replacing capsule on an MXL V67

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Rodgre
carpal tunnel

replacing capsule on an MXL V67

Post by Rodgre » Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:05 am

I recently picked up an MXL V67 (which is my favorite mic on my own voice, go figure) for very cheap. Unfortunately I opened it up after buying it to see that the capsule had some ripples in it on both sides, most likely from a fall.

I would like to replace and upgrade it. I've checked out Peluso's capsules and wondered if there were other options to use in this mic. While I'm at it, is a tranny upgrade worth the money as well?

I already have two other V67s in the studio and I figure this one could be the guinea pig for upgrading.

Roger

idealfreedistribution
alignin' 24-trk

Post by idealfreedistribution » Fri May 01, 2009 3:08 pm

I don't know if there are any other better options for the money than the Pelusos. As far as transformers, there was discussion at Prodigy Pro about this, and most of the guys there either couldn't find a suitable replacment, or didn't think the original was too bad by itself. There are posts over there about rebiasing the FET, which makes a noticable improvement.
craig

Brian
resurrected

Post by Brian » Tue May 12, 2009 12:59 pm

Rebiasing is always a thing to look into, so is upgrading the parts in there. It's a great mic as is but, some of the caps in there could be improved. I upgraded the crap out of mine and it sounds a lot better.
Harumph!