Do you feel the need for a clean axe?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

vvv
zen recordist

Do you feel the need for a clean axe?

Post by vvv » Sat Jul 18, 2009 3:22 pm

Inspiring myself, (see here,) I gotta ask, how often/do you clean your axe(s)?

I mean, see this, for example:

That "V" is some sticker glue I moved around with my thumb-nail back in '92, there's some blood from a gig in '94 and watercolor paint my daughter did about '00.

I do wipe the strings off if I've sweat real hard, (but look at that fret-board!) if I remember, and have something to do it with.

And actually, I only change strings when one breaks ... I have a bass what's had the same strings since I bought it in '84. :twisted:
Last edited by vvv on Sat Jul 18, 2009 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

Meriphew
deaf.

Post by Meriphew » Sat Jul 18, 2009 3:25 pm

I really need to...

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Sat Jul 18, 2009 3:27 pm

I just spewed coffee on my screen! :lol:
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Sat Jul 18, 2009 9:50 pm

I do wipe down my guitars and try to keep them clean, especially when I'm changing strings. But I think a little road wear is unavoidable if you're a serious player.

As I'm starting to mess around with refinishing one of my guitars I'm seeing a lot of guys who are into "relic-ing" guitars, making a new paint job look like it's been played for 20 years. Putting deliberate dings in it, wearing off the paint in spots, dirtying up the pickups and knobs...I dunno, my thought is, if you want a guitar that looks like it's been played for twenty years, buy a guitar and play it for twenty years.

that G&L has absolutely got plenty of character, I'll say that.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

johnnydove
pushin' record

Post by johnnydove » Sun Jul 19, 2009 12:53 am

dwlb wrote:As I'm starting to mess around with refinishing one of my guitars I'm seeing a lot of guys who are into "relic-ing" guitars, making a new paint job look like it's been played for 20 years. Putting deliberate dings in it, wearing off the paint in spots, dirtying up the pickups and knobs...
i've been noticing that too and the funny thing is if they saw an actual vintage guitar that was all beat up they probably wouldn't take a second look, especially if it was sitting right next to the exact same model in near mint condition. people are funny that way.
-johnny

Meriphew
deaf.

Post by Meriphew » Sun Jul 19, 2009 12:17 pm

I don't worry too much about cleaning my guitars. A little grunge/dings/scrapes/bruises just adds character to my Strats & Teles. If I were to spill beer on them, or something like that, then I would certainly clean them.

AstroDan
george martin

Post by AstroDan » Sun Jul 19, 2009 2:25 pm

If it's rock, I expect - no, demand - a dirty guitar. If I were doing an Eyes Wide Shut type of gig with a D'Angelico, I would want it to be clean.

As long as my frets are clean and my guitar doesn't stick to me, I'm good.
"I have always tried to present myself as the type of person who enjoys watching dudes fight other dudes with iron claws."

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Mon Jul 20, 2009 11:01 pm

AstroDan wrote:As long as my frets are clean and my guitar doesn't stick to me, I'm good.
same here.
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

ashcat_lt
tinnitus

Post by ashcat_lt » Tue Jul 21, 2009 9:31 am

I think I'd be much happier if I did keep my guitars clean. Unfortunately, I usually only think about cleaning when I'm packing them up for a gig, and don't have time.

The Rick, though, won't play if it gets too nasty. The wax on the back of the neck gets all beaded up and sticky.

Meriphew
deaf.

Post by Meriphew » Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:48 am

Very cool avatar Ruffle!

travelingsales
audio school graduate

Post by travelingsales » Tue Jul 21, 2009 12:50 pm

I change my strings pretty regularly, and I usually try to wipe down my necks and scrape the fret gunk off with the edge of a pick while I'm at it. But otherwise I don't do much cleaning. Although, I did just get a setup done on my Strat by someone who actually knew what they were doing, and I can hardly believe how much better the neck feels now that it's not covered in dry sweat.

niccolo gallio
takin' a dinner break

Post by niccolo gallio » Tue Jul 21, 2009 2:25 pm

Do you really use a guitar to chop wood??
:shock:

:D

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Tue Jul 21, 2009 2:32 pm

Well, a good one gives it to me ...

:twisted:
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

ott0bot
dead but not forgotten

Post by ott0bot » Tue Jul 21, 2009 7:04 pm

Well my hands tend to sweat alot when I play, so I clean up my guitar as needed. Occasionally wiping down the strings an what not. But as long as there isn't any junk built up all over I'm usually ok with it. I do tend to clean the guitar body and fret board pretty thoroughly when changing strings. I'm a bit of a neat freak.

mingus2112
re-cappin' neve

Post by mingus2112 » Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:50 am

wow. . .i'm pretty serious about keeping my guitars in shape. besides liking my instruments to look their best, dirt has a way of finding its way to places you DON'T want it. Corroding frets, filthy pots, dry rot/cracking fingerboard. . .all of these things are just bad bad bad. This reminds me of the old debate about keeping your guitar in the proper environment (humidity/temperature). I had my old landlord give me his expensive archtop to repair and I refused it until he humidified the thing. Sure he's had it for 15 years and nothing's happened. . .but i'd go in there, adjust the neck, and watch the soundboard crack under pressure!!

Anyhow. . .dirt is another one of those things. I have a buddy who, when I met him, had a guitar that looked like he dropped it down an elevator shaft. . .but the frets and fingerboard were PRISTINE.

I guess it's another personal preference thing. . .but I just like my gear clean. I even wash my hands before I play. . .and yes. . .even gigs. . .even rock gigs!

-J
HWJLHC?