Latest gear you've acquired.....

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

jgimbel
carpal tunnel

Re: do it right ...once

Post by jgimbel » Tue Jul 28, 2009 1:38 pm

calaverasgrandes wrote:One thing I used to do in my sound reinforcement days was;
after done testing the newly made/fixed cable, I would unscrew the housing on each end and squirt shoe goo in there.
I can only assume you mean grind up a shoe in a blender with some oil.. surely I'm correct, right? Joking aside, what kind of shoe goo are we talking?

calaverasgrandes
ghost haunting audio students

Post by calaverasgrandes » Tue Jul 28, 2009 1:44 pm

shoe goo, the stuff you use to fix holes in sneakers. Maybe it's brand name shoo goo or something I dont recall. There is a blue label kind and red label kind. Comes in a few colors. I just buy whatevers cheapest.
My reasoning is that I very rarely ever resolder an old connector. I usually will just chop off the whole connector anyway. Then re-strip, cut and solder to a new connector. So filling the empty cavity inside the connector was a no-brainer. It certainly makes it more mechanically sound.
Never had one of those die on me. Instead the cables would go south from being chewed in the middle. The canare stuff used to be a lot softer than the belden so it would get chewed pretty easily. But hey, I like pretty colors.
??????? wrote: "everything sounds best right before it blows up."

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Tue Jul 28, 2009 6:25 pm

Somebody email me when the group at large finally thinks this thread needs to be closed. Seeing it here is like a tradition now. It is amazing.
:wink:

dave watkins
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by dave watkins » Tue Jul 28, 2009 7:56 pm

Joel, i do believe this thread must never end, if it did we would have the board running rampant with a multitude of threads with people who are totally stoked on their new gear. this keeps everything in a nice organized explosion of gear excitement. definitely a tradition worth keeping.

for instance right now i am oh so stoked on the 20" Zildjian flat ride i got a couple weeks ago, it sounds delicious.

and more over, after many years, i finally convinced my mom to give me her magnus organ, think its from the 50's or 60's.
the power on/power off sounds are magic all by themselves, as is the one key that doesn't actually work that well but provides automatic horror movie sounds. and it's made of Bakelite.

also convinced my sister to give me her Casio SA - 21 which you can hear all over Trans Am's self titled record.

o cheap toy keyboard glory!
the tape is rolling, the ones and zeros are... um... ones and zeroing.
http://www.davewatkinsmusic.com

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Tue Jul 28, 2009 8:17 pm

jgimbel wrote:
trodden wrote:
jgimbel wrote:Spent the past couple days resoldering the pile of 1/4" and XLR cables with bad connections that's been sitting around here forever. Not new, but newly functional. That counts, right?
you wann hit my growing pile of the same? just can't get around too it.. boring.
Actually, I wouldn't mind doing that! I used to solder years ago and haven't done it since. I've just started up again and I forgot how much I actually like it. I don't mind doing those tasks that are equally mindless and take concentration. I wouldn't mind having a bigger pile to work on, especially if it helps someone else!
just another thing on the every growing list of crap i need to get done..

at least today i spent $600 on getting some teeth fixed.... money goes quick without insurance...

new teeth, new gear...

jgimbel
carpal tunnel

Post by jgimbel » Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:13 pm

Dave, I've got a Magnus organ from the mid-60s that's not all that different from yours! I got it for $20 on Craigslist. I haven't seen many of them, so I was surprised to see that. I'd use mine all the time, except for the fact that the whole range of notes is all very flat (I haven't used it in a while, it might be that in addition to that, the notes are different altogether). Because of that, I can only use it with instruments that can be tuned close to it easily, excluding piano, among other things. I don't have pitch-changing software that's artifact-free enough to make it usable. Anyone got ideas about a way to fix this? Actually I may have to start a thread about that since not everyone is looking at the "new equipment" thread to comment on my organ situation (bad choice of words?).

PS - joel, this thread is one i look forward to seeing almost every day, i love seeing what people are getting! people post here more often than i get new equipment myself, so i can at least feel others' excitement! Long live this thread!

calaverasgrandes
ghost haunting audio students

Post by calaverasgrandes » Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:31 pm

thats one thing analog has over digital.
Artifact free pitch! I have used and abused the varispeed of multitracks to get them in tune with many things, including a cheapo electric reed organ.
??????? wrote: "everything sounds best right before it blows up."

tactics
steve albini likes it

Post by tactics » Wed Jul 29, 2009 1:01 am

joel hamilton wrote:Somebody email me when the group at large finally thinks this thread needs to be closed. Seeing it here is like a tradition now. It is amazing.
:wink:
Needs more photos !
Lets get this thing to 100+ pages, row people row!!
cleantone wrote:
Microphone Case, Black, Plastic N/A $30.00
What is this case like? I've been thinking about getting one.

junkstar
re-cappin' neve

402 VLZ3

Post by junkstar » Wed Jul 29, 2009 5:32 am

Sick of full gear recording of simple two-mic podcasts which I do often, I purchased a Mackie 402 VLZ3, a two-input tiny little board. Really happy with it. Has the power and sound you expect from Mackie, and has freed up some serious space on my desk.

dave watkins
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by dave watkins » Wed Jul 29, 2009 12:27 pm

yeah the magnus organs can be had super cheap if you can find them, i want to get some of the other models they made as well, see them on ebay a bunch. they are definitely a novelty. the only thing i have recorded with it, i pretty much tuned the other instruments to match the organ, so i don't have any thoughts about smoothing its lack of dead on pitch. i really like the fact that it is ever so slightly off, it's got character.

i'll post the song i did with organ a few years ago when i get a chance.
the tape is rolling, the ones and zeros are... um... ones and zeroing.
http://www.davewatkinsmusic.com

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Wed Jul 29, 2009 1:20 pm

A Digidesign 8 channel A/D converter card for my 192 box.

Now I can record 16 tracks at once...

Oh Lord what have I done?!?!?!?!??!
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

jgimbel
carpal tunnel

Post by jgimbel » Thu Jul 30, 2009 6:09 am

Dave, I look forward to hearing that. If mine was only slightly off pitch, I'd love it. I usually love when things aren't perfect in sound, that's what makes them sound real. However my organ is like perfectly between notes or something - I really need to plug it in again, maybe it's not as bad as I had originally though. Keep us posted on that song!

RodC
dead but not forgotten

Post by RodC » Thu Jul 30, 2009 6:29 am

dave watkins wrote:Joel, i do believe this thread must never end,

There can only be one!!
'Well, I've been to one world fair, a picnic, and a rodeo, and that's the stupidest thing I ever heard come over a set of earphones'

http://www.beyondsanityproductions.com
http://www.myspace.com/beyondsanity

jgimbel
carpal tunnel

Post by jgimbel » Thu Jul 30, 2009 6:55 am

I recently got back from a two-week trip to southeast China. After spending the day on a small but beautiful island called Gulangyu (and meeting an awesome girl who spoke English way too well) I found a guitar store in Xiamen where we were staying. It was a good day.

This guitar cost ?320, which works out to about $47 USD. It's a cheap guitar and it shows, with its plastic grapeleaf soundholes, but somehow it sounds incredible. Great string sound and really full bass, much better than my Ovation Celebrity. Plus there's no onboard preamp, which I never use anyway!

The brand is "Super" -

Meriphew
deaf.

Post by Meriphew » Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:49 am

Looks like a major score for $47.