Crotch Mic

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Mystic Steamship Co.
steve albini likes it

Crotch Mic

Post by Mystic Steamship Co. » Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:36 pm

I've seen a lot of people make references to this setup. From what I've gathered its a mic right above the kick facing right at the drummers crotch. What does this microphone typically add to the sound of the kit? I think i remember reading somewhere that it's often ultra compressed or distorted. It would be cool if somebody could explain this technique a little bit, I only have a vague understanding of it.

A.David.MacKinnon
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Tue Aug 11, 2009 2:06 am

AKA the heart mic.
I often use an omni here (EV 635a). It will give you a very present and quite balanced picture of the whole kit. I'll often use a distortion pedal as the pre (usually a Ross or MXR). When I do this I end up just sneaking the crotch mic in under the rest of the drum mix. The result is quite similar to using very aggressive parallel compression on the drum bus. It will reinforce the kit sound and give the kick and snare some extra attack and presence.
It doesn't work as well on cymbal heavy tunes though. It will tend to make cymbals harsh and splashy.

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Tue Aug 11, 2009 12:43 pm

It can really help the BD punch through a mix even when not terribly loud. If it's distorted and hyper compressed (either from the nature of distortion or with an actual compressor) sometimes it can even be the basis of the drum sound with the close mics and OH as the supplement.

Click http://www.myspace.com/wiplot and listen to "Not Much Left" the last song. Most of the drum sound is crotch mic.

JWL
deaf.

Post by JWL » Tue Aug 11, 2009 12:58 pm

I love the crotch mic technique. I've often used a 57 (or other similar mics that I prefer to a 57), placed between the kick and the underside of the snare, pointed at the drummer's crotch.

Compress the heck out of it, add distortion, etc. Experiment with placement, sometimes it's cool to have it also pick up the hihat well, along with kick and snare. Sneak this in underneath the mix, etc etc.

Z-Plane
pushin' record

Post by Z-Plane » Tue Aug 11, 2009 1:27 pm

Fascinating. Is there an ass-miking technique out there as well ?

(insert suitable drummer joke here)

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Tue Aug 11, 2009 1:36 pm

i don't have a joke, but a pzm under the drummers throne can be cool. sounds weird by itself, but mixed in with everything else it adds a nice realism.

casey campbell
buyin' a studio

Post by casey campbell » Tue Aug 11, 2009 1:56 pm

Z-Plane wrote:Fascinating. Is there an ass-miking technique out there as well ?

i've got one:

how do you get a drummer off of your porch?
pay him for the pizza! har dee har har har

Scodiddly
genitals didn't survive the freeze

Post by Scodiddly » Tue Aug 11, 2009 3:07 pm

Actually yes, and to add humor points it's been attributed to that Albini guy. Put a mic on a short stand right behind the drum stool, run it through the usual crappy compressor.

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Tue Aug 11, 2009 8:44 pm

Scodiddly wrote:
Actually yes, and to add humor points it's been attributed to that Albini guy. Put a mic on a short stand right behind the drum stool, run it through the usual crappy compressor.
The guys at Reflection in Charlotte have been doing it for years. I don't know whether it was a Don Dixon creation, but it tends to get attributed to him a lot around here. Many NC guys use this technique. I think I first heard about those guys doing it in like 1989. They call it the "butt mic."

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

Spindrift
pushin' record

Post by Spindrift » Wed Aug 12, 2009 6:33 am

There is actually. I like to put a mic (often a 57) behind the throne, between the throne and the tom, pointing perpendicular to the kit.

I once did a live recording and there was a guitar amp miced by the kit for a different band. That mic became the core of the drum sound for the band I was recording. The next time I was in the studio, I set up a 57 in the same position, but facing the kit. It was cool, but ended up sounding way better when I once again turned it away from the kit.

a.
"Bounce it around, lose a little quality. I can't hear that stuff anyway." - Tchad Blake

www.14blue.com

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Wed Aug 12, 2009 6:41 pm

Chris Mara-CJMNASH has a specific mic he uses as the ass mic!

cjmnash
re-cappin' neve

Post by cjmnash » Sat Aug 15, 2009 7:53 am

yes i do! it's called the ass mic. lol it took me a few years to figure out where to put it...turns out a crappy mic right below the drummers' ass is a great spot.

besides, i love having track sheets with "ass" written on them.

-chris
Owner: Welcome To 1979 Studio & Mara Machines

mojobone
audio school graduate

Post by mojobone » Sun Sep 06, 2009 7:31 pm

PZM on the wall behind the drummer-right at ass level gives you a good balance of kick and snare, higher up gets more cymbal, not as good if you're going to use an LMC-1 or other 'crap it up' compressor for flava.
The blues ain't got no dental plan

A.David.MacKinnon
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Sun Sep 06, 2009 11:28 pm

The ass mic is out-weighing the crotch mic in this thread. This should have been a poll.

mjau
speech impediment

Post by mjau » Mon Sep 07, 2009 1:32 am

I've duct-taped a crappy Fostex dynamic mic to the bottom of the drum throne, pointing at the kick drum. No need for compression or eq - the mic already sounds awful and distorts easily.