ghost haunting audio students

Drool over this, Sonic Youth fans!

Post by kayagum » Fri Jun 12, 2009 11:23 am

Top_Shelf
audio school

Post by Top_Shelf » Fri Jun 12, 2009 11:45 am

So awesome. Saw this here already:
http://musformation.com/2009/06/sonic-y ... aster.html

I actually want one of these! i know it sounds dumb, but i do!

Electro-Voice 664
re-cappin' neve

Post by Electro-Voice 664 » Fri Jun 12, 2009 2:52 pm

Now if only they could release a TAD Jazzmaster with authentic Pork Chop stickers.

"Play ethnicky jazz to parade your snazz. On your five grand stereo."

calaverasgrandes

Post by calaverasgrandes » Fri Jun 12, 2009 5:31 pm

yes everything no matter how cherished for its obscurity will be co-opted by the mainstream.
Your uniqueness will be added to ours,
resistance is futile.
shawty.
??????? wrote: "everything sounds best right before it blows up."

tdbajus
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by tdbajus » Fri Jun 12, 2009 10:04 pm

I'd be pretty thrilled if they just put out a hum-cancelling jazzmaster made out of alder or light/swamp ash.

Those fake wide-range pickups sound good in some guitars I've played- i womder if they'll have real cunife pole pieces, or if it will be a half-assed PAF in a cool looking case.

calaverasgrandes

Post by calaverasgrandes » Fri Jun 12, 2009 10:16 pm

Saw five dollar priest play in NYC about a week or so ago.
Original drummer of Sonic Youth (well the first one on any records I heard) Bob Bert and Norm Westberg of the Swans on guitar as well as some other nice guys on vocals and bass.
Awesome show. Got a great recording of one of the songs on my H4N. Those little things are gonna be 'taper' cult items in a few years. Kinda like the pixelvision for art students.
But yeah, this is kind of offensive to me the same way the Joe Strummer Tele is. It's just so fricking crass and silly.
the cool thing about jazzmasters was that they are the non-fendery fedner guitar that used to rattle around in the back of pawn shops until someone with a taste for the obscure bought one.
This (and the other couple of jazzmaster models) pretty much kills the possibility of ever getting a cheap one of those again. Well that and mister 'nevermind'.

Gentleman Jim
buyin' a studio

Post by Gentleman Jim » Fri Jun 12, 2009 10:34 pm

I don't think this is anywhere NEAR as offensive as that Joe Strummer Tele. That sticker pack of Shepard Fairey crapola made me wanna punch somebody. I get that Strummer's estate was involved, but that was just awful and tacky. Fake paint wear? C'mon.

On the other hand, these things actually look kind of ok. Yeah, I'm sure the pickups won't be exactly what every hard core guitar nerd would want, but the guitars themselves seem tasteful enough. And I like the minimalist electronics. In fact, I'd be willing to trade a volume knob for an on/off switch.

calaverasgrandes

Post by calaverasgrandes » Fri Jun 12, 2009 10:57 pm

true, if they keep them reasonable like the geddy lee model was initially. That might be cool. I would hope that thurston and lee would stipulate that they have to be affordable. But I am not holding my breath.
The strummer was retarded. Oh boy I can pay $2000 for a brand new guitar that looks like crap? especially given the anti-consumerist slant of the clash.
ick.
It's so weird being an old (post)punk rocker.
We were all supposed to be dead by now!
goddamn getting clean and cold war ending...shit.

Trick Fall
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Trick Fall » Fri Jun 12, 2009 11:07 pm

Those guitars are fugly. I hate the finish. I do like jazzmasters though and the modifications seem cool.

ubertar
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by ubertar » Sat Jun 13, 2009 4:54 am

Ranaldo also plays a Kapa Continental. Those are still cheap, and kind of Jaguar-ish and Kapa doesn't exist anymore, so no worries about a re-issue (unless Eastwood or someone does it). Kapa was a US company that was around from about 65 to 70.

He also has a Kapa Minstrel (teardrop shape):

calaverasgrandes

Post by calaverasgrandes » Sat Jun 13, 2009 11:22 am

I do have one sonic youth guitar.
well bass
the ovation magnum
Kim played one of those a lot in the earlier records. Its what she is playing on the cover of 'confusion is sex' I believe.
They totally shot up in price about 7-8 years ago. Not sure why.

leigh
carpal tunnel

Post by leigh » Sat Jun 13, 2009 1:20 pm

calaverasgrandes wrote:Saw five dollar priest play in NYC about a week or so ago.
Original drummer of Sonic Youth (well the first one on any records I heard) Bob Bert and Norm Westberg of the Swans on guitar as well as some other nice guys on vocals and bass.
Awesome show. Got a great recording of one of the songs on my H4N.
Sounds cool - have you posted your recording of the show anywhere?

I always liked Bob Bert's drum parts.

Original drummer for Sonic Youth was actually Richard Edson.

I have mixed feelings about these SY Fender guitars... I mean, good for them, after 25 years plus as a band, to get that signature model recognition. But it also feels icky, mostly in the marketing. Like "The Story" behind these models on the Fender site:
When Fender came to us with an offer to make signature models of our Jazzmaster guitars we jumped at the chance. These are the guitars that have defined the sound of Sonic Youth for more than 20 years... These guitars rock Sonic style!
Errrr, ick.

Leigh

calaverasgrandes

Post by calaverasgrandes » Sat Jun 13, 2009 2:23 pm

yeah its a pretty offensive branding attempt.
Like the link to a 'zine'?!
that hits me where it hurts, as I was one of those guys back in the early 80's that used to put out a zine chronicling the underbelly of civilization as I saw it. Most zines were thoroghly anti-establishment, anti-consumerist and in general were much more literate and exemplary of the punk/no-wave ethos than 99% of the bands of that era. Well at leat the good ones.
Cometbus is often bandied about, but Aaron was a late comer to the zine scene.
btw edson was only in the band for a minit. I always identify sonic youth with Berts drumming. You know how whenever you saw doctor who for the first time, thats who you consider tto be the best 'doctor' in the series? (Tom Baker!) Well its like that for bands I think as well.
My former band mate and still best friend teases me about how I dont like Sonic Youths new drummer. (that what I refer to shelley as) The one that's been with them for decades. Funny, I love the crucifucks.

47ronin
ass engineer

Post by 47ronin » Sun Jun 14, 2009 1:53 am

I actually think those could be pretty cool...I think the whole anti-commercial aspect of punk was always pretty stupid anyway. The Clash were never anti-commercial, they played stadiums and were a manufactured group to begin with. That doesn't mean their music wasn't awesome though.

47ronin
ass engineer

Post by 47ronin » Sun Jun 14, 2009 1:57 am

The 'zine thing is incredibly lame, though.

SY have always been a pretty calculated band, even in their "art student" incarnation. I don't know, I still think the idea that "underground" bands are supposed to be anti-careerist/success is kind of communist and dull.