musty records --- getting rid of that smell

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
soundispatch
ass engineer

musty records --- getting rid of that smell

Post by soundispatch » Sun May 25, 2003 10:36 pm

hey all,

jumping from the jazz post to the main forum (sorry if this is slightly off-topic), i picked up a bunch of amazing classic vinyl from a recycle shop, but they smell exactly like the shop. they're in great condition album-wise, but you know that musty, old bookshop, wet dog smell?

any techniques on getting this smell out of the jackets?

cheers,
cal

NewYorkDave
re-cappin' neve

Re: musty records --- getting rid of that smell

Post by NewYorkDave » Tue May 27, 2003 9:38 am

I'm giving this a bump because I'd love to know the answer as well. I have some musty old books, records and other stuff (stored in a basement for too long). My attempts thus far to banish the funk have been unsuccessful.

helstab
george martin

Post by helstab » Tue May 27, 2003 10:01 am

Just take some old spice Pure Sport to them. I have yet to smell a funk that old spice(pure sport) couldn't handle.

If you can't kill the mold.... mask it.
-Matthew Macchio$tab

Kevin Kitchel
buyin' gear

Post by Kevin Kitchel » Tue May 27, 2003 10:55 am

Best thread ev-ver.

aurelialuz
dead but not forgotten

Post by aurelialuz » Tue May 27, 2003 1:26 pm

[]
Last edited by aurelialuz on Tue Apr 06, 2004 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
"While every effort has been made to ensure optimum sound quality, priority has been given to historic content and importance."

trash180
takin' a dinner break

Post by trash180 » Tue May 27, 2003 2:04 pm

Yo,
My mom claims that if you put the musty book in the freezer it'll get rid of that smell. Kills the mold and stuff? I dunno. Worth a try.

Yer trying to get rid of the moisture, so a dehumidifyer in the room will help too, I s'pose.

Don't freeze or heat the actual record though...sheesh.

Jason

aurelialuz
dead but not forgotten

Post by aurelialuz » Tue May 27, 2003 2:29 pm

[]
Last edited by aurelialuz on Tue Apr 06, 2004 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
"While every effort has been made to ensure optimum sound quality, priority has been given to historic content and importance."

mybloodychirp
audio school

Post by mybloodychirp » Tue May 27, 2003 5:30 pm

i work at a record store where we turn around old LP collections everyday. ....advice about keeping the skank factor to a minimum.....

1. Look into replacing the old LP sleeves with some new blanks. those things ususally rot and crumble and cause alot of dust to accumulate on the record and in the jacket. save the originals a plastic bag if they have any record info on it.
2. Have some sort of ionizer/air purifier/ hepa filter, & use it. it will eliminate odors and dust all the time. they tend to be quiet and fairly unobtrusive as well. they cost anywhere from $40- 100 bucks. ( anyone in a small bedroom studio situation w/ your friends /bandmates hanging out and smoking and stuff, these things are awesome as well.)
3. Avoid storing the LPs in cardboard boxes or tight spaces. the skank seems to meld together and form some super compound of hell unbeknownst to the minions of our world.
4. the arm and hammer sounds like a good idea as well. maybe leave an opened container near the LPs to help with the smell.
5. ALways i repeat ALWAYS keep your records off of the floor and on a shelf (bookend style) if possible. I know from experience it will make jackets musty and vinyl scratchy from debris.

I know alot of this doesnt pertain to the stink, but you should be aware that LPs are almost always paper jacketed and can deriorate quite easily if left poorly attended. fresha air is always good, and a cheap air freshener of you selection could be used in the general area w/out any problems. if the smell is unbearable and stinking up the living space, you could get mylar sleeves for them. they cost less than 25 cents apiece and will prevent any future problems with wear/tear and smell.

soundispatch
ass engineer

Post by soundispatch » Tue May 27, 2003 10:21 pm

thanks chirp (and others),

i hear of another method that should work:

get a big plastic container (big enough to hold the records) and fill the bottom with baking soda, cat litter or charcoal briquettes. put the records on a tray and leave them in there a few days. the smell should be gone when you take them out...

sound plausible?

DeafinONEear
steve albini likes it

Post by DeafinONEear » Tue May 27, 2003 11:00 pm

I wouldn't go with the A/H or the Cat Litter just yet... Those things contain chemicals that I wouldn't really want getting into the LP's.... What I suggest is getting a big, AIRTIGHT, tupperware/rubbermaid container at, say, target and fill the bottom with Silica gel beads. They are rechargeable, so you can work on your collection, a few at a time, and recharge them after a load or two. And they suck (in a good way) really quickly. I have small bags if this stuff with all my microphones and they have to be recharged often (becasue there's so much goddamn moisture in the SF air!!!!)

I get all my silica at PreserveSmart. They are well priced and VERY helpful.... great service.
Last edited by DeafinONEear on Wed May 28, 2003 1:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

soundispatch
ass engineer

Post by soundispatch » Wed May 28, 2003 1:37 am

oops.

i meant the record jackets....

shipwrek
audio school

Post by shipwrek » Wed May 28, 2003 7:51 am

Try using Groove Glide.
That usually puts a kinda plastic, windex smell on all my records when i clean them with it.
But it sure does clean them & as for the old records I got, it doesnt hurt them @ all.
They all smell the same. =)
Phase is ALWAYS relevent