holes in the mic cabinet...

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

jkretz
gettin' sounds

holes in the mic cabinet...

Post by jkretz » Mon May 18, 2009 12:53 pm

hi all,

i've recently been bitten by the gear bug, acquiring mics for recording my bands LP and am trying to figure out the holes in my mic selection. i now have have following.

definitely useful mics...

2x earthworks st77
1x sennheiser md421
1x sennheiser e609
3x sm57s
1x akg d112

debatably useful mics...

2x sennheiser nd767
1x blue 8 ball
1x mxl 990
1x mxl 991
1x akg c1000s

right now i realize that i am in need to a nice large diaphragm condenser and a nice large diaphragm dynamic (both for vocals). i was thinking about either an RE20 or an SM7b for the dynamic, but what are some good large diaphragm condensers that wont break the bank? i'm guessing i'll use them mostly for backing vocals, should a get a stereo pair for doing things like micing a leslie? i don't want to spend a ton as those earthworks really set me back...

ideas?

endofanera
gettin' sounds

Post by endofanera » Mon May 18, 2009 1:11 pm

jkretz wrote:what are some good large diaphragm condensers that wont break the bank?
There are many contenders, but an excellent performance/cost item right now -- Musicians Fiend is closing out the Shure KSM-27 at 200 bucks a pop.
"You get a kink in your neck looking up at people or down at people. But when you look straight across, there's no kinks."
--Mike Watt

Brian Brock
buyin' a studio

Post by Brian Brock » Mon May 18, 2009 2:11 pm

have you tried the 421 on vocals? it can be a great sound. you could put the money you'd spend on a sm7 towards a better condenser, which is where your choices are really limited.

The Audio Technica AT4033 is a cheaper LDC that I'm consistently happy with on vocals. It's a smooth sound. A Royer-modded MXL 2001 has served me as a grabbier sound for voice. A Mojave MA200 should be a much better mic along those lines. I haven't tried that Shure mic, but I would be interested in it if I was looking for a cheap mic.

Since this is for recording your own band, you can look for a mic that fits the singer's voice best.

sir hills
gettin' sounds

Post by sir hills » Mon May 18, 2009 2:34 pm

+1 on the 4033...one of my favs & works very well for backups & female vox. I absolutely LOVE it on bass cabs. Sounds great on acoustic as a body / sound-hole mic paired with a 57 around the 12th fret. I also like it on kick & piano too. Oh, & male vox that are in touch with their feminine side...falsetto or whispery. A great mic or pair to have around. Brian Brock is quite right that they are smooth...definitely not brittle like a lot of cheaper condensers.

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Mon May 18, 2009 5:35 pm

Audio Technica 4050. One of the most versatile and useful mics on the planet.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

jaguarsg
pushin' record

Post by jaguarsg » Mon May 18, 2009 5:39 pm

cgarges wrote:Audio Technica 4050. One of the most versatile and useful mics on the planet.
+1.

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Mon May 18, 2009 7:22 pm

What do you know? Here's a good deal on one:
http://messageboard.tapeop.com/viewtopic.php?t=64365

(Gotta love this board!)

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

Jeff White
ghost haunting audio students

Post by Jeff White » Mon May 18, 2009 8:44 pm

jaguarsg wrote:
cgarges wrote:Audio Technica 4050. One of the most versatile and useful mics on the planet.
+1.
+2!!!
I record, mix, and master in my Philly-based home studio, the Spacement. https://linktr.ee/ipressrecord

RowdyGleason
audio school graduate

Post by RowdyGleason » Mon May 18, 2009 10:24 pm

I was using a Rode NT-2 today against a 4050 running through a UA 2176 into PTHD. I liked them both for separate applications, such as the 4050 on strummed acoustic, but the NT-2 shone through better on a dreadnought playing lead (obviously some of the UA's influence...). Nevertheless, I like these cheaper Rodes for the price! Not too shabby...
"A wizard is never late, nor is he early, he arrives precisely when he means to."

endofanera
gettin' sounds

Post by endofanera » Tue May 19, 2009 7:50 am

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC
Agreed.
"You get a kink in your neck looking up at people or down at people. But when you look straight across, there's no kinks."
--Mike Watt

fossiltooth
carpal tunnel

Post by fossiltooth » Tue May 19, 2009 8:11 am

Totally. For anyone who wants a mic as useful as a 414BULS but at half the price and quite a bit more "modern" and "open" sounding.

tdbajus
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by tdbajus » Tue May 19, 2009 9:00 am

fossiltooth wrote:Totally. For anyone who wants a mic as useful as a 414BULS but at half the price and quite a bit more "modern" and "open" sounding.
Are you refering to the AT4050?

I recently got a pair of the Bova Balls: http://www.sageelectronics.com/bb1.html

Have not sound anything that they don't sound fantastic on yet.

Brian Brock
buyin' a studio

Post by Brian Brock » Tue May 19, 2009 12:27 pm

do you guys like the 4050 on voice? I haven't heard one, but I understand they're pretty different from the 4033. I have heard the 414 and it didn't impress me as great for vocals - but I still bear a grudge over the c3000b.

Anyway, with that nice matched pair of Earthworks, I would think the versatility of the 4050 would be somewhat less important, and just getting a mic that sounds great on this singer's voice is the priority. And of course that's not something anyone outside can determine... that is a good deal on a 4050 though.

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Wed May 20, 2009 4:14 am

tdbajus wrote:
fossiltooth wrote:Totally. For anyone who wants a mic as useful as a 414BULS but at half the price and quite a bit more "modern" and "open" sounding.
Are you refering to the AT4050?

I recently got a pair of the Bova Balls: http://www.sageelectronics.com/bb1.html

Have not sound anything that they don't sound fantastic on yet.
I agree. They sound amazing on most things.
Even as an ambient mic for electric guitar and ambient on a vocal... really amazing microphones.

jkretz
gettin' sounds

Post by jkretz » Wed May 20, 2009 8:42 am

lots of good recommendations in this thread, thanks! i'm interested in more "vintage" (for lack of a better term) sounds. some modern records that i think sound great are - wilco's yankee hotel foxtrot and earlimart's mentortormentor.

this is why i was initially considering the sm7b, i like the way those vocals sound and was told that i should look at a large diaphragm dynamic to head in the direction...

is the at4050 (again for lack of a better word) more "modern" sounding? between the 4050 and the ksm27 what are the strengths and weaknesses?

thanks a bunch,
-josh