all i did was sleep, drink a glass of milk with my horse pill antibiotics and use the toilet.

oh, and BIZARRE DREAMS! :shock:
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

junkstar
re-cappin' neve

Post by junkstar » Mon May 04, 2009 6:12 am

Threaded a string right through the tip of my finger while trying to yank it off the guitar. Felt like a fish.

Have caught way too many shards of drum sticks in the face over the years.

Tinnitus is a serious problem now in my advanced years. I really screwed that up.

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Mon May 04, 2009 8:51 am

junkstar wrote:Tinnitus is a serious problem now in my advanced years. I really screwed that up.
that one is really difficult to avoid, especially if you're involved in making or otherwise working with amplified music.

permanent hearing damage
re-cappin' neve

Post by permanent hearing damage » Mon May 04, 2009 11:46 am

wow. i have many scars from playing (and misplaying) drums, but i have never sliced open an eyeball - mine or anyone's. next time i accidentally throw a stick at my singer, i should tell him he is getting off easy.

i do have a sweet sunn 2000s bass head i got for a steal many years ago that is not grounded. i do my best to warn bands who are using it to be careful what they touch if/when they also touch anything that is plugged into it. bands often shock themselves a little while using it - moreso when the studio was still in my basement. well, shortly after telling this one band about the grounding thing, i walked into the control room to hear the sound of DC going through the amp and a loud "YEEEEEOOOOOWWW." the guitarist had apparently touched the headstock while holding his own guitar. oops.

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Mon May 04, 2009 12:07 pm

permanent hearing damage wrote:next time i accidentally throw a stick at my singer, i should tell him he is getting off easy.
that should never be an accident. :D