The Tape Op of Gardening?

Feedback on the current issue, ideas for articles, questions about Tape Op

Moderators: TapeOpJohn, TapeOpLarry

JES
tinnitus

The Tape Op of Gardening?

Post by JES » Thu Jul 02, 2009 7:08 pm

I know this is OT but I'm hoping it's interesting enough/I've posted enough useful stuff over the years to get away with it.

Is there a Tape Op of gardening? Better, container gardening (=bedroom studio). Spouse and I were discussing this on the porch this morning and I'd love to get it for her.

Someone mentioned a tape op of golf somewhere in the boards, so I thought it worth a try.

Best,
--JES

TapeOpLarry
TapeOp Admin
TapeOp Admin

Post by TapeOpLarry » Fri Jul 03, 2009 9:27 am

My friend does this online magazine, In/ur, which covers urban gardening a bit. Also, my old studio space is now an urban gardening supply shop. It was supposed to be torn down but I guess it was recycled. http://www.urbanfarmstore.com/
Larry Crane, Editor/Founder Tape Op Magazine
please visit www.tapeop.com for contact information
(do not send private messages via this board!)
www.larry-crane.com

Aj
pushin' record

Post by Aj » Fri Jul 03, 2009 4:38 pm

I know this isn't what you're asking, but there is a magazine about cooking that my wife and I always joke is her "TapeOp."

It's called Cook's Illustrated, and it's really amazing that it even exists (kind of like TapeOp) - clearly it's a labor of love for the editor/writers, and the articles, recipes, and "gear" reviews are the best you'll find anywhere (they'll do something like make macaroni and cheese 45 different ways in order to find the exact best method, and even consult food scientists to figure out why the best recipe works).

Also, they don't accept any advertising. It's an amazing read. I can't help but skim it when it comes (after she's done with it!), and don't even really cook.

Aj

P.S. Each issue there's a new painting (my wife's friend always frames hers) of different species of vegetables or fruits on the back cover. It's not container gardening, but it's plants! Also, the editor is a farmer (in Vermont) and his monthly editorial often covers farming/planting related topics.
Latest single from Druckman Bros. here

TapeOpLarry
TapeOp Admin
TapeOp Admin

Post by TapeOpLarry » Fri Jul 03, 2009 5:42 pm

Yeah, Cooks Illustrated is amazing. I don't understand how it works, economically. Maybe the books and assorted other media pays? Paid subscriptions are usually a wash financially. Really...
www.larry-crane.com

Aj
pushin' record

Post by Aj » Fri Jul 03, 2009 8:25 pm

I'm guessing they make something on all those great books (hardcovers). But - kind of like you - I don't think anyone's getting rich on it. It's just something they want to do.

Aj

TapeOpLarry
TapeOp Admin
TapeOp Admin

Post by TapeOpLarry » Sat Jul 04, 2009 10:41 am

I'm not getting rich? Oh yeah, John embezzles all the profits for his gambling problem.
www.larry-crane.com

comfortstarr
re-cappin' neve

Post by comfortstarr » Sat Jul 04, 2009 10:59 am

gardenweb is pretty good.

Aj
pushin' record

Post by Aj » Sat Jul 04, 2009 4:59 pm

:lol:

lacquer_monkey
gettin' sounds

Post by lacquer_monkey » Sat Jul 04, 2009 8:15 pm

Back in "the day" (whenever that was...) Organic Gardening was the TapeOp of gardening. I have no idea if they still exist but Mr. Rodale has gone to the garden in the sky. Look for back issues in the archives of your local library. Look for any books by John Jeavons if you want maximum food per square foot.
uh... what??

TapeOpLarry
TapeOp Admin
TapeOp Admin

Post by TapeOpLarry » Sun Jul 05, 2009 10:54 am

oh man, I forgot about Organic Gardening. My folks subscribed in the early 70's when we moved "back to the land" and had a little farm/ranch in the woods. OG helped a lot in sourcing tools (Tro-Bilt rototiller), finding seeds and learning to grow your own stuff. We ate well as kids, even had goats, chickens, sheep, etc. But damn, they sure found a lot of chores for me to do...

Organic Gardening is still around. A trial issue is free. http://www.organicgardening.com/
www.larry-crane.com

centurymantra
buyin' a studio

Post by centurymantra » Tue Jul 07, 2009 7:28 am

Aj wrote:I know this isn't what you're asking, but there is a magazine about cooking that my wife and I always joke is her "TapeOp."

It's called Cook's Illustrated, and it's really amazing that it even exists (kind of like TapeOp) - clearly it's a labor of love for the editor/writers, and the articles, recipes, and "gear" reviews are the best you'll find anywhere (they'll do something like make macaroni and cheese 45 different ways in order to find the exact best method, and even consult food scientists to figure out why the best recipe works).

Also, they don't accept any advertising. It's an amazing read. I can't help but skim it when it comes (after she's done with it!), and don't even really cook.

Aj

P.S. Each issue there's a new painting (my wife's friend always frames hers) of different species of vegetables or fruits on the back cover. It's not container gardening, but it's plants! Also, the editor is a farmer (in Vermont) and his monthly editorial often covers farming/planting related topics.
Haha...yes that is pretty awesome cooking zine. I even have a few issues kicking around. I had never really thought about it in this light, and never realized that they didn't even accept advertising. Very cool.

Bryan
Shoeshine Recording Studio
"Pop music is sterile, country music is sterile. That's one of the reasons I keep going back to baseball" - Doug Sahm