Any recommendations for a new CDR recorder?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

thereminman
takin' a dinner break

Any recommendations for a new CDR recorder?

Post by thereminman » Mon May 11, 2009 9:57 am

My old Phillips is starting to act up a bit.

I'm looking at that Tascam cdrw900sl.

The only thing that scares me is that it is 'slot loading' rather than tray loading....hmmmm, that just sounds like problems to me. I may be wrong.

Any thoughts?

Thank you in advance!

junkstar
re-cappin' neve

Post by junkstar » Tue May 12, 2009 9:21 am

I really like my HHB BurnIT. Have had two over the last 10 years or so and it is rock solid IMO.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/2 ... order.html

junkstar
re-cappin' neve

Post by junkstar » Tue May 12, 2009 9:22 am

Umm, duh... discontinued....

thereminman
takin' a dinner break

Post by thereminman » Tue May 12, 2009 10:38 am

There actually aren't too many being made right now it seems.
Strange, because for what I use it for, it seems there would be plenty o' others who would buy/use it for the same stuff----quick, cheap and easily distributed
rehearsal tapes when your band is practicing and wants to remember the arrangements, distribution of demos to band members, and as a mix-down deck for those of us using multi-track tape machines.

Seems simple to me.

Even as a stand alone deck used ...well, like people used to use cassette decks.

Harry
re-cappin' neve

Post by Harry » Tue May 12, 2009 10:44 am

thereminman wrote:There actually aren't too many being made right now it seems.
Strange, because for what I use it for, it seems there would be plenty o' others who would buy/use it for the same stuff----quick, cheap and easily distributed
rehearsal tapes when your band is practicing and wants to remember the arrangements, distribution of demos to band members, and as a mix-down deck for those of us using multi-track tape machines.

Seems simple to me.

Even as a stand alone deck used ...well, like people used to use cassette decks.

I like the Masterlink.

Most people just use their lap tops

junkstar
re-cappin' neve

Post by junkstar » Tue May 12, 2009 1:01 pm

I avoid using my laptop for multitasking at all costs. I like standalone, single-purpose machines. I like having the CDR as a tape recorder, if you will. I don't want to run my board into a PC. I burn on the PC only after I master something that was already mixed down to the CDR.

snatchman
george martin

Post by snatchman » Tue May 12, 2009 9:44 pm

Harry wrote:
thereminman wrote:There actually aren't too many being made right now it seems.

Seems simple to me.

Even as a stand alone deck used ...well, like people used to use cassette decks.[/quot

I like the Masterlink.

Most people just use their lap tops
+1 on the Masterlink.. People are selling them really cheap now... :?

Harry
re-cappin' neve

Post by Harry » Wed May 13, 2009 5:37 am

junkstar wrote:I avoid using my laptop for multitasking at all costs. I like standalone, single-purpose machines. I like having the CDR as a tape recorder, if you will. I don't want to run my board into a PC. I burn on the PC only after I master something that was already mixed down to the CDR.
Me too......people act like I'm the unibomber when I tell them "I like standalone, single-purpose machines" :)

centurymantra
buyin' a studio

Post by centurymantra » Wed May 13, 2009 6:22 am

Harry wrote:
junkstar wrote:I avoid using my laptop for multitasking at all costs. I like standalone, single-purpose machines. I like having the CDR as a tape recorder, if you will. I don't want to run my board into a PC. I burn on the PC only after I master something that was already mixed down to the CDR.
Me too......people act like I'm the unibomber when I tell them "I like standalone, single-purpose machines" :)
Yeah...no kidding. I'm OTB and don't use a computer, so a stand-alone recorder is a relevant thing for me. I'm inching my way back towards incorporating a computer, but will still have a need for a mixdown deck. I have a Masterlink and can say that it's a useful machine, but I also have a stand-alone CD recorder that I find very useful. I like burning a CD on the fly for quick rough mixes. I use a Sony CDR-W33 that I bought used awhile back and think it is really, really nice - rock solid. It's even got some built in processing, including a fairly useful limiter and SBM (Super Bit Mapping) technology. I've used it to make copies of cassettes and vinyl using the analog inputs and have been very pleased with the results. Worth looking for on the used market.

Bryan
Shoeshine Recording Studio
"Pop music is sterile, country music is sterile. That's one of the reasons I keep going back to baseball" - Doug Sahm

lionaudio
steve albini likes it

Post by lionaudio » Mon May 18, 2009 10:45 am

masterlink.. easy to use.. kicks ass

Marc Alan Goodman
george martin

Post by Marc Alan Goodman » Thu May 21, 2009 11:38 am

The HHB is awesome if you can get one used. They only offer the "dualburn" now which I bet is also great, but I don't know where it's priced.